Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Tiger Bowl III @ MU -- December 4, 2010

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
socalcaptain

Tiger Bowl III @ MU -- December 4, 2010

Post by socalcaptain »

The University of Missouri Quizbowl Club is pleased to announce that Tiger Bowl, our winter quizbowl tournament, will be in its third year on December 4, 2010. This tournament will prove to be an exciting day of quizbowl play attracting many of the most skilled teams from across the state.

Tiger Bowl III will be using questions written by High School Academic Pyramid Questions (HSAPQ). Each packet consists of 20 tossups and bonuses. Visit http://hsapq.com/sample.html to view sample questions. You will want to look at any of HSAPQ's "ACF Format" sets. There will be 20 point powers, no negs, and rebounding bonuses, as this event uses the same format as the PACE NSC, a national tournament.

Our tournament has been certified by the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, a statewide group promoting high quality quizbowl. Criteria for certification include pyramidal questions, a guarantee of six rounds minimum per team, and other factors that MOQBA considers valuable for high quality quizbowl. Details on MOQBA and its certification procedures can be found online at moqba.org

This tournament will be using a rule where each team can have a maximum of 6 players. If you have more than that, do not feel hesitant signing up an extra team so that every player gets more opportunities to participate in games.

The field will be capped at 18 teams, although if there is demand and space we will consider expansion of the field. Spaces will be allotted on a first-come, first-serve basis. We will form a waitlist, and if teams drop, we will proceed down the list in order. If the field fills, then we will be able to guarantee you a 10 game schedule, which we are very excited to offer your team to allow them to get increased playing time. Top teams will qualify for the 2011 PACE National Scholastics Championship at Northwestern University in Illinois.

Entry Fees
First team from a school: $70
Additional teams from the same school: $60
Buzzer system discount*: -$5 per system per team, up to $15 off.
Staffer discount: -$5 per team that brings a scorekeeper the morning of the tournament. This can be a coach, parent, or any other person attending who isn’t playing. We will provide the scorekeeper with a lunch.
* In order to receive the buzzer system discount, the system must be fully functional for 8 players.

To register, please email mizzouquizbowl@gmail.com with the name of your school, how many teams you wish to enter, and the best way to contact you with any questions.

Don't hesitate to respond early! We will work with you every step of the way, allay your concerns, and answer any questions you may have. We hope to see you here in Columbia on December 4!

Alex Dzurick & Zach Goree
Tiger Bowl III co-Tournament Directors

P.S. We would like to recommend that if you are interested in finding more practice material to prepare for our events, you check out quizbowlpackets.com, which is an archive of hundreds of high school packets.
Last edited by socalcaptain on Wed Oct 27, 2010 1:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: including actual game format

octo

Re: Tiger Bowl III @ MU -- December 4, 2010

Post by octo »

We will definitely come to this.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

FIELD:

Registered: (30) [bold = confirmed, * = eligible for small school title]
Heartland
Helias (3)
Lone Jack (2)*
Versailles*
Oakville
Tuscumbia (2)*
Rock Bridge (3)
Glasgow*
Jefferson City
Hickman
Ladue (3)
Eureka
North Kansas City
Parkway West (2)
Clayton (2)
Richland*
Elsberry*
Fulton
Hallsville*
Boonville

Invitations Extended from the Waitlist:

Waitlisted:

Expressed Interest:
Last edited by socalcaptain on Thu Dec 02, 2010 4:07 pm, edited 33 times in total.
Reason: confirmations, additions

CherryCokeStain

Post by CherryCokeStain »

I would tentatively like to moderate for this tournament.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

For those who haven't registered but want to come and didn't notice, this tournament is filling up crazy fast.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Field has been updated above as of 12:00 noon on 10/26.

