Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Mort Walker Invitational at MU (02/12/2011)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Charlie Dees

Mort Walker Invitational at MU (02/12/2011)

Post by Charlie Dees »

Dear Coaches,

The University of Missouri Quizbowl Club is pleased to announce that we are planning on hosting our second annual Mort Walker Invitational on February 12th, 2011, named for the Mizzou alum and creator of Beetle Bailey. In our past two years, we have had the incredible fortune to be able to attract many of the very best teams in the state from both major cities and all places in between, so we hope to be able to offer you another chance to play many of this year’s most competitive teams.

We will be mirroring the questions written for the Governor's School Academic Competition, written by the Maggie Walker Governor's School team from Virginia. We will be using strict ACF rules, which means there will be 20 tossups worth 10 points per round, -5 penalties for interrupts, and non-rebounding 30-point bonuses.

Our tournament has been certified by the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, a statewide group promoting high quality quizbowl. Criteria for certification include pyramidal questions, a guarantee of six rounds minimum per team, and other factors that MOQBA considers valuable for high quality quizbowl. Details on MOQBA and its certification procedures can be found online at moqba.org.

This tournament will be using a rule where each team can have a maximum of 6 players. If you have more than that, do not feel hesitant signing up an extra team so that every player gets more opportunities to participate in games.

The field will be capped at 18 teams, although if there is demand and space we will consider expansion of the field. Spaces will be allotted on a first-come, first-serve basis, determined by when you send our club account an email to register. We will form a waitlist, and if teams drop, we will proceed down the list in order. If the field fills, then we will be able to guarantee you a 10 game schedule, which we are very excited to offer your team to allow them to get increased playing time. The top teams will qualify for the 2011 PACE National Scholastics Championship at Northwestern University in Illinois.

Entry Fees
First team from a school: $70
Additional teams from the same school: $60
Buzzer system discount*: -$5 per system per team, up to $15 off.
Staffer discount: -$5 per team that brings a scorekeeper the morning of the tournament. This can be a coach, parent, or any other person attending who isn’t playing. We will provide the scorekeeper with a lunch.
* In order to receive the buzzer system discount, the system must be fully functional for 8 players.

To register, please email me at mizzouquizbowl@gmail.com with the name of your school, how many teams you wish to enter, and the best way to contact you with any questions.

Don't hesitate to respond early! We will work with you every step of the way, allay your concerns, and answer any questions you may have.

We are also looking at holding a shootout on a tournament the Michigan college team is writing all about Harry Potter during lunch. If we do this, we will probably sell pizza by the slice to players who want to stay for that and may charge a nominal entry fee if the set costs us money to use. Other areas of the country have had pop-culture rounds during lunch, and I know a lot of players are big Harry Potter fans, so if there is interest we will try it out this one time. This would also be open to staff, coaches, and spectators.

If you are interested in attending other tournaments at Mizzou, our campus will also be hosting the Missouri NAQT Qualifier tournament on March 5th and the 2011 Pre-Nationals Tournament and MOQBA Singles Championship on May 21.

We hope to see you in Columbia on February 12th!

Charles Dees
Co-Tournament Director

P.S. We would like to recommend that if you are interested in finding more practice material to prepare for our events, you check out quizbowlpackets.com, which is an archive of hundreds of high school packets.
Last edited by Charlie Dees on Wed Nov 17, 2010 4:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie Dees

Re: Mort Walker Invitational (02/12/2011)

Post by Charlie Dees »

And in under an hour we have a field already! Here are the registered teams:

Boonville
Clayton
Elsberry
Helias (2)
Jefferson City
Ladue (4)
North Kansas City
Oakville
Parkway West (2)
Rock Bridge (2)
Savannah
Tuscumbia
Last edited by Charlie Dees on Sun Feb 06, 2011 3:47 pm, edited 13 times in total.

octo

Re: Mort Walker Invitational at MU (02/12/2011)

Post by octo »

I'm going to lead my coach through registering for like all of these newly announced tournaments on Friday.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

We're already half full. If you want to attend I would recommend singing up soon.

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

Tuscumbia will be bringing two teams, as noted in the email that I just sent you.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

Lousy ACT dates

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

[crabby-ombudsman-who-might-as-well-have-an-avatar-of-Abe-Vigoda]
It's nice to see schools field two teams, but it does mean only nine schools out of the 430 that play some form of scholar bowl in the state will be able to attend. Hopefully there will be enough demand and (more critically) staffing that will allow expansion to 30 teams and perhaps beyond.
[/crabby-ombudsman-who-might-as-well-have-an-avatar-of-Abe-Vigoda]

Owing to a new part-time job that, should it come to fruition, will require me to work on the weekends, I'll have to be very picky about which Saturdays I can spare. Hopefully this one will be right up there.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Two spots left.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I only have 10 packets available to me for this event, not counting finals, so I don't see it as possible for us to increase the field without having to compromise our ability to run a fair schedule.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

It's going to suck for the teams that don't sign up for the last two spots, then.

