Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Missouri S&T Spring Tournament 2011

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
emanresu

Missouri S&T Spring Tournament 2011

Post by emanresu »

The Missouri University of Science and Technology Academic Competition Organization would like
to invite you and your team to our annual Missouri S&T Spring Tournament, to be held on our scenic
campus in Rolla, Missouri on March 19, 2011.

This tournament is affiliated with the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, an organization dedicated to
providing high-quality quizbowl tournaments to all Missouri teams. Visit http://www.moqba.org for
more information.

Format:
Unlike in past years, this year the tournament will be run in the twenty tossup/bonus format, the same
as at our fall tournament. Games consist of twenty tossups worth ten points each, followed by non-
rebounding bonuses worth up to thirty points. Tossups will feature "powers" (additional points awarded
for correct buzzes very early in the question) and "negs" (five point deductions for incorrect answers
before the question is finished).

The field cap is tentatively set at 24 teams, though we will make every effort to include all interested
teams, and we will be dividing the field into small-school and large-school divisions of roughly equal
size. The tournament will feature preliminary rounds in the morning and playoffs after lunch; the
exact specifications of the tournament will be determined by the final field size, but every team will be
guaranteed a minimum of six games. Our tournament traditionally features a strong and diverse field of
teams from throughout the state.

The questions for this tournament will be provided by National Academic Quiz Tournaments, this
year's provider for the MSHSAA district and state tournaments. The top 15% of the field in each
division will qualify for the NAQT High School National Championship Tournament, which will be
held May 27-29 in Atlanta, Georgia. The tournament will also be a qualifier for the Partnership for
Academic Competition Excellence National Scholastics Championship (PACE NSC), to be held June
4-5 at Northwestern University in Evanston, Illinois.

Pricing:
Base fee for first team: $70
Base fee for second and subsequent teams: $65
Buzzer discount: $5 discount for each working buzzer system your school brings
Travel discount: $5 discount for every 100 miles your school traveled to the tournament (one-way, as
determined by Google Maps)
Minimum entry fee: $30 per team

Formalities:
To sign up for the tournament, please email me, Alex Smith, at alexpsmith@gmail.com, and include
the number of teams, buzzers, and moderators you will be bringing. Registration will begin at 8:00. We
will have a short meeting at 8:50, and the first round of tournament play will begin at 9:00.

After the completion of the tournament, a copy of the questions will be distributed to each team in
attendance.

Updated tournament information, including a list of registered teams, can be found on the Missouri
Academic Competition Message Board (http://www.moquizbowl.com) and will be updated regularly.
Our tournaments traditionally fill extremely quickly, therefore it is highly advisable to reserve your
spot early, and you are more than welcome to reserve your spot in the tournament before the payment
process has been completed.

We hope to see you and your team in Rolla this March and wish you the best of luck as you compete
this season. As always, if you have any questions, don’t hesitate to ask.

Sincerely,

Alex Smith
President, Missouri S&T Academic Competition Organization

emanresu

Re: Missouri S&T Spring Tournament 2011

Post by emanresu »

Currently Registered Teams(5):
Houston-1
Salem-2
Fordland-1
Rolla High-1

emanresu

Post by emanresu »

Currently Registered Teams(10):
Houston-1
Salem-2
Fordland-1
Rolla High-1
Oakville-1
Sullivan-2
Richland-2

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

Alex, I'm not sure if you got my email, but Tuscumbia would like to register one team for this. We'll also bring a buzzer set and, if necessary, a moderator.

emanresu

Post by emanresu »

Currently Registered Teams(12):
Houston-1
Salem-2
Fordland-1
Rolla High-1
Oakville-1
Sullivan-2
Richland-2
Tuscumbia-1
Cuba-1

emanresu

Post by emanresu »

Currently Registered Teams(15):
Houston-1
Salem-2
Fordland-1
Rolla High-1
Oakville-1
Sullivan-2
Richland-2
Cuba-1
South Pemiscot- 1
Eugene- 2
Belle- 1

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Is there a field update?

emanresu

Post by emanresu »

