Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Missouri Fall Academic Tournament (10/16/2010)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Charlie Dees

Missouri Fall Academic Tournament (10/16/2010)

Post by Charlie Dees »

Dear Coaches,

The University of Missouri Quizbowl Club is pleased to announce that we are planning on hosting our third annual Missouri Fall Academic Tournament on October 16th, 2010. This is the first invitational tournament of the year, and we hope you will consider our event as a season kickoff for your team. In our past two years, we have had the incredible fortune to be able to attract many of the very best teams in the state from both major cities and all places in between, so we hope to be able to offer you another chance to play many of this year’s most competitive teams.

We will be using an Invitational Series set written by National Academic Quiz Tournaments, and we will use the same game format as last year (20 tossups with 30 point rebounding bonuses, and tossups will have -5 point penalties for an early buzz that is incorrect, and powers, or an extra 5 points for a correct early buzz).

Our tournament has been certified by the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, a statewide group promoting high quality quizbowl. Criteria for certification include pyramidal questions, a guarantee of six rounds minimum per team, and other factors that MOQBA considers valuable for high quality quizbowl. Details on MOQBA and its certification procedures can be found online at moqba.org

This tournament will be using a rule where each team can have a maximum of 6 players. If you have more than that, do not feel hesitant signing up an extra team so that every player gets more opportunities to participate in games.

The field will be capped at 18 teams, although if there is demand and space we will consider expansion of the field. Spaces will be allotted on a first-come, first-serve basis. We will form a waitlist, and if teams drop, we will proceed down the list in order. If the field fills, then we will be able to guarantee you a 10 game schedule, which we are very excited to offer your team to allow them to get increased early season playing time. Also, if we fill the field, then the top 3 teams and possibly the top small school will qualify for the 2011 NAQT High School National Championship in Atlanta. Additionally, the top teams will qualify for the 2011 PACE National Scholastics Championship at Northwestern University in Illinois.

Entry Fees
First team from a school: $70
Additional teams from the same school: $60
Buzzer system discount*: -$5 per system per team, up to $15 off.
Staffer discount: -$5 per team that brings a scorekeeper the morning of the tournament. This can be a coach, parent, or any other person attending who isn’t playing. We will provide the scorekeeper with a lunch.
* In order to receive the buzzer system discount, the system must be fully functional for 8 players.

To register, please email me at mizzouquizbowl@gmail.com with the name of your school, how many teams you wish to enter, and the best way to contact you with any questions.

Don't hesitate to respond early! We will work with you every step of the way, allay your concerns, and answer any questions you may have.

Also, be sure to look out for our other tournaments on December 4th, and in February. Our campus will also be hosting the Missouri NAQT Qualifier tournament on March 5th.

We hope to see you in Columbia on October 16th to kick off the new quizbowl season!

Charles Dees
Co-Tournament Director

P.S. We would like to recommend that if you are interested in finding more practice material to prepare for our events, you check out quizbowlpackets.com, which is an archive of hundreds of high school packets.
Last edited by Charlie Dees on Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Re: Missouri Fall Academic Tournament (10/16/2010)

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Sadly (for some, but perhaps a sigh of relief for others) I'll be in Kirksville that weekend for Truman's homecoming. Sounds like another great start to the year, and I hope everyone who can make it to Columbia does so.

Although, it is interesting to see there be a firm limit of six on a team. While everyone's favorite pseudo-Orwellian institution on Keane Street says teams are allowed eight on their roster, and I'm not one to fuss over its implementation, I'd like to see how this turns out. Probably will work out for everyone, as teams determine their direction for the year.

</blithering-digression>

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

That rule has been in place at every MU tournament since I reactivated the team in 2008, and I think it's gone fine.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

We just got assigned IS-96 by NAQT.

octo

Post by octo »

JCHS is interested in this. My coach will email you at some point.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Field:
Centralia - confirmed
Clayton - confirmed
Hickman - confirmed
Jefferson City - confirmed
Kickapoo (2) - confirmed
Ladue Horton Watkins - confirmed
Lutheran (St. Peters) - confirmed
North Kansas City - confirmed
North Shelby - confirmed
Oakville - confirmed
Pilot Grove - confirmed
Rock Bridge - confirmed
Tuscumbia (2) - confirmed
Villa Duchesne (2) - confirmed
West Jr. High - confirmed
Last edited by Charlie Dees on Tue Oct 12, 2010 11:10 pm, edited 23 times in total.

