Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Missouri S&T Fall Tournament - December 11, 2010

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
DeckardCain

Missouri S&T Fall Tournament - December 11, 2010

Post by DeckardCain »

The Missouri University of Science and Technology Academic Competition Organization would like to invite you to the 6th Annual Missouri S&T Fall Tournament, to be held on our scenic campus in Rolla, Missouri on December 11, 2010.

This tournament is affiliated with the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, an organization dedicated to providing high-quality quizbowl tournaments to all Missouri teams. Visit http://www.moqba.org for more information.

Format:
This tournament will be run in the twenty tossup/bonus format. Games consist of twenty tossups worth ten points each, followed by non-rebounding bonuses worth up to thirty points. Tossups will feature "powers" (additional points awarded for correct buzzes very early in the question) and "negs" (five point deductions for incorrect answers before the question is finished).

Our questions will come from the Dunbar Academic Fall Tournament being held in Lexington, Kentucky; the questions will be pyramidal in style, strongly resembling the type of questions we have used for past tournaments.

Our tournament traditionally features a strong field of teams from throughout the state. The field is currently limited to the first 18 teams to register, though we will make every effort to include all interested teams. Schools are welcome to register multiple teams.

The tournament will feature round robin preliminary pools to be followed by a playoff. The exact specifications of the format will be determined by the final field size, but each team will be guaranteed at least six games. The field will not be divided into small and large school divisions, but the top-finishing small-school team (as well as the top four teams overall) will receive trophies, and an all-tournament team will be recognized.

Pricing:
Base fee for first team: $60
Base fee for second and subsequent teams: $55
Buzzer discount: $5 discount for each fully functional buzzer system your school brings
Travel discount: $5 discount for every 100 miles your school traveled to the tournament (one-way, as determined by Google Maps)
Minimum entry fee: $30 per team

Formalities:
To sign up for the tournament, please email me, Matt Chadbourne, at mwchadbourne at gmail dot com, and include the number of teams and buzzers you will be bringing. Registration will take place from 8:00 to 8:40. We will have a short meeting at 8:50, and the first round of tournament play will begin at 9:00.

Pending affiliation, this tournament will qualify top-finishing teams for the 2011 Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence National Scholastics Championship (PACE NSC), to be held on June 4-5 at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois.

After the completion of the tournament, a copy of the questions will be distributed to each team in attendance.

Updated tournament information, including a list of registered teams, can be found on the Missouri Academic Competition Message Board (http://www.moquizbowl.com) and will be updated regularly. Our tournaments traditionally fill extremely quickly, therefore it is highly advisable to reserve your spot early, and you are more than welcome to reserve your spot in the tournament before the payment process has been completed.

We hope to see you and your team in Rolla this December and wish you the best of luck as you compete this season. As always, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Matt Chadbourne
Co-Tournament Director, Missouri S&T Academic Competition Organization

octo

Re: Missouri S&T Fall Tournament - December 11, 2010

Post by octo »

DeckardCain wrote: Our questions will come from the Dunbar Academic Fall Tournament being held in Lexington, Kentucky
Unfortunately, as mentioned in the UIUC Earlybird thread, this means we can't attend. Good luck with your tournament though.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

octo wrote:Unfortunately, as mentioned in the UIUC Earlybird thread, this means we can't attend. Good luck with your tournament though.
Understandable. Best of luck at UIUC; hopefully we will see you at our March tournament instead.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

I may staff depending on if i can get a ride down

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Current field: (updated 12/10, 4:45 pm)

Belle
Clayton (2)
Fordland
Hancock
Oakville
Parkway West (2)
Pilot Grove
Richland (2)
Rolla (2)
Savannah

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Put me down as a possible staffer. Jeff makes the trip, good chance I will too. (Just have to make sure work doesn't flip with me requesting a bunch of Saturdays off.)

Machina

Post by Machina »

I think my coach said something about this last practice. Put us down as interested. :D

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Machina wrote:I think my coach said something about this last practice. Put us down as interested. :D
Will do. Field updated.

octo

Post by octo »

I just realized that we're only bringing two people to the UIUC tournament, so we may be able to send a team to this after all. For now, I guess just put us down as interested.

ChippytheSavage

Post by ChippytheSavage »

I guess I will miss another ACT test date. Oh well... if I want to match my brother's score (my life goal at the moment) I will need to go to more tests.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

ChippytheSavage wrote:I guess I will miss another ACT test date. Oh well... if I want to match my brother's score (my life goal at the moment) I will need to go to more tests.
MATCHING ISN'T ENOUGH. SURPASS IT.

even if it's a 36.

ChippytheSavage

Post by ChippytheSavage »

ZhangC1459 wrote:
ChippytheSavage wrote:I guess I will miss another ACT test date. Oh well... if I want to match my brother's score (my life goal at the moment) I will need to go to more tests.
MATCHING ISN'T ENOUGH. SURPASS IT.

even if it's a 36.
It was a 36... :cry:

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Yeah, I'm with Chris. Go for the 37. Or better, no need to limit yourself.

Back on topic: is the "modified MSHSAA format" being abandoned? (I don't particularly mind if it is, just wondering)

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

dividebyzero wrote:Back on topic: is the "modified MSHSAA format" being abandoned? (I don't particularly mind if it is, just wondering)
That was used at the spring tournament. The fall tournament has always been in the 20 tossup/bonus format.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Okay, that makes sense. I just didn't know if it was a complete switch over or not. Still planning to use it in the spring?

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

I thought my coach had registered us for this...hm. I'll talk to him about that. Can you put us down as interested as well for now?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

The format for the spring tournament hasn't been decided yet; I'm currently leaning toward just doing straight 20/20 rounds this year but am willing to be persuaded either way.
logic2718 wrote:I thought my coach had registered us for this...hm. I'll talk to him about that. Can you put us down as interested as well for now?
Will do.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Field updated. The field cap has been expanded to 21 teams, but we're very close to that number already, so please get in touch with me as soon as possible if you're interested in registering.

octo

Post by octo »

Do you need staff for this? I could probably come with the team and help out if needed.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Yeah, we could certainly use you if you want to come down. Does this mean your team is coming for sure?

Also: field updated.

octo

Post by octo »

Yeah pretty much. My coach is really bad at registering; I'll see what I can do.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Field updated; we've had several teams drop, so there is plenty of space remaining.

octo

Post by octo »

Unfortunately, it's looking like it will be difficult for us to field a team... I will make every effort to ensure we do, but it would probably be best to make sure there is a backup plan in case we have to drop.

octo

Post by octo »

Yeah, we can't make this. Really sorry to tell you this so late.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Field updated; a drop has left us at the rather unpleasant number of 13 teams, so assuming the remaining teams all show up, we will probably put together a team of alternates and run two brackets of seven.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

DeckardCain wrote:Field updated; a drop has left us at the rather unpleasant number of 13 teams, so assuming the remaining teams all show up, we will probably put together a team of alternates and run two brackets of seven.
Scratch this; we are now happily back to 14 teams with the addition of Rolla B.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

After round 5: Clayton and Savannah are 4-0; Oakville, Parkway West A, Clayton B, and Richland each have one loss.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Brief results: Clayton A defeated Savannah in the first game of the advantaged final. More later.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Prelim stats are up. Playoff stats to come hopefully later today.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

After a migraine-induced delay, playoff stats are now complete.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

This tournament got Gold certification from PACE! Clayton A, Savannah, Richland A, and Oakville all got bids out of their performances. Exciting stuff.