Currently Registered Teams(17):
Houston-1
Salem-2
Fordland-1
Rolla High-1
Oakville-1
Sullivan-2
Richland-2
Cuba-1
South Pemiscot- 1
Eugene- 2
Belle- 1
Francis Howell Central- 2

emanresu

Post by emanresu »

Currently Registered Teams(21):
Houston-1
Salem-2
Fordland-1
Rolla High-1
Oakville-1
Sullivan-2
Richland-2
Cuba-1
South Pemiscot- 1
Eugene- 2
Belle- 1
Ladue- 3
Villa- 1

emanresu

Post by emanresu »

I received an e-mail several weeks ago from South Pemiscot saying they weren't going to be able to make it, but instead of removing them, I accidently removed Tuscumbia. So the Current Field is as follows.

Currently Registered Teams(21):
Houston-1
Salem-2
Fordland-1
Rolla High-1
Oakville-1
Sullivan-2
Richland-2
Cuba-1
Tuscumbia- 1
Eugene- 2
Belle- 1
Ladue- 3
Villa- 1

emanresu

Post by emanresu »

Currently Registered Teams(23):
Houston-1
Salem-2
Fordland-1
Rolla High-1
Oakville-1
Sullivan-2
Richland-2
Cuba-1
Tuscumbia- 1
Eugene- 2
Belle- 1
Ladue- 3
Villa- 1
Rock Bridge- 2

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

This will be fun. Looking forward to staffing this one

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Which of these schools are small school eligible and which aren't?

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

If you're still in need of staff (and Jeff indicates that you are) I should be able to make the drive up. However, I might not make it up there in time; could be a late night at the station.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

scphilli wrote:Which of these schools are small school eligible and which aren't?
How the fields look as of right now:

Rock Bridge A 2371
Rock Bridge B 2371
Francis Howell Central A 2010
Francis Howell Central B 2010
Oakville 1887
Rolla High 1324
Ladue A 1202
Ladue B 1202
Ladue C 1202
Villa 875
Sullivan A 729
Sullivan B 729
(field split is here)
Salem A 646
Salem B 646
Cuba 388
Houston 364
Eugene A 251
Eugene B 251
Belle 215
Richland A 214
Richland B 214
Fordland 197
Tuscumbia 80

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:If you're still in need of staff (and Jeff indicates that you are) I should be able to make the drive up. However, I might not make it up there in time; could be a late night at the station.
Yeah, we could definitely use you if you want to make the trip.

octo

Post by octo »

I may come down to staff this. I would play but it's spring break for us which makes that difficult.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Will we be doing a full round robin (please say yes)?

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

Perhaps I'm missing something, but isn't a small school 500 students?

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

500 students in grades 10-12.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Salem still no longer fits that criteria because they are at like 509 or something, so if Salem A and B place in the top 2 there could potentially be a separate small school bid given out in their division.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Actually, it looks like Salem may be eligible. The 509 figure from nces.ed.gov appears to be from 2008-2009 (which is confirmed by the MO report card). The MO DESE directory is showing 471 students*, and that's the number given for last school year in the report card. In any case, NAQT's definition is based on "average daily membership" so even if enrollment is just over 500 they may still meet the definition of a small school unless I misunderstand the meaning of ADM.

*That page says 9-12, but I think it IS actually 10-12 based on the 2010-2011 student handbook, the only thing I could find on the district's website that indicated which grades were at which school.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Yes, I believe Salem High School is actually 10-12. I'll double-check if it ends up making a difference on a possible extra bid.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

I mean, if we want an extra bid, moving either 2 "small schools" up or 3 "large schools" down makes one of the divisions have 14, the threshold needed to get 3 regular bids, as well as having the possibility of extra small school bids in each division.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Each division was divided into 2 pools and played a round robin. Top 3 crossover for championship/rest crossover to consolation.

After the prelims:
Small school championship bracket
Cuba (2-0, 5-0 overall)
Fordland (1-1, 4-1 overall)
Salem A (0-2, 3-2 overall)
Richland A (2-0, 4-0 overall)
Eugene A (1-1, 3-1 overall)
3 way tie between Tuscumbia, Belle, and Salem B at 1-3 each being played off right now

Large school championship bracket
Rock Bridge A (2-0, 4-1 overall)
Ladue B (1-1, 4-1 overall)
Oakville (0-2, 3-2 overall)
Ladue A (2-0, 5-0 overall)
Rolla (1-1, 4-1 overall)
Rock Bridge B (0-2, 3-2 overall)

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

In the small school division Richland A and Fordland are tied with one loss and playing a one-game final.