THERE ARE ONLY THREE SPOTS REMAINING.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Because the actual game format for the event was not fully posted, this event always uses the official PACE NSC format, so there will be 20 point powers, no negs, and rebounding bonuses.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

The field is tentatively full. We are looking into the possibility of expanding, so please continue to email us indicating your interest in attending.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

A field update note:

We are likely to expand this tournament to 21 teams, using a schedule that allows us to maintain the same staff size. While we currently have 21 teams on the list, we will not officially expand until we have a "buffer zone" of teams. This way, we won't end up with a last minute field of 19 or 20 teams and an impossible-to-work-with schedule if someone drops.

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

If the field is expanded, then Clayton is definitely interested.

If we're put on the wait list as team #22, then is there some way of us knowing if we'll be able to play/you'll need us to make the schedule workable? If we only get notification a couple days before the tournament, it'll be hard to get people to commit.

Nevertheless, put us down for sure.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

We'd certainly let you know ASAP if you were needed, but I of course can't guarantee anything unless (a) we get another team or two signed up and then (b) one team already in the field drops.

If that situation were to happen, we'd let you all know first thing. Can't guarantee if/when that would happen.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I will say that I don't think there has ever been a Mizzou tournament that didn't have at least one drop, so if you are early on the waitlist you historically have a strong chance of getting in the field.

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

I'll ask Sabrina what Villa's doing this weekend to see if they're interested. Also, Max had mentioned that Ladue might want to send another team to this. I'll contact him about that.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Just announcing here that we have officially expanded to 21 teams. Please continue to contact us if you're interested, as there is always room on the waitlist, and teams may drop, giving you a chance to play.

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

sweet. given the fact that we're listed as one of the 21, I presume that somebody dropped?

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Field updated above.

Speaking both as the TD and as the president of the Mizzou club, we are so glad to see such an amazing interest in our Tiger Bowl field. We would love to run a very large tournament this December, but our staffing resources are somewhat limited and we cannot indefinitely expand the field forever.

As of now, we feel confident in running a 21-team tournament. Please feel free to continue emailing us with your entries, but do note that your teams will be placed on the waitlist. We will continue to update you if teams in the field are unable to attend.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

I'm curious, seeing as it's an odd number of teams, would adding a 22nd be a bigger headache in terms of pool play than what is currently envisioned?

I could see three pools of seven (thus seven rounds, with each team getting a bye) and then another seven for ranked playoffs, but that's provided you have 16 packets. (Again, rambling out loud with curiosity getting the better of me.)
Last edited by L-Town Expatriate on Tue Nov 09, 2010 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

22 is a terrible number, 21 is a decent number.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Good news, everyone!

We've secured enough staff to expand to 24 teams! This is our biggest tournament yet here at Mizzou, and we're so excited to be able to provide this experience to as many teams as possible.

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

Could you stick a Clayton B on the waitlist as well? Thanks

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Confirmations have been received from many teams...see the field posted above (3rd post) for the most up-to-date info.

WilliamofOrange

Post by WilliamofOrange »

With the new 24 team cap, does that mean that the number of teams with invitations to nationals has increased as well?

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

It increased when we went up to 21. The top 4 for sure will qualify for the NSC, with the potential of the top 6 getting bids should PACE make this a gold certified event.

L-Town Expatriate

I hope this is of great relief to all. Hopefully the magnitude of this tournament, coupled by its successful coordination with members of MOQBA, will be one of the defining moments of the bona-fide NAQT format gaining primacy in the state.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Just to clarify for attendees, we are not actually using the NAQT format here. The rounds, like in all previous Tiger Bowls, will mimic the rounds of the PACE NSC format.

bruins4life

Post by bruins4life »

Rock Bridge HS would like to express interest in bringing a C team, as well, especially if that helps expand the field.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

There have been multiple field updates above.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

In what might very possibly be the most excited post I've ever made on this board...

We have just expanded to 30 teams. :)

The field updates will be made above as teams accept or deny their spots in the field.