On the bright side, this rapid demand is a good sign for MOQBA's cause, and additionally the expert directing of tournaments provided with Charles in charge. Hopefully someone will, provided it's permissible with whoever would need to grant permission, set up a mirror for teams that aren't able to sign up in time.

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

Put us in. I haven't talked to my coach yet but I think this should be fine and I want to get in before this fills up.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Field is filled currently.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I think it's safe to say we will stick with 18 teams for this tournament. Going beyond that more than once a year is probably too much to ask for from Mizzou's team.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

If we get more teams on the waitlist it looks like we should be able to move up to 21 teams, which will be the limit of our expansion since 21 really doesn't require more staff. There are only 2 teams on the waitlist right now, so if you register now and are the 3rd team on the waitlist, and we get a couple other teams to be backup incase someone drops, we will be able to let you in.

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

can you put in a B team for us? I will hopefully have my coach send a confirmation in the next few days.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

We are up to 21 teams now, which means minimal changes in how much staff we need but 2 more teams getting bids to nationals from the tournament.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Drops take us back down to 18.

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Drops take us back down to 18.
Is anyone on the waitlist? If there are 2 teams on the waitlist then I might be able to get together a second team so it can go to 21. But if there are actually only 18 teams signed up, then nevermind.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

We don't have 2 teams on the waitlist to bring it back to 21.

ChippytheSavage

Post by ChippytheSavage »

CentraliaCoach wrote:Lousy ACT dates
Wish I could be there. :( Emily does too. It will be a good expirience for our younger players.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Congratulations to Clayton, the champions of this year's Mort Walker Invitational, who defeated Ladue A for the championship. After the playoffs, they were tied with a 4-1 record, so they played a single game final which Clayton won 290-165. For third place, Jefferson City, North Kansas City, and Rock Bridge A were tied at 2-3, so after being seeded by playoff points per game, Rock Bridge beat NKC in a play-in game, and then Rock Bridge defeated Jefferson City 105-95 for the trophy. Note that the finals packets certainly ramped up the difficulty, so these are uncharacteristically low scores for these teams.

The top scorer awards went to Max Schindler from Ladue A, Ikshu Neithalath from Clayton, Sam Haynes from Jefferson City, Forrest Walker from North Kansas City, Haohang Xu from Ladue D, and Nick Vellios from Helias A.

Congratulations to these teams. I was most impressed with the play I saw, and I hope teams enjoyed this tournament as much as I enjoyed running it.

Statistics for the whole day are here - http://results.scobo.net/CharlieDees/MWI2011Overall

I also recorded matches so when the set is cleared I will be posting links to recordings of all the games I read.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Marc also did not get 14 negs in that one game, he got 1, we'll fix that typo.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

In other news, Riaz from Rock Bridge got 330 points to win the Harry Potter shootout in a handy victory.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Marc also did not get 14 negs in that one game, he got 1, we'll fix that typo.
We should also figure out which Elsberry players "Vladimir" and "Pablo" are. I remember they had funny names on the back of their real nametags, and Mr. Lenin and Mr. Picasso's stats should be combined with their real-life quizbowl alter egos.

This isn't quite as important as fixing lots of negs, though. :)

ChippytheSavage

ashkenaziCD wrote:The top scorer awards went to Max Schindler from Ladue A, Ikshu Neithalath from Clayton, Sam Haynes from Jefferson City, Forrest Walker from North Kansas City, Haohang Xu from Ladue D, and Nick Vellios from Helias A.
Am I mistaken, or did Trevor from Savannah get sixth instead of Nick from Helias A?

octo

Post by octo »

Individual awards are based on prelim stats; those stats are prelims + playoffs combined.

ChippytheSavage

octo wrote:Individual awards are based on prelim stats; those stats are prelims + playoffs combined.
Yeah, I just wasn't sure. I learned today that it sucks being at home while a tournament is going on. The ACT is LAME.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Now that the set is clear, here are audio recordings of all the rounds anyone interested can download.

Round 1: Rock Bridge B v. Tuscumbia - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QO6MHI14
Round 2: Helias A v. Parkway West - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=IB7QR2TH
Round 3: Helias B v. Rock Bridge A - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=QORGT10E
Round 4: Ladue Horton Watkins A v. Oakville - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=RB6N4BOY
Round 5: North Kansas City v. Savannah - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=8IYMXN2O
Round 6: Ladue Horton Watkins D v. Tuscumbia - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=4JCLE0WU
Round 7: Clayton v. Rock Bridge A - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=E7F344T6
Round 8: Helias B v. Oakville - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=T0VXK5UJ
Round 9: North Kansas City v. Jefferson City - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=HZ56RX0B
Round 10: Oakville v. Parkway West B - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=Y40NK1KR
Round 11: Clayton v. Ladue Horton Watkins A (Finals) - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=6PK7KAKF
Round 12: Jefferson City v. Rock Bridge A (Third Place Game) - http://www.megaupload.com/?d=G9JA6QWC