Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Interest Check: St. Charles Open 2011?

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Mickey0R0urke

Re: Interest Check: St. Charles Open 2011?

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

That's a good question. Which should go first, VCU Open or VETO?

Just so everyone knows, I really don't care, if we want VETO, which is only one packet, to go first, that's alright. If we want VCU Open to go first, alright with me.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

It looks roughly equal in terms of overlap with who is participating with the main tournament, but probably VETO should go first thus keeping the two academic things together. That would also give me a little more time to get over there if I need it, which I would appreciate. I'll also bring a couple prizes for the VCU trash.

Papa's in the House

Post by Papa's in the House »

VETO will be played first. More people want to play it and one person playing Trash needs to show up after a certain time. If all goes well, WUSTL Open and the VETO packet will be read before dinner.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

OK, for the trash event, are we just going to do like 4-5 rounds?

deep_friar

Post by deep_friar »

ashkenaziCD wrote:OK, for the trash event, are we just going to do like 4-5 rounds?
As many as we can fit in before 6:00, when our room reservations end.

We'll play rounds 1-7 of Moon Pie before lunch at about 1, eat a short lunch (there will be limited food in the building; disappointingly, the Subway in the next building is going to be closed for the weekend), return for the finals using rounds 8 and 9 of Moon Pie, then play the VETO packet, then as many VCU Trash rounds as we can fit in.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

deep_friar wrote:
ashkenaziCD wrote:OK, for the trash event, are we just going to do like 4-5 rounds?
As many as we can fit in before 6:00, when our room reservations end.

We'll play rounds 1-7 of Moon Pie before lunch at about 1, eat a short lunch (there will be limited food in the building; disappointingly, the Subway in the next building is going to be closed for the weekend), return for the finals using rounds 8 and 9 of Moon Pie, then play the VETO packet, then as many VCU Trash rounds as we can fit in.
As of right now, I only have 1 VETO Packet, so it looks like we'll be able to fit in at least 5 rounds of VCU Open Trash.

deep_friar

Post by deep_friar »

Mickey0R0urke wrote:As of right now, I only have 1 VETO Packet, so it looks like we'll be able to fit in at least 5 rounds of VCU Open Trash.
I don't believe we are supposed to get any VETO packets besides Mike Bentley's. One is the expected number.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Honestly, if we're paying for the trash tournament, I would just as soon not play the VETO packet and get in more of the trash set for our money.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Honestly, if we're paying for the trash tournament, I would just as soon not play the VETO packet and get in more of the trash set for our money.
If that's what people wanna do (play trash rather than VETO) feel free. I'd certainly be willing to staff VCU Open Trash. My only concern is we've had more people express interest in the VETO packet than VCU Open Trash.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Yeah, I agree with Charlie. I don't see much sense in playing just one packet of VETO and would rather play more of the trash set that we're paying for.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I think if no one has any major dissents (although I don't know if Sean can start playing if we've already started) then we should do that.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

If you guys are in a position to start before 4ish, then by all means go ahead. I'll just join in when I get there.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I think I can safely speak for my teammates (random high schoolers who don't follow these threads) that they would rather play the trash set too.

deep_friar

Post by deep_friar »

OK. Well, with this much demand, I'm certainly happy to just go right from Moon Pie to VCU Trash.

It sounds, in fact, like there are several more interested Trash players than are listed on the spreadsheet linked from the first page of this thread, but it's hard to tell exactly who's on board. If you want to play VCU Trash, please go ahead and add your own name; if you are representing teammates who would like to play, please go ahead and add them! Thanks very much.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

I talked to Event Management, and they've extended our room reservation until 9 (which is when the building closes anyway), so that should take care of our time constraints regarding VETO and/or trash.

Also, if you're paying by check (please do), please make checks out to "Washington University Academic Team."

WilliamofOrange

Post by WilliamofOrange »

Also, I can stick around to help staff VCU Trash if y'all need it.

EDIT (8:12pm 7/22/11): Since the trash tournament is shaping up to be team-based and thus requiring fewer moderators, I'll be staffing it only if you really want the help.
Last edited by WilliamofOrange on Fri Jul 22, 2011 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Well, we aren't staying until 9. I want to get out at 6 to go to dinner if at all possible after the tournament.

Papa's in the House

Re: WUSTL Open

I didn't realize that so many people were playing Trash because they never indicated it on this spreadsheet. If I had known that, I would have just asked Jacob and the people interested in the one VETO packet to either get to the tournament early to play the packet or to stick around during lunch so we could play it then (if they were still interested in playing it). Since there is a large enough interest in Trash that there will be definite teams, we should just start that right away following Moon Pie. I would hope that the people interested in playing Trash would indicate it on the aforementioned spreadsheet, but my guess is this side event will go the way of every other side event and people won't sign up until they get to the tournament. Please note that M. Cheyne has asked for $10/person if VCU Open Trash is played as a tournament with teams instead of a shootout with a few players. The Trash packets have been obtained (but not yet unzipped). I will forward them on to Gordon now.

