Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Interest Check: St. Charles Open 2011?

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Charbroil

Interest Check: St. Charles Open 2011?

Post by Charbroil »

So, I'm thinking of hosting SCC Open again this year, and I wanted to see how much interest there might be. Thus, if you think you might attend, please email me at charleshang228@yahoo.com or post here.

Also, we might have a couple of options in terms of question sets, so please indicate which of the following you'd prefer:

1/ A regular to above average difficulty high school set (my working plan is BHSAT, Yale's housewrite)

Note: I'm considering a high school set for an event which will probably have college players mostly because of a relative lack of easy college sets for summer use and also because much of our field will be made up of high school students.

2/ A novice to regular difficulty college set (at the moment, no such set seems to exist, except for Moon Pie and VCU Open Sunday if VCU lets us mirror their set and we're willing to put the tournament in August)

3/ A third alternative?

Anyway, let me know which of the three options you'd like to play, as well as what date(s) this summer would be best for you; my standing plan is to just host it in early-mid July again like last year.

Charbroil

Re: Interest Check: St. Charles Open 2011?

Post by Charbroil »

Also, please let me know if you'd be interested in staffing.

christino

Post by christino »

I would be willing to play any tournament in July, preferably near the 20th. Also, do you have any idea of the cost?

Machina

Post by Machina »

I am open to play any tournament in mid-late July.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

The cost would be something like $15-20 per person, with generous discounts for staffing and buzzers (also, let's not kid ourselves--if you really don't have the money but want to play, we're not going to bar you at the door).

Any preference in terms of questions?

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

As far as I know I will probably be free pretty much all summer.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Rock Bridge would presumably send some sort of lineup no matter what the set, I personally would come if it's not VCU Open Novice (since I plan on playing that at VCU) or a high school set (unless it's some nutty hard thing on par with an HFT). Given the circumstances, I would currently vote Moon Pie, pending it not being horribly panned at the main site.

octo

Post by octo »

I'll play. Moon Pie sounds fine.

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

Depending on the date, Tuscumbia might send a contingent of some sort. I'd staff if a high school set is being used and might consider playing on a college set. I could not bring a team anywhere between the 16th and 24th, but would still be available to staff.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

A pretty large contingent of Ladue folks may show up if it's like, the second week of August (13). If it's early or late July, that contingent may still be medium-sized but not include me.

July 16th may also work out well, I'm not quite positive yet.

Set-wise, I'll be there no matter what if I'm in town. I'd like something challenging and fun though; BHSAT or Moon Pie both sound good to me.

Machina

Post by Machina »

I forgot that I'm not going to school for basically months. I think anytime in August would work for me as well, since I'm not leaving until mid-September.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Will you be posting the date for this tournament on the forums? If I can find out the date for this, I can request off and be available to staff.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Mickey0R0urke wrote:Will you be posting the date for this tournament on the forums? If I can find out the date for this, I can request off and be available to staff.
Yes; I'm waiting to hear back from our advisers at SCC to see when they'll be available. My goal is to have the tournament on one of the middle weekends (the 9th, 16th, or 23rd) of July.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

If it matters, July 16th is the best for the Ladue folks of those days.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

So will we have confirmation of the date soon? I need to let my boss know any dates I need off three weeks in advance.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

My vote is for July 16, though I'd probably be able to make any date.

Also, I'm declaring myself a free agent for this and looking for teammates.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Also, I'm declaring myself a free agent for this and looking for teammates.
I'm interested. I don't think any of the Truman people are going to come to this.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Mickey0R0urke wrote:So will we have confirmation of the date soon? I need to let my boss know any dates I need off three weeks in advance.
I'm trying to get confirmation on the questions first, but I'd say either the second or third week of July. I'll pin a day down by the end of this week.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Actually, at this point I think we won't be able to go to VCU Open because they moved it a week back, so if you want to run it later and use that set we'd probably go.

Edit: actually, I just found out Michigan is running the week before and we might try to go to that instead. As you were.
Last edited by Charlie Dees on Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

octo

Post by octo »

If the field is anything like last year's, I would think VCU Open would be a bit too difficult.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

The target difficulty of VCU Open 2011 is between last year's VCU Open Sunday and VCU Open Saturday, i.e. Regionals+.
It's going to be easier, and presumably similar in difficulty, and far superior in quality, to Moon Pie.

