Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Tiger Bowl IV at MU (12/03/2011)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Charlie Dees

Tiger Bowl IV at MU (12/03/2011)

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hello coaches,

I am excited to announce that the University of Missouri Quizbowl Club will be hosting Tiger Bowl IV, our annual PACE-style event, on December 3rd this year. Last year we hosted 30 teams and had an incredibly competitive playoff with teams from all over the state, and this year we are hoping to host an even bigger, better event.

We will be buying our questions from HSAPQ, as we always do for Tiger Bowl, using their Tournament-22 set. We will be using the game format of the PACE National Scholastics Championship, which is 20 tossups per game, with a 30-point rebounding bonus. The tossups will be worth 10 points, unless a player gets a "power," which means they will get 20 points if they buzz in early. There will not be any "negs," or penalties for interrupted tossups. This event is the only event in the state that will give teams a chance to play the format used at PACE Nationals.

We will be giving out trophies to the top 3 teams, and if we have enough small schools, we will give an award to the top placing small school team. We will let public schools with 500 or fewer students in grades 10-12 be considered for small school awards.

Our tournament has been certified by the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, a statewide group promoting high quality quizbowl. Criteria for certification include pyramidal questions, a guarantee of six rounds minimum per team, and other factors that MOQBA considers valuable for high quality quizbowl. Details on MOQBA and its certification procedures can be found online at moqba.org.

This tournament will be using a rule where each team can have a maximum of 6 players. If you have more than that, do not feel hesitant signing up an extra team so that every player gets more opportunities to participate in games. Ladue has registered an E team at MU events, so there certainly are no problems with schools bringing many teams.

We are going to have a maximum field size of 36 teams. Teams will be registered on a first-come, first-served basis. If the field fills, we will form a waitlist incase anybody drops. If the field fills, we will be able to guarantee teams a 10 game schedule.

Entry Fees
First team from a school: $70
Additional teams from the same school: $60
Buzzer system discount*: -$5 per system per team, up to $15 off.
Scorekeeper discount: -$10 per team that brings a scorekeeper the morning of the tournament. This can be a coach, parent, or any other person attending who isn’t playing. We will provide the scorekeeper with a breakfast and lunch.
Moderator discount: -$30 per experienced moderator that a team brings to the tournament. We specifically request you let us know about this well in advance of the tournament, and will reserve the right to choose our moderators. If we end up with enough staff, we may not offer this discount. We will be offering a breakfast and lunch.
* In order to receive the buzzer system discount, the system must be fully functional for 8 players.

To register, please email us at mizzouquizbowl@gmail.com with the name of your school, how many teams you wish to enter, and the best way to contact you with any questions.

This tournament will be giving bids to the 2012 PACE National Scholastics Championship out to the top 6 teams, and potentially up to 9 teams can get bids if we get approval from PACE. This year, PACE is being run in St. Louis at Washington University on June 8th and 9th, making this the most accessible national championship event ever for Missouri teams. As such, this is a GREAT chance to get your team a bid if you are interested in attending.

Don't hesitate to respond early, and if you have any questions, be sure to let us know. Also, be sure to look out for our Mort Walker Invitational on February 11th. Our campus will also be hosting the Missouri NAQT Qualifier tournament on March 5th, and the Pre-Nationals Tournament and Singles Championship on May 19th. We also recommend you look into attending other MOQBA events, which can be found on their website at http://moqba.org/calendar/.

We hope to see you in Columbia in December!

Charlie Dees and Alex Dzurick
Tournament Directors

P.S. We would like to recommend that if you are interested in finding more practice material to prepare for our events, you check out quizbowlpackets.com, which is an archive of hundreds of high school packets.

socalcaptain

Re: Tiger Bowl IV at MU (12/03/2011)

Post by socalcaptain »

FIELD - 36 (Full!)
Updated 11/21, 5:00 PM

* - small-school eligible
bold - confirmed

1 - Hallsville*
2 - Richland* + 2 buzzer
1 - Columbia Independent
3 - North Kansas City
2 - Helias
1- Oakville + 1 buzzer
1 - Tuscumbia* + 1 buzzer, 1 moderator
1 - Elsberry*
1 - Winnetonka + 1 buzzer
1 - Parkway West + 2 buzzers
4 - Ladue + 1 buzzer
4 - Rock Bridge + 1 buzzer
1 - Cuba* + 1 buzzer
1 - Monroe City* + 1 buzzer
1 - Versailles* + 1 buzzer, 1 scorekeeper
1 - Glasgow* + 1 or 2 buzzer
2 - Savannah
1 - Schuyler County* + 1 staff
2 - Salem* + 1 buzzer, 1 moderator
1 - Fulton*
1 - Centralia* + 1 buzzer
1 - El Dorado Springs + 1 buzzer
1 - Hickman
1 - CIS B (invited from waitlist)

Waitlist

1 - Tuscumbia B

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Alex hasn't updated this yet, but we're literally up to I think 21 teams registered already, just on our 1st day of having this event announced. Talk about spots going fast.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Just updated the field: 25 already!!