EDIT: I updated the spreadsheet to include Dees and the Rock Bridge players as a team for VCU Open Trash per Dees' comment on these boards. The NO TEAM NAME row just includes a bunch of people that have indicated they are interested in playing the tournament. Unless my teammates object, Illinois (minus D. Garb) will play as a team for Trash.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Well, if we aren't going to play very many packets what difference does it make whether it's teams or a shootout, since it seems like all we're going to do anyway is maybe like a 5 game RR or something?

deep_friar

Post by deep_friar »

If Mike means $10 * (number of packets played / number of packets in set) per person, since we're not likely playing all the packets, perhaps we can at least begin to negotiate. The day before the tournament is a little late to spring on us a change in the terms of use for the set.

MichaelMenkhus

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

I will be playing trash, and other Oakville players still around will play as a team for trash. Our team name has been changed on the spreadsheet to avoid MSHSAA problems.

As for payment, would cash be accepted for the trash tournament?

deep_friar

Post by deep_friar »

Including the team from Oakville, it looks like we have 4 teams for VCU Trash if we just lump together all the persons currently playing as free agents onto one team. Let's plan on a double-round-robin schedule with a final only if there is a tie for first. That will get us done at 7:15 pm plus or minus 30 minutes. Does that sound like a plan?

Of course, cash can be accepted.

Papa's in the House

deep_friar wrote:Including the team from Oakville, it looks like we have 4 teams for VCU Trash if we just lump together all the persons currently playing as free agents onto one team. Let's plan on a double-round-robin schedule with a final only if there is a tie for first. That will get us done at 7:15 pm plus or minus 30 minutes. Does that sound like a plan?

Of course, cash can be accepted.
Given this schedule, he should be fine with $5/person (the exact language was "if you end up doing a few shootout packets... then $5;" I think 4 packets with one TB using teams is close enough).

deep_friar

Post by deep_friar »

Papa's in the House wrote:Given this schedule, he should be fine with $5/person (the exact language was "if you end up doing a few shootout packets... then $5;" I think 4 packets with one TB using teams is close enough).
Just to be certain, I have written a fairly formal e-mail to Mike and you to check that this will be OK.

deep_friar

Post by deep_friar »

Has anyone got a working printer they can bring in case we want to put standings and stats on the walls? My own inkjet is not cooperating. It is not critical for a tournament this size, but would be neat to have.

An important notice to staff will follow this post.

deep_friar

Post by deep_friar »

If you're staffing either Moon Pie or VCU Trash:

At tomorrow's events, we will be debuting WUStL, a new Web site for real-time quizbowl scorekeeping and statistics. All scorekeeping will be done online rather than on paper.

To save time tomorrow morning, please take a minute today or before arriving tomorrow to visit http://young-frankenstein.wustl.edu/~WUStL/index.php, create yourself an account, search the tournament listings for St. Charles Open, and click to request to join the staff of the tournament(s) you will be officiating.

There will be a staff meeting before the first round to get everyone up to speed on scorekeeping with WUStL. Please be very sure to be timely in your arrival so that we can start the meeting no later than 9:00. While the site is designed to be highly self-explanatory, a few minutes to make sure everybody gets it will be a good use of our time. Instruction sheets that you can keep with you in the game rooms will also be provided, but they'll be most helpful if they are there to remind you of what you learned at the meeting.

There is a plan B for keeping track of wins, losses, and total points in case the system fails tomorrow in ways that it has not failed in testing, including if it fails without anyone realizing it. Even the plan B will allow smooth operation of the tournament, although it will result in delays in calculating and publishing individual stats.

This announcement would have been made much earlier if I'd actually finished writing the site earlier. It has been ready for use only since 10:30 pm yesterday (today I've been doing other work to get ready for the tournament and relaxing just a bit from the grind of coding it.)

Thanks to everyone for your participation. I think WUStL is going to be quite helpful to the quizbowl community generally, and I'm grateful for the opportunity to run these couple of low-pressure open tournaments as a venue for field-testing it.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Diversity Day (Charlie Dees + Rock Bridge people) won the Moon Pie mirror; the Jason Loy, Caleb Robbins, and John Cozort team took second (I don't know how to spell their team name).

In trash, Interested People (Sean Phillips, Delano Barnes, Kent Buxton, and Matt Chadbourne) took first; I'm pretty sure Diversity Night (again, Dees + Rock Bridge) took second.

Stats will be forthcoming once Gordon exports the information from his program (which worked well).

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I want to say that I hope everyone enjoyed the academic end of things. I wish I could have been involved but unfortunately work stuff so ... blech. I'd like to thank everyone for staying for the trash event. A special shout out goes to my teammates Mr. Chadbourne and Mr. Buxton whom I've never played with before but whom I've appreciated and had great respect for for many years and to share this with you guys was a ton of fun. Also a former teammate in a few events many years ago, Mr. Delano Barnes for not only helping run the academic end of things but for being an invaluable source of info in the trash. I'm so glad you're near our community. You rock.

I think a special honorable mention goes to Gordon for this new stats program he piloted. It didn't quite work like he wanted to but we're going to maybe use it a lot in practices and fix these kinks and then who knows this could be the next best thing for running a tournament. In any event I was very glad to see all of you again.

christino

Post by christino »

Are stats going to be posted for this?