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

Tuscumbia would like to express interest.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

We are now officially MSHSAA sanctioned, and we are half full. If you are interested in attending, just be sure to email me at mizzouquizbowl@gmail.com.

Machina

Post by Machina »

I know that Villa is interested in bringing at least one team, if not two. Mr. L will be in contact with you soon, if he hasn't already.

Techno_Viking

Post by Techno_Viking »

Thomas Jefferson has a new Quizbowl team, and may or may be coming to this tournament and any others in the 2010-2011 season. I'll put the coach into contact with as many other coaches as I can, and it would be wonderful if you could send me any helpful information.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

We have 5 remaining spots, and 6 teams that expressed interest but did not register officially. If you want to guarantee yourself a spot in this field, I would recommend getting in touch with me very soon.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Field:
West Jr. High
Just out of curiosity, which school exactly is this referring to? The one in Belleville?

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

The one in Columbia.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Only one spot left, if you want to guarantee a spot for your team be sure to register soon.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Our field is now full with the addition of Clayton. If you would like to attend, you can still register, we will have a waitlist, and if anybody drops out of the field we will add your team.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Ladue dropped one team, so we now have an open spot again. If you want to claim it, this is your chance.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

North Kansas City added, so we are back to full.

ChippytheSavage

Post by ChippytheSavage »

ashkenaziCD wrote:North Kansas City added, so we are back to full.
So their team is back on?

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

I like how Parkway Central has essentially disappeared this year... I don't know why I said "I like" since it means "It makes me sad".

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

ZhangC1459 wrote:I like how Parkway Central has essentially disappeared this year... I don't know why I said "I like" since it means "It makes me sad".
I'm working on it [by proxy].
They're definitely aware of some of the tournaments, but I informed my little brother of all the tournaments he should talk to Mrs. Zenfell about.
Also, keep in mind that we never actually mobilized this early in the year either :p
(not that it's a good thing, just saying)

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

dividebyzero wrote:
ZhangC1459 wrote:I like how Parkway Central has essentially disappeared this year... I don't know why I said "I like" since it means "It makes me sad".
I'm working on it [by proxy].
They're definitely aware of some of the tournaments, but I informed my little brother of all the tournaments he should talk to Mrs. Zenfell about.
Also, keep in mind that we never actually mobilized this early in the year either :p
(not that it's a good thing, just saying)
yeah, I tried emailing Mrs. Zenfell about this one, but no dice.

Also, Pace is at NU this year? Why do they always move locations AFTER we've left? That would've been awesome if we could go to PACE at Northwestern

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

Not that MSHSAA ever checks on such things, I still want to put a message out reminding everyone to have your students put into your online eligibility rosters before competing in any interscholastic event.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

CentraliaCoach wrote:Not that MSHSAA ever checks on such things, I still want to put a message out reminding everyone to have your students put into your online eligibility rosters before competing in any interscholastic event.
I also recall MSHSAA changing the way pre-season rules are presented to coaches. MSHSAA have done away with regional meetings where the rules are reviewed. Instead, these are done exclusively online now, and all persons coaching scholar bowl teams in the state are to log onto MSHSAA's Web site and review them. I presume this reminder has already been relayed to coaches in appropriate fora.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Sorry if I missed it, but what building is this going to be in?

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Arts and Science. We tried to get Cornell but apparently they have a stupid rule that only business organizations can use it.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I just wanted to say I'm incredibly excited, it looks like all 18 teams are for sure coming. Also, there isn't much greater a form of flattery as a tournament director than stumbling on multiple facebook wall posts from players talking about this event. I'm really happy that you guys are so excited over Mizzou tournaments, and good luck to everyone.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

This is indeed exciting to be starting a new season. Looking forward to seeing everyone.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

DeckardCain wrote:This is indeed exciting to be starting a new season. Looking forward to seeing everyone.
What Matt said.

I might post my game scores on twitter.com/moquizbowl if I remember to do so.

Good luck to everyone today!

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:I might post my game scores on twitter.com/moquizbowl if I remember to do so.
Same here - twitter.com/mchadbourne

octo

Post by octo »

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

The teams advancing to the playoffs are Clayton (4-1), Jefferson City (4-1), Ladue (5-0), North Shelby (4-1), Rock Bridge (5-0), and Villa Duchesne A (5-0).