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

Everyone loves the tiger bowl.

Machina

Post by Machina »

I'd like to pop in from Illinois to say that I am loving all these new teams for MO quiz bowl!! It's so great to see the scene expanding at such an exponential pace. :)

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Seven spots remaining!

FIVE!

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

This field is looking quite awesome, so if you want to take part in this competitive awesomeness, you should take one of the remaining spots.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Just one more spot remaining before the waitlist begins!

This is shaping up to be another competitive and exciting event, so get in while you still can!

And Centralia has claimed the final spot. From here on out, teams will go on the waitlist unless other teams drop from the field.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

socalcaptain wrote:Cuba (1, 1 buzzer)
Yay! :D

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Field has been updated with confirmations and the currently waitlisted teams in order of registration.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

If I remember, I'll be posting game scores from my room here: https://twitter.com/#!/JacobORourke1

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

There might be a couple of updates at http://twitter.com/moquizbowl; don't expect much though

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Ladue A, Rock Bridge A, NKC A, and Savannah A are in the superplayoffs. Fulton is advantaged over Richland A for small school final.

It is likely that stats won't be up for a couple of days since there appear to be a bunch of errors. Also, the scoresheets for the round 10 games between Ladue A and Savannah, and between Ladue B and Fulton are missing... I'm guessing they may have found their way sandwiched between Rounds 10 and 11 in a couple of teams' copies of the set. found them

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

In the superplayoffs, Ladue A went 3-0, Rock Bridge went 2-1, and North Kansas City placed third by beating Savannah in their game. In the finals, Ladue continued their streak of intense dominance for the whole day, winning the final over Rock Bridge with a score of 600-190. Iyas Daghlas from Rock Bridge A was the top scorer for the day with 128 points per game, and Max Schindler and Ben Zhang from Ladue A tied for 2nd with 114 points per game each. Basically, all I can say is that I was blown away again by the quality of the teams I saw today. Ladue is a true national contender, and plenty of other teams were bringing the heat. Good work to everybody, and as always, it wouldn't be possible to run these tournaments without these awesome teams and all these awesome staffers who help us out always. Without you guys, we couldn't have made this tournament a success. Jeff is going to be posting stats later, and I am going to be vegging out watching TV the rest of the night to decompress from all the work we did.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Ladue A won finals over Rock Bridge A.
NKC A beat Savannah A to get 3rd place.
Richland A won 2 games to win the small school final.

And, yes, stats have some issues that need to be fixed to make them even postable.

When I have longer to sit down and type, I have so much to say about how amazing this tournament was. Expect it once I recover and eat. :P

edit: What Charlie said.

OakvilleHSCoach

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

No rush on the stats, but any idea of what place Oakville ended up taking?

The reason I am asking is that while we qualified for PACE at Clayton, I still haven't received word yet on when we are allowed to register (whether that tournament was gold/silver/etc). My understanding is that a bid from Tiger Bowl will allow us to register now? (I want to get registration taken care of before I go on maternity leave and all of the spots fill up.)

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Records are correct and PPG's should be close if not correct. At worst Oakville would be considered tied for 7th with Parkway West (since both teams finished 4th in their respective championship brackets); since this was a platinum-certified tournament 25% of 36 teams is 9, so you should be qualified. I'm not sure if PACE will consider Hickman or Helias as being in the top 25%, but the top 4 in each bracket should definitely be qualified.

Championship A
Ladue A 5-0 698.0 (finished 1st)
Savannah A 3-2 378.0 (finished 4th)
Ladue B 3-2 368.0 (lost second tiebreaker half-game)
Oakville 3-2 288.0 (lost first tiebreaker half-game)
Hickman 1-4 176.0
Fulton 0-5 154.0

Championship B
Rock Bridge A 5-0 530.0 (finished 2nd)
NKC A 4-1 404.0 (finished 3rd)
Rock Bridge B 3-2 272.0
Parkway West 2-3 348.0
Helias A 1-4 188.0
Rock Bridge D 0-5 98.0
Last edited by Jeffrey Hill on Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Alex confirmed that tiebreakers were correct

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Yes, that's how those tiebreakers happened.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I don't see how Oakville could be anything but fifth since it was a tie breaker to get into superplayoffs that the sixth place team wasn't playing in. Apart from that I just want to say how enormously proud I am of Mizzou and the longstanding great team of Charlie Dees and Alex Dzurick. These two started these tournaments from scratch four years ago and through their extremely hard work and dedication they have developed them into forces that not only feature diverse fields but have inspired teams to get so much better over the years. I was struck today as I read matches for teams that finished in all areas of the standings how much more knowledgeable the kids are and how talented they are than only a couple short years ago. What I saw is what happens when you promote the benefits of education through friendly competition of which both Mr. Dees and Mr. Dzurick are proud stewards and for that I am grateful to call them friends.