In the large school division Rock Bridge A, Ladue A and Ladue B are tied with one loss each. RB A and Ladue B were seeded 2 and 3 by ppg and are playing for the right to play Ladue A in a one-game final.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Richland A won the small school final.

Rock Bridge A won an exciting play-in game 355-230 over Ladue B to advance to the final against Ladue A. At the half that game is Ladue 270, Rock Bridge 30.

bruins4life

Post by bruins4life »

thanks for the updates. I'm finishing an online class and couldn't attend with the team. sorry hear that Ladue A is being dominant again.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Final: Ladue A 420, Rock Bridge A 135

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I quite enjoyed this event, I got to read in both divisions and I saw all different qualities of teams, with lots of different ranges of experience, and a lot of close games at all levels, which is something I really like to see in a tournament. An especial highlight was the large school finals I got to watch, which featured both a grittier-than-Bryant's-sauce, toughly played game between Rock Bridge A and Ladue B which came down to the last few tossups, and then a final where we got to witness Max Schindler apotheosizing, with some of the best play I've seen from him yet. This was a tournament that showed yet again just how much potential this circuit has, and I'm incredibly excited to see what happens next year.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I'm basically going to second what Charlie said and I'm going to find a way to go to HSNCT and still make my ex roommate's wedding Memorial Day weekend bc darnnit, I want to support these great MO teams who have been such a revelation of talent this year.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Stats are forthcoming in the next day or two or whenever I get rid of this nagging headache.

First of all I would like to thank everyone who graciously volunteered to staff: Dr. Ilene Morgan, Sean Phillips, Gordon Arsenoff, Jeffrey Hill, Kyle Hill, Marshall Mullins and friends (didn't catch your names, sorry), Charlie Dees, Adam Sperber, Sam Haynes, Chris Zhang, Nick Rupel, Rachel McNeill and Jacob O'Rourke. Apologies if I forgot anyone.

Also, I thought my teammate Alex Smith did a tremendous job in his first run as tournament director. During preparations for this tournament Alex was two steps ahead of me the whole way, and the fact that the tournament ran as smoothly as it did is a testament to his hard work. For anything that went wrong, you can probably blame me. :P

L-Town Expatriate

DeckardCain wrote:For anything that went wrong, you can probably blame me. :P
So YOU'RE the reason Tennessee lost by 30 points! :lol: :lol:

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

I just want to say (and the Truman kids agreed with me) that this was probably the smoothest tournament I've ever been a part of; I don't think I've ever gotten out of a tournament before 4, ever (i didn't stay for the finals). And congratulations to all the placing teams as well

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Chris, that's not exactly a fair comparison since most tournaments you've been to have had more than 8 rounds guaranteed for all teams.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Chris, that's not exactly a fair comparison since most tournaments you've been to have had more than 8 rounds guaranteed for all teams.
Fair, but I'm still happy with the way everything turned out.

L-Town Expatriate

ZhangC1459 wrote:I just want to say (and the Truman kids agreed with me) that this was probably the smoothest tournament I've ever been a part of; I don't think I've ever gotten out of a tournament before 4, ever (i didn't stay for the finals). And congratulations to all the placing teams as well
I was hearing some grumbling from a few coaches about the handling of the tie-breakers. It would have been nice if there was something that could have kept other teams entertained while waiting for the tiebreaks to transpire.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

The large school standings read that RB was 3rd and Ladue B 2nd.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

The only way to fix that is to make playoffs only stats that discount Rock Bridge's prelim loss that didn't carry over. Otherwise, there's not really any good way to override SQBS putting the team with the better win-loss record first that I know of.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

ashkenaziCD wrote:The only way to fix that is to make playoffs only stats that discount Rock Bridge's prelim loss that didn't carry over. Otherwise, there's not really any good way to override SQBS putting the team with the better win-loss record first that I know of.
You can break out the two top teams into their own separate bracket, but that's essentially the only solution I know of.