Thanks for all the interest in this tournament. We are so proud to be able to run this for you.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

We are using the same set here as the tournament at VCU today where one dude is putting up these stats - http://quizbowlpackets.com/vcu/fallprel ... l.html#t11

So now all you players know what to aim for.

Edit - and it didn't stop! http://quizbowlpackets.com/vcu/falltota ... l.html#t11

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

If any team is interested in adding at this point, they should contact me ASAP. We've had a drop and are looking to fill a hole in the schedule.

WilliamofOrange

If only to give those checking the board for update something to look at, I'd just like to say this awesome tournament is on SATURDAY!!! just two days from now! Woohoo! Sorry if this would be considered spam, but I'm really very excited. Does anyone else share my enthusiasm?

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

A thousand times yes!

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

To give those of you who are excited like me and William something to talk about, I'll explain the schedule we are using so you are prepared for it, because this is a format that has never been used in Missouri to my knowledge.

We are using an abbreviated version of the PACE NSC playoffs . There are going to be 5 prelim pools of 6 teams. The top 2 teams in each pool, plus two wildcards, will advance to the playoffs, which will consist of two evenly split pools of 6 teams. The rest of the field will be put into 6 team consolation brackets. After the playoff round robins, the top 2 teams in both playoff pools will play a cross-bracketed superplayoff, which will be used to determine the champion (along with any finals or tiebreakers for trophy spots that result). It will be 10 guaranteed games for every team, and 12 for the top 4 teams, not counting finals. I hope this schedule goes over as well as I think it will, I really like how it gives more teams than usual a chance to get into the playoffs, and I think with this field it will give lots of competitive games, especially for the top teams.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Updates:

Heartland has had to drop due to sickness, so we're at 29 teams. We will still run the same schedule with one bye.

We are pretty excited to be finishing up last-minute preparations and to get ready to put on Tiger Bowl III for you guys!

Look for potential updates about scores, etc., here and at http://www.twitter.com/alexdzurick

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

If I remember, I'll be posting updates at http://twitter.com/moquizbowl

octo

Post by octo »

To continue the trend as usual, I'll tweet our team's performance at http://www.twitter.com/octothegreat

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Quick results:

1st - Ladue A
2nd - Clayton A
3rd - Jefferson City
4th - Rock Bridge A

Further stats and a write-up forthcoming.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

This was a great tournament apart from some abnormalities from ties and the fact that some teams had to leave because of reasons they chose not to disclose in addition to the fact that they chose not that they were leaving at all or the fact that others chose to leave because of a desire for chinese food an absent coach would not have allowed them to have...

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

ashkenaziCD wrote:We are using the same set here as the tournament at VCU today where one dude is putting up these stats - http://quizbowlpackets.com/vcu/fallprel ... l.html#t11

So now all you players know what to aim for.

Edit - and it didn't stop! http://quizbowlpackets.com/vcu/falltota ... l.html#t11
Was this tournament using the same format as PACE NSC that we were using (i.e. 20/10/0)? Or was it 15/10/-5?

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

No, they were using regular powers, negs, and nonrebounding bonuses.

Also, just so people are aware of it since we don't yet have the stats to post, Ladue A scored 700 or more in 3 games, including one in the playoffs. Clayton A, Rock Bridge A, and Jefferson City all averaged over 500 points per game in the prelims, Ladue was around 685. Ladue won the final with 450 points to Clayton's 410 after coming back from a noticeable deficit. The top 3 scorers were Max, with 195 points per game, Sam from Jefferson City with 172, and Ikshu with 150. Ladue B and North Kansas City (who beat Ladue A and Rock Bridge A) also tied with Rock Bridge A for the superplayoffs, so we had to run half games to break those ties, where NKC lost to Ladue B, and Rock Bridge A beat Ladue B. I read many of these top games, including the finals, and I was blown away at how well these teams played. Missouri is finally becoming a powerful state, I fully expect these teams to do very well when nationals roll around. Whatever NASAT team we come up with could be killer as well.