Congrats to Ladue A for their dominating win and to all the teams who I hope to see in St. Louis at PACE NSC*!

*If you went to the last PACE NSC, everyone involved was sacked.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Sean: Thank *you*. Your dedication to driving statewide to help staff these tournaments means that tournament directors such as myself and Charlie can feel confident that what needs to be done will happen when and how it needs to.

In that same vein, I'd like to extend my most sincere and gracious thanks to all the staffers we had today. No matter how big or small your job seemed, whether you were a scorekeeper, a moderator or a statskeeper, we COULD NOT have held this tournament without you. No matter how much work Charlie and I put in, the two of us are incapable of moderating 18 rooms at once. The staff is the public face of a tournament, so when we have a staff that stays positive and upbeat, teams do the same. I know I speak for every TD who has ever tried to host an event anywhere near this size when I say that there's no way donuts, pizza, and soda are enough reward for the intense labor your staffing requires.

Teams also deserve our thanks for the smoothness of the day. As coaches and students become more used to the format, less time is required to go over logistics and rules, which speeds up the rounds. Coaches who have been educating their students on appropriate game room behavior can literally shave minutes from rounds, which can save hours over the course of a tournament. And, of course, the parents, siblings and friends who came along to help support these *supremely talented* students were greatly appreciated as well.

Honestly, for those who remember, Tiger Bowl II (in December 2009) featured a field of only 8 teams. To see such tremendous growth and interest in our events, to where we filled a 36 team field and had a substantial waitlist on top of that, is evidence that there are truly forces at work on changing the landscape of Missouri state quizbowl. Teams are improving and attending more events than ever before. This is all a testament to a community of like-minded individuals who care deeply for the education of these Missouri athletes (Yes...quizbowl is a sport. Everyone here knows how exhausted you are by the end of a tournament!).

Again, a gigantic thank you to our moderators, scorekeepers, statisticans, coaches, spectators, and players for making this a spectacular and largely stress-free day.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I'd just like to say it was an honor to come down and help to staff this tournament. Every single team I read for, whether they were a top bracket team or not, had some impressive buzzes and games. I want to thank these teams for coming out to this tournament, for if it wasn't for them, we wouldn't be able to have events like this, where 36 teams are able to play one of the nationals format.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

Thanks for everyone who helped run this fantastic tournament; my teammates and I had oodles of fun!

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

This tournament was a blast to read for as usual. I'm continually blown away by how good teams are getting at this. Ladue A is unbelievable, but even teams in the middle and lower brackets were putting up good buzzes and better stats than similarly-finishing teams of a few years ago, which I was really happy to see.

There's one other thing that probably bears mentioning. While moderating on Saturday I made a couple of judgment calls that were, after looking back, pretty terrible. I can't mention specifics since the set is not yet cleared for public discussion, but if you're reading this you probably know whether you were affected. Thankfully one of them did not affect the outcome of the game and the other was eventually corrected via protest, but I still feel pretty bad about the whole thing, so let this be my public apology. Let this be a lesson to everyone: don't moderate tournaments on an hour of sleep.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Prelim stats are done. There were some significant errors, including some that affected two of the top scorers; while the order changed, it fortunately looks like the top 8 are the same players who were announced as the top 8 at the tournament.

After corrections, the top 8 are:
1. Iyas D., Rock Bridge A, 128.00 ppg
2. Amos C., Parkway West, 122.00 ppg
3 (tie). Ben Z. and Max S., both of Ladue A, 114.00 ppg
5 (tie). Austin K., Savannah A, and Forrest W, NKC A, 106.00 ppg
7. Walter W., Rock Bridge B, 102.00 ppg
8. Kisan T., Ladue B, 95.00 ppg

Hopefully I'll have the playoff stats double checked and corrected tomorrow evening.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Stats are finally done!
Prelims (rounds 1-5)
Playoffs (rounds 6-10 plus tiebreakers)
Superplayoffs and small school final
All Games

christino

Post by christino »

Wait so shouldn't the tiebreaker games after the playoffs count as half games?

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

christino wrote:Wait so shouldn't the tiebreaker games after the playoffs count as half games?
SQBS doesn't have any concept of "half games" other than having 10 tossups heard instead of 20.

christino

Post by christino »

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:
christino wrote:Wait so shouldn't the tiebreaker games after the playoffs count as half games?
SQBS doesn't have any concept of "half games" other than having 10 tossups heard instead of 20.
Right, sorry, didn't notice the "10 TU heard" thing.