KentB

Post by KentB »

I would play this if the timing works out.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Just to give everyone an update, I got approval to mirror Moon Pie, so I'm now trying to figure out the exact date this is going to run on. Unfortunately, mirroring VCU Open won't work because I'm not 100% certain I'm going to be in the country and/or available in early-mid August.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

As I said upthread, I'm no longer interested in a VCU open mirror anyway, so if you can get Moon Pie and run it in mid-July that would be ideal I think for this audience from what people have indicated in the thread.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

We will be unable to hold this event at the Community College because neither of our advisors is available this summer, and without them, we can't reserve rooms.

Thus, we have two options:

1/ We can host this at another school. I will check to see if it's possible to reserve rooms over the summer at WashU. Also, if any high schoolers or recent high school alumni would like to host this at their schools, they are welcome to contact me at charleshang228@yahoo.com

However, even if we move this to another venue, there will still be the problem of finding adequate staff. I don't feel that the SCC Quiz Bowl team members who are remaining will be able to staff this adequately, and thus we are in need of volunteers.

Obviously, we can just have rotating staff, but I don't want to be dependent on entirely rotating staff, so volunteers would be greatly appreciated.

Alternatively, there is also the second option:

2/ Another organization is welcome to host this, either with or without my help (acceptance of which is at their discretion). If anyone else in Missouri would be interested in doing so, please email me as well.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The terrible discussion that resulted from the above post has been split to here

Papa's in the House

Post by Papa's in the House »

It's rather unfortunate to find out that this tournament might not run right after I pulled together a full team of Illinois players. That being said, I'd really like to see this moved to a different venue, so I'm hoping WUSTL becomes available or a high school offers their facilities. If people are willing to travel all the way to Urbana, IL, then I could inquire into obtaining facilities to run this tournament, but we would need staffers. I don't know if everyone is willing to travel so far, though.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

I'm talking to people about performing a Hang-ectomy on this event and moving it elsewhere in Missouri. Stay tuned.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I'm checking with my old high school to see if they would be ok with having it there. Will post whenever I have a definite answer.

WilliamofOrange

Post by WilliamofOrange »

Depending on when this happens, I can certainly help staff. Or play, if somebody wants another teammate.

deep_friar

St. Charles Open II: Charles the Bad

Post by deep_friar »

Thanks, Jacob. I've also submitted a request for rooms on the Wash U campus. No guarantees at all so far, but more information will be provided as I obtain it.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

By the way, please feel free to ignore my previous post. Most-likely, it will be at Wash U. I was not sure who was now running the tournament, so listen to anything Dees or Gordon post.

deep_friar

Post by deep_friar »

Thanks for your help, though, and don't start counting on us at Wash U just yet! I have requested some rooms, but I don't know enough to know whether we will get them.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Yeah I never said it was for sure going to be at Wash U. Nobody has.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Gordon's been kind enough to volunteer to direct this, since it's going to be moved to WUSTL; I will be there as a staffer. The date will be July 23rd. Inquiries should be directed to him at deep.friar@gmail.com.

deep_friar

Post by deep_friar »

Again, if it gets moved to WUStL. Still no confirmation that we'll succeed in reserving space.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Any update on this?

deep_friar

Post by deep_friar »

We're in negotiation with events management at Wash U. They're not used to running student group events outside the academic year.

EDIT: Well talk Yoda

deep_friar

Post by deep_friar »

Our contact in Events Management has at last e-mailed us to let us know our request has been approved. It certainly appears we can host on the 23rd after all.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Alright! Way to go, Gordon!!! So in light of this, I would like to play, but I really don't wanna play solo. Anyone feel like teaming up/need teammates? I can cover history and a little bit of lit.

octo

Post by octo »

Oh, that's the last day of my summer program... I'll see what the schedule is, but it doesn't seem like that I'll be able to attend.

deep_friar

Post by deep_friar »

Jacob, if you don't get any responses here, I'd check Facebook. The people already reading this thread may disproportionately have their plans for the tournament in order already.