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Ladue goes 10-0, 5-0 in the playoffs, having 2 more wins than everybody else in the field! Max Schindler from Ladue also was the top scorer, putting up an incredible 131 points per game as a sophomore. Villa Duchesne beat Rock Bridge in a one game tiebreaker for 2nd place, and North Shelby defeated Centralia in the first game of an advantaged final for the small school championship. The all tournament team was made up of Max, Sabrina Fritz, Sam Haynes, Aaron Seider, Craig Chval, Mark Richter, and Andy Atkins. We will have our stats posted later today. Teams performed incredibly well today, and I think it's possible this could be the strongest overall season of Missouri quizbowl yet, so hearty congratulations all around.
Last edited by socalcaptain on Sat Oct 16, 2010 5:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: minor spelling error

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

This was a most excellent day. I was highly impressed with the strength of this field.

Congrats to Ladue, Villa Duchesne, Rock Bridge, North Shelby, and Centralia on excellent team performances, and to Max, Sabrina, Sam, Aaron, Craig, Mark, and Andy on their impressive player statlines.

I will be posting stats as soon as the statskeeper emails me the files.

octo

Post by octo »

This was a spectacular event. From what I saw the staff ran the tournament flawlessly, and the top bracket games were the most competitive and exciting games I have ever played. Kudos to Charlie et al. for running such a great tournament to start the season.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

ashkenaziCD wrote: Max Schindler from Ladue also was the top scorer, putting up an incredible 131 points per game as a sophomore.
Looks like we've got another powerhouse joining the crew. I'll be interested to see the stats breakdown when it comes out. Top scorers are fine and dandy, but [for obvious reasons] I like taking a good look at all of the players/teams in detail and how they fared against each other. Always intriguing to see how teams progress and grow throughout the year.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Remember to not post anything that could remotely indicate any answer in the set, as it is being used all year.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Here are the statistics (sorry Alex, away from your email too long :D )
Prelims - http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Playoffs - http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings

Also, the bracket wasn't actually The Ghost Rider, Chris.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Long work dinner. :( Oh wells. YAY STATS!

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Cool. I like stats too.
The one thing that confuses me is P/B. Aren't those usually out of 30? Or are they calculated differently than I recall?
(they're all listed as < 1 here)

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

The number calculated here is a percentage, represented as a decimal. If you multiply the number by 30, it will equal the usual bonus conversion out of 30.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I would like to congratulate Mizzou on their best run event yet! In addition, congrats to all teams for participating in a well-played day, and in particular, those who received bids to nats. I look forward to seeing you there!

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Here are the statistics (sorry Alex, away from your email too long :D )
Prelims - http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Playoffs - http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings

Also, the bracket wasn't actually The Ghost Rider, Chris.
... I'm pretty sure you told me that it was, but at this point i"m beyond caring since that's nowhere near the most important thing in the statistics.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

The Ghost Writer.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

If North Shelby was 4-6 going into the small schools final, and we were 5-5, why did they have the advantaged game?

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Because the reason they went 4-6 was because they were in a stronger bracket. If a team goes into a higher bracket, they are automatically given the higher ranking (because it means they placed 6th overall, whereas your team placed 10th overall).

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hey, if people weren't aware, the ban on discussing question specifics publicly also applies to facebook. Please delete the various facebook threads that I've seen cropping up that talk about questions. I'm again flattered that our tournament merits such enthusiasm, but it compromises the integrity of the questions, which are not only being reused outside of Missouri, but which are potentially being used in MSHSAA format sets within Missouri as well.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

I never got to say:

This tournament definitely lived up to its billing: great competition and skilled workers. Keep up the good work, guys. Hope to see you all again in March.

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

ashkenaziCD wrote:The Ghost Writer.
Wow Chris...Philip Roth title, Philip Roth title, Philip Roth title, comic book superhero that rides a motorcycle while using his flaming chain and skull face to defeat evil...

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

scphilli wrote:I would like to congratulate Mizzou on their best run event yet! In addition, congrats to all teams for participating in a well-played day, and in particular, those who received bids to nats. I look forward to seeing you there!
Echoing Sean's comments... this tournament was definitely the best Mizzou tournament I've staffed with respect to both logistical efficiency and the quality of competition. I had a lot of fun reading yesterday and am looking forward to an exciting season!