Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Ladue Invitational Spring Tournament (LIST II) - 3/31/2012

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Mewto55555

Ladue Invitational Spring Tournament (LIST II) - 3/31/2012

Post by Mewto55555 »

The Ladue Academic Team is pleased to announced that we will be holding the second incarnation of the Ladue Invitational Spring Tournament on Saturday, March 31st, 2012. We hope to attract many teams from across the state and perhaps some out-of-state teams as well. The top teams will qualify for a bid to the 2012 PACE National Scholastics Championship, which will be held on June 8th and 9th at Washington University in St. Louis.

As the MSHSAA state series begins two weeks afterwards, this is a perfect opportunity to tune-up ahead of time, and is also one of the last contests before the conclusion of the regular quizbowl season. So, if you want to get in one more tournament, go ahead and sign up!

For questions, we will be writing our own high-quality set, the exact details of which can be found below.

Entry Fees:
First team from a school: $70
Second team from the same school: $65
Any additional teams from the same school: $60
Buzzer discount*: $5 per system
Staff discount*: $5 per staff member.

*Buzzers and staff are on an as-needed, first-come, first-serve basis. When registering, please detail how many staff and/or buzzers you may be able to bring. As the tournament approaches, we will let you know whether they are needed or not.

We are setting a tentative field cap of 24 teams. There is no maximum to the number of teams each school may bring. We will likely be able to expand if there is enough interest, but until that point, we will accept teams on a first-come, first-serve basis. If our field fills, we will be able to guarantee every team in attendance at least 10 games, if not more. Fields can fill fast, so sign up soon to reserve your slot! To register, please send an email to laduequizbowl@gmail.com

SET DETAILS:

A copy of last year's question set can be found here. The questions this year will be similar, though be aware that the distribution is slightly different from that of last year.

We will be shooting for a very high tossup conversion throughout this tournament, so the answer lines to tossups will be relatively easy. The questions will be pyramidal in nature, so they will be excellent for play between any level of team attending this tournament. Each round will consist of 20 tossups and 20 non-rebounding thirty-point bonuses. There will be powers, so any correct buzz before a pre-specified point in the question will earn 15 points (contrasted with the usual 10), and there will be negs, so any early incorrect buzz will cost your team 5 points. The distribution of the tossups and bonuses will be as follows (each number is how many tossups and how many bonuses, so 4 History means 4 history tossups and 4 history bonuses per packet):

4 History
4 Literature
4 Science
2 Religion & Mythology
1 Math (Non-computational)
0.5 Philosophy (1 tossup or 1 bonus per round)
0.5 Social Science (1 tossup or 1 bonus per round)
1 Art
1 Music
1 Geography
1 Current Events
1 Trash (Pop Culture and Sports)
1 extra question

As you may have noticed, the total is 22 tossups and bonuses per match. The extra tossups and bonuses will be used as replacements or tiebreakers if necessary. If further tiebreakers are needed, we will have extras on hand. Upon completion of the tournament, we will distribute copies of the set to all teams in attendance. Specific questions about the set can be emailed to me at laduequizbowl@gmail.com

We hope to see you here at Ladue on March 31st! If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Max Schindler: LIST II Co-Tournament Director.
Last edited by Mewto55555 on Wed Jan 11, 2012 5:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Mewto55555

Re: Ladue Invitational Spring Tournament (LIST II) - 3/31/2012

Post by Mewto55555 »

Field (updated 3/30):

Teams (26)

Clayton (3)
De Smet (1)
Francis Howell (1)
Fulton (1)
Helias (2)
Jefferson City (1)
Lutheran South (2)
Mehlville (1)
Notre Dame (1)
Orchard Farm (1)
Parkway Central (1)
Parkway South (1)
Pattonville (1)
Rock Bridge (3)
Savannah (1)
SLUH (1)
St. Joseph's (1)
Troy (1)
Valley Park (1)
Webster Groves (1)

Buzzers (17)

Rock Bridge (1)
Clayton (1)
Webster Groves (1)
Fulton (1)
Valley Park (1)
Parkway South (2)
Notre Dame (1)
Orchard Farm (1)
Helias (1)
Parkway Central (1)
De Smet (1)
Lutheran South (1)
St. Joe's (1)
Francis Howell (1)
Savannah (1)
Jeff City (1)
Last edited by Mewto55555 on Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:03 pm, edited 52 times in total.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

The field's starting to fill fast -- 8 slots taken already!