Sam, sorry to hear it'll be a challenge to make it. This is the latest we can hold the event since other summer opens further away are the next couple weekends. Good luck with the day's events not conflicting.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Mickey0R0urke wrote:Alright! Way to go, Gordon!!! So in light of this, I would like to play, but I really don't wanna play solo. Anyone feel like teaming up/need teammates? I can cover history and a little bit of lit.
I'll team up with you for this.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Alright, I'll see if I can get a Rock Bridge-based team or 2 to show up. What would the entry fee be?

Papa's in the House

Illinois will have a team in attendance. We can bring two fully functioning buzzer sets and one that works most of the time (though I wouldn't use it if you have extras).

KentB

Post by KentB »

Matt and Jacob, I will play with you guys if you still have openings.

Machina

Post by Machina »

The High School Collective is conferencing and we should have a team put together soon.

christino

Post by christino »

There will be at least one person from Ladue (me), but I will know if I can get one of my teammates when the entry fee is posted. If it turns out I will not have teammates, I am interested joining Jacob's team.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

There will be at least one person from Ladue (me), but I will know if I can get one of my teammates when the entry fee is posted. If it turns out I will not have teammates, I am interested joining Jacob's team.
We'd be glad to have you on the team if that's the case, Ben. Just let me or Matt Chadbourne know when you have an answer.
Matt and Jacob, I will play with you guys if you still have openings.
It's just the two of us so far. If Chadbourne doesn't care, I say the more the merrier.

Papa's in the House

deep_friar wrote:Fees will be as follows.
  • Base fee: $10 per team + $10 per player up to 4 (i.e. solo teams $20, full teams $50)
  • 5th player: +$20 (please avoid sending teams of more than 4; there's no purpose)
  • 6th player: +$Inf (6-player teams not allowed)
  • Buzzers: -$5, up to 2 per team
  • Laptops: -$5, up to 1 per team
  • Staffers: -$10, up to 1 per team
Format
Given the number of packets available, the field will be capped at 8 unless we can get a full 12 teams. Assuming an 8-team field or smaller, there will be a single round robin with an advantaged final if necessary. In the case of a 12-team field, there will be two brackets of 6 teams, and three playoff brackets of four teams, with prelim results within brackets carrying over to the playoffs.
Spreadsheet for Creating Teams
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreads ... E&hl=en_US
the QUIZMASTER wrote:DISTRIBUTION: For a full packet, we ask for 25 tossups and 25 bonuses per packet, distributed as follows.

A) Literature: 5 tossups, 5 bonuses. Of these, at least 1/1 must be on European works/authors, and at least 1/1 on World (specifically, Asian, African, South American) works authors.

B) Sciences (including math): 5/5. Of these, at least 1/1 each of biology, physics, and chemistry. If you have a second question from any of these categories, try to make them from a different subcategory (e.g. two physics bonuses would be fine, but two on thermodynamics would be sub-optimal).

C) History: 5/5. Of these, no more than 2/2 on US history; at least 1/1 on events/people in the 20th/21st century, at least 1/1 pre-500 CE, and least 1/1 non-Europe/US.

D) Philosophy/religion/myth: 3/3. Of these, not more than 1/2 or 2/1 philosophy; at least one question (tossup or bonus) apiece religion and mythology.

E) Fine arts: 3/3. Of these, at least one question (tossup or bonus) must be on either sculpture or architecture, and no more than 2/2 painting, film, or classical music.

F) Social sciences: 1/1

G) Geography: 1/1

H) Your choice: 2/2. Anything goes, provided the minima amounts above have been provided for. This includes pop culture, current events, or other topics in which you may have already made your maximum.

STYLE: You probably already know the basics, but just in case: --- Tossups -- average length 3 sentences. Please include a unique clue early to avoid any ambiguity. We want questions that begin with lesser-known details and gradually get easier. And please don't violate the pronoun rule -- e.g.,, if your first pronoun is "He..." or "She...", the answer should be a person, not an object or the title of a work. --- Bonuses -- each bonus worth a possible 30 pts., preferably with 3 or 4 related answers.
Last edited by Papa's in the House on Fri Jul 08, 2011 2:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.