Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Oakville High School SCOP Novice Tournament (10/29/11)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
OakvilleHSCoach

Oakville High School SCOP Novice Tournament (10/29/11)

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

Hello coaches,

The Oakville High School Quizbowl team will be hosting our first ever Oakville Novice Academic Tournament on October 29th.

Our school is located at 5557 Milburn Road, Oakville MO 63129. Please private message me or email me at whelehonc@mehlville.k12.mo.us for my personal cell phone number should you need to contact me with any questions the day of the tournament.

Current Field (updated 10/17):
CBC (one buzzer)
Webster Groves (one buzzer)
NKC 2 teams (one buzzer)
SLUH (one buzzer)
Lutheran South (one buzzer)
St. Joseph's Academy 2 teams (1 buzzer)
Hannibal
Hancock (one buzzer)

*Please let me know if your team count and/or buzzer count is incorrect. If we have an odd number of teams competing, I will put in an Oakville novice team to even out the field.

We will have a field cap of twelve teams. If you are at all able to provide staff, that would be greatly appreciated, especially because if we can find more staff, we will be more likely to be able to expand the field and let more of your teams in. If you would like to register teams, please send your registrations to whelehonc@mehlville.k12.mo.us.

Question Format
We will be using a set called SCOP 2 written to be very accessible to brand new players. We are producing 10 rounds of 20/20 with the following distribution:

4/4 Literature
5/5 Science (with 1/1 noncomp math)
5/5 Social Studies (4/4 history; 1/1 current events, geography, etc)
3/3 RMPSS
2/2 Fine Arts
1/1 Trash

Last year's SCOP question set can be found here: http://www.quizbowlpackets.com/archive/2010SCOP/.

We will be using powers and negs (+5 if a player buzzes in during the bolded portion of the question and answers correctly, -5 if a player buzzes in before the completion of a question and answers incorrectly.)

Eligibility Rules
All freshmen can play.
All sophomores who did not attend a quiz bowl national championship in the past can play.
All juniors who never played a tournament before their junior year can play.
No seniors can play.
If your team has already competed at a SCOP 2 Tournament this season, your team is ineligible to play. (22 Oct: Springfield High School, Springfield, IL; 15 Oct: Tuscumbia High School, Tuscumbia, MO; 15 Oct: Harding University, Searcy, AR)

Entry Fees
We prefer to receive payment prior to the tournament date; however, if that is not possible, we will accept payment the day of the tournament.

First team from a school: $50
Any additional teams from the same school: $45 per team
Working Buzzer discount*: $5 per system
Staff discount*: $5 per staffer
Minimum fee: $20 per team.

*Buzzer/staff discounts are on a first come, first serve basis.

Since there are no restaurants within walking distance, we will also provide pizza (pepperoni and cheese) at a minimal cost. We will be providing lunch free of charge for any staffers.

This event will be affiliated with the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, who are running many other tournaments in the St. Louis area this season. You can find out more about their upcoming events on http://moqba.org.

We hope to see you and all your novice players here on the 29th of October!

Thank you,

Christina Whelehon
Last edited by OakvilleHSCoach on Mon Oct 24, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 8 times in total.

MichaelMenkhus

Re: Oakville High School SCOP Novice Tournament (10/29/11)

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

Spots are still open, and this is a great opportunity to get your novice players interested in quiz bowl. Sign up soon!

MichaelMenkhus

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

We're closing in on two weeks to the tournament, so any teams that want a spot should sign up soon!

OakvilleHSCoach

We currently have ten confirmed teams- and two slots open. Please contact me at whelehonc@mehlville.k12.mo.us if you are interested in entering a team.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I'll be posting game scores in my room on twitter at: http://twitter.com/#!/JacobORourke1

octo

Post by octo »

octo

Post by octo »

Playoff Stats

1. NKC B
2. Hannibal
3. CBC

Combined Stats

OakvilleHSCoach

Congratulations to North Kansas City B, who, in an advantaged final beat Hannibal 330-175.

First Place: North Kansas City B
Second Place: Hannibal
Third Place: CBC
Fourth Place: Oakville A

Thank you to all coaches, teams, moderators, and staff who helped this event run smoothly! Special thanks to Sam Haynes for helping with stats and teaching me how to run a tournament. :)

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I'd like to congratulate Christina Whehelon on running probably the most ruthlessly efficient tournament (the best way to run it) I may have seen in a very long while and hosting an incredibly fun day! I absolutely loved reading for all these up and comers and I hope they had a lot of fun too. I heard many positive things and hope a great time was had by all! Congrats Christina and Oakville!

MichaelMenkhus

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

I'd like to piggyback off of what Sean said and thank all of the staff for coming out to help, including Jacob O'Rourke, Justin Bayer, Marshall Mullins, and Sam Haynes, and, of course, Sean. This tournament wouldn't have been a success without everyone.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I'd just like to say I had a blast reading at this tournament. Mrs. Whelehon and her kids ran a great tournament, and they also have a great attitude about quiz bowl. Props to Sam, Sean, Marshall, and Justin for helping out too. Also I would like to thank the writers of the SCOP Novice set, who wrote such a fantastic set. It was a joy to read not once, but twice.

OakvilleHSCoach

I received an email from PACE about retroactively affiliating this tournament, but after reviewing the specific information for the tournament, they said that we do not qualify because we had eligibility restrictions for the tournament.

I apologize for the misinformation.