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

We're half full now! Also, if anyone can staff, they should email me at laduequizbowl@gmail.com -- there will be free lunch for you!

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

With the registration of Orchard Farm, we now only have 6 spots left! Please email if you can staff; we'd like to expand the field if possible.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

LIST II has been given Platinum level certification by PACE, so the top 25% of teams (6 if our field fills, more if we expand) will qualify for the NSC and receive a large registration discount! :D

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

So the field is full; I think we have enough rooms and should have enough staff to expand to 30 if there's interest.

EDIT: Since I can't count, and since we are indeed fine on rooms, we're expanding to 30 teams.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

Field of 30 full -- we'd love to expand if more people volunteer to staff (and there's interest) :D

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

Expanded to 32, field updated!

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

The email I just sent out:
Email wrote: Coaches,

Here are the details for the Ladue quizbowl tournament. Please, check the list at the bottom of the email and make sure I have you down for the correct number of teams and buzzers! Also, please let me know with regards to pizza (see the lunch section) as well!

The tournament will take place on Saturday, March 31st, 2012, at Ladue Horton Watkins High School (1201 S. Warson Rd, St. Louis, MO 63124). There are large lots on both sides of the school, so there should be plenty of space to park. If you enter the front entrance, there will be signs or eager freshmen to guide you to registration. Registration will begin at 8:00 and conclude by 8:45, after which we will have a meeting to cover rules, the schedule, and any other questions that may arise. If you're running late the morning of the tournament, please call our coach, Mr. Hill, at [his phone number was here!]. Round 1 will hopefully start around 9, and awards will ideally conclude somewhere between 3 and 4, with super-playoffs and finals occurring soon after.

For lunch: There really is very little in the way of foodstuffs within walking distance of Ladue, so we will be ordering pizza and soda to sell in our cafeteria. If you are interested in partaking of this pizza, please let us know approximately how much pizza you think your team will buy, so we don't order too much or too little.

Right now we have 32 teams signed up. If that number does not change, the format of the tournament will be as follows: Teams will be broken up into 4 brackets of 8, where they will play a full round-robin of 7 games. After lunch, the top two teams from each prelim bracket (sorted first by record, then by points per game if there are any ties in record) will be in playoffs and still in contention for the title, everyone else will have 3 consolation playoff games to determine their final placing. The 3rd-8th teams in each bracket will be re-bracketed with teams who placed similarly (so the "top" consolation bracket will have the four teams who placed 3rd in their morning brackets, then the next will have all 4th place teams, and so on).

Meanwhile, the top 8 teams will be broken into two brackets of 4. Each of those 4 will play a round-robin. The top two teams from each bracket will advance to the super-playoffs, to be held after awards. That will consist of a final round-robin between the top four teams, one game of which has already been played in the regular playoffs. After that, the top four teams will be ranked solely on the results of the three rounds of that round-robin. If the top team in that round-robin has two more wins than everyone else (so if they finish 3-0, and the others are all 1-2), they win automatically. If they are tied with the second-place team (so 2-1,2-1,1-2,1-2), then they will play a single game to decide the winner. If they are ahead by one game (so 3-0,2-1,1-2,0-3), they will play an "advantaged final," a best two-out-of-three situation in which they have already won the first game (so the 2-1 team has to win two games in a row to win the tournament). If three teams are tied for 1st (so 2-1,2-1,2-1,0-3), they will be ranked by points per game in the super playoffs -- the second and third ranked teams will play one game, and the winner of that game will play the top ranked team for the championship.

This format is slightly convoluted, so let me know if you have any questions about it. We will be going over it again at the morning meeting, and it may be changed if the number of teams signed up changes. If we use this format, however, a projected schedule is:

Morning Meeting: 8:45-9:00
Rounds 1-7: 9:00-1:00
Lunch + Rebracketing to playoffs: 1:00-1:45
Rounds 8-10: 1:45-3:00
Awards + Rebracketing to superplayoffs: 3:00-3:30
Superplayoffs: 3:30-4:30, which may run longer if finals are needed.

As a reminder, payment due is as follows:

First team from a school: $70
Second team from the same school: $65
Any additional teams from the same school: $60
Buzzer discount*: $5 per system
Staff discount*: $5 per staff member.

Please either mail a check in advance (to Mike Hill, 1201 S. Warson Rd, St. Louis, MO 63124) or bring a check or cash on the day of the tournament (or let me know that you will be unable to do so). If you need an invoice or something, let us know! A few coaches have asked for invoices which mysteriously never arrived -- if this happened to you, let me know! Our school is on spring break starting this Friday, so we may be a little slow in getting out new ones (though if that happens, it's fine if the payment is a bit late).