WilliamofOrange

Thanks a whole bunch to you lot at Mizzou who hosted the tournament (which I personally had a blast at, and /barely/ got a book out of) and to anyone else that helped to make it happen! And also, great job to everyone competing, especially those four who very deservedly received bids to nationals. You all were pretty amazing.

On another note, judging by the level of competition there, I think it's time for me to get back to studying..

L-Town Expatriate

It was a privilege to moderate ten rounds at this tournament and what I believe was one of the best-matched games at this tournament.

Statistically, it was a dead-heat between Booneville and Hallsville: both sides answered the same number of tossups, received the same amount of points on the bonus, and bounce-backed the same amount. The difference came to a power on the last question.

Just thought I'd put that out there for everyone to enjoy.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Here is a rough copy of the combined statistics: http://results.scobo.net/SQBS.aspx?org= ... =standings
Last edited by Charlie Dees on Mon Dec 06, 2010 1:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

octo

Post by octo »

The Clayton A vs. Tuscumbia B game is entered twice. Also, Isaac did not play in our game against Helias C--that was round one, he was in Jefferson City taking SAT subjects tests.

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

I realize these are rough, so I guess you're still working on them, but just to make sure certain things are caught sooner than later, why does Ladue A have 12 GP? I thought they played 5 prelim games, 5 upper bracket games, 1 playoff vs Jeff City, and 2 playoffs vs us?

Anyway, thanks a tooon for getting these up so quickly. It's really nice to be able to see some numbers.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Ladue had a round against team X, who is not included in the statistics. Those were exhibition rounds only.

octo

Post by octo »

Yeah, of course, I'm thrilled to have these, didn't mean to come off as rude or anything.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I am pleased to announce that this tournament is officially the first tournament ever held in Missouri to be awarded Gold certification by PACE. This means that Ladue A, Clayton A, Jefferson CIty, Rock Bridge A, Ladue B, and Parkway West A will receive bids to the National Scholastics Championship at Northwestern University on June 4th and 5th. These teams are also able to register for the NSC on January 1st, which is earlier than teams with regular bids, and they will get a $50 discount from their entry fee. Congratulations to these teams, you all did an incredible job to warrant our gold status. It's a true sign that the quality of the circuit here is improving incredibly quickly.

L-Town Expatriate

That is most impressive, and I'm sure everyone who helped at Tiger Bowl (myself included) was glad to help render this result.

How hard was it to achieve Gold certification, and on average what percentage of qualifying tournaments earn Gold?

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Here is PACE's criteria for how they evaluate whether a tournament is gold or not:
Gold-certified tournaments are affiliated tournaments which offer all teams at least seven games, use varsity-level questions deemed “good” by the PACE Certification Committee, and have at least two teams in attendance likely to finish in the top half of the NSC.
PACE also has platinum level tournaments, which is what I hope teams are working towards getting. Those criteria are
Platinum-certified tournaments are affiliated tournaments which offer all teams at least nine games; use varsity-level questions deemed “excellent” by the PACE Certification Committee; have at least four teams in attendance likely to finish in the top half of the NSC; do not use single-elimination playoffs; present a field that is diverse in terms of geography, talent and/or regular presence on the circuit; and report their statistics in SQBS or TAFT format shortly after the tournament.
I can't give you a specific number, but I was on the certification committee last year. I think of the tournaments that went through our system, maybe somewhere between 5-10% got platinum, and those were very clustered in certain regions that have lots and lots of good teams that play a lot of tournaments (places like D.C., Texas, or the Chicago area). Probably another 20% or so got gold certification, maybe even less, and again, a goodly number of those tournaments were clustered in particular circuits that have lots of established, very active teams. I think that the fact that there have been 20 MOQBA tournaments over the last 2 years in many parts of the state that gave bids to PACE, and none of them made it beyond basic affiliation should certainly bring into focus that this is a big step forward.