If you have any questions, please ask! The field/buzzers is listed below, please check that the information is correct. We look forward to seeing you on the 31st!

-Max Schindler, Tournament Director

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

We had a few drops, so there's space again!

Coach Brown

Post by Coach Brown »

Richland is considering attending this tournament. I can't give you a definite yes or no until Monday
as we are on spring break. We can bring a buzzer and I can read if you need me.

I will give you an email on Monday outlining our plans.

Coach Brown
Richland High School

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

Since a number of teams have dropped, I'm re-adjusting the cap to 30. We have 29 currently signed up.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

And...more teams have dropped out; we're down to 26.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Twitter updates if I have time here

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

This happened. Some weird stuff ensued in the lower brackets, but Rock Bridge A beat Clayton A in the first game of essentially a best two-out-of-three final; Clayton then forfeited. Savannah beat Rock Bridge B by a large margin for 3rd. More details and stats to follow.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I really enjoyed today. I read a lot of cool games for a lot of teams that were tons of fun. It was a little long but that was spelled out in the first announcement so whatev. Good job by all involved!

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

Congratulations to Rock Bridge A, who won the second Ladue Invitational Spring Tournament! Second place was Clayton A, third Savannah, and fourth Rock Bridge B. Rock Bridge A finished 3-0 in the superplayoff bracket, and Clayton 2-1, but Clayton decided to forfeit what would have been an advantaged final. Savannah was 1-2, and Rock Bridge B 0-3.

Our other playoff teams were Notre Dame, Rock Bridge C, Helias A, SLUH, De Smet, and Fulton. Of these, I believe Notre Dame, Rock Bridge C, SLUH, and De Smet all received platinum bids to the PACE NSC.

For format, we had five prelim brackets, re-bracketed into five playoff brackets (26 is not an easy number to work with!) In the mornings, everyone played scrimmages in their byes. In the afternoon, things got a bit funky after a bunch of teams disappeared during lunch, causing unfortunate delays which led to more teams having to leave early, so we cut our losses after round 9 -- about half the teams still there liked quizbowl enough that they played one or two extra consolation rounds after awards.

Congratulations also to our top eight scorers, who all got book prizes: Nick Vellios (Helias A), Keiran Connelly (SLUH), Mark Blanton (Notre Dame), Dylan Randolph (Fulton), Apoorva Sharma (Clayton A), Evan Eberhard (Webster Groves), Bess Goodfellow (Rock Bridge A), and Walter Wang (Rock Bridge B)

Thanks a ton to everyone who came and helped staff; we really appreciated it and the tournament could not have run without you.

As a reminder, the set won't be clear for at least another month -- if you have any commentary/specific feedback, please email me at igoroogenflagenstein@gmail.com. Thanks everyone who came!

EDIT: The stats are a bit wonky too, we'll get those fixed soon (though some games don't exist due to teams leaving).
EDIT TWO: I mis-spelled Helias as SLUH by accidentally hitting caps lock and permuting some letters and missing a few keys, this has been rectified.
Last edited by Mewto55555 on Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:47 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Mewto55555 wrote:Nick Vellios (SLUH)
You mean Helias A?
As a reminder, the set won't be clear for at least another month -- if you have any commentary/specific feedback, please email me at igoroogenflagenstein@gmail.com. Thanks everyone who came!
You want me to set up a board for discussion for those who have heard the set like last year?

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

To gain access to the private forum, go to the usergroups page, find "2012 LIST discussion", select the radio button to the right, and then click the "Submit" button at the bottom to request access to the board. Max or a board administrator must approve your request before you will be given access to the discussion.

If you were in the 2011 group and were at the tournament today, you should already have access.

bruins4life

Post by bruins4life »

Well done Ladue for writing an excellent, competitive set (even though Iyas thought it was too easy) :-). It was a very fun tournament with some great matches and performances.

Ameneses

Post by Ameneses »

I only wish I could have gone to this tournament. However, I know everyone from Clayton had a great time and was astounded by the tournament.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

A little late to the party, but: this was probably the most enjoyable tournament I've read for all year. Teams were good, logistics were good, and the questions were excellent. Very solid event.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The set is now available at http://dl.dropbox.com/u/80759358/index.html
I assume that I can make the discussion thread public now?

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

Indeed, thanks!

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Done; question discussion should now be publicly visible here