Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

2012 Villa Duchesne (2/25)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
scphilli

2012 Villa Duchesne (2/25)

Post by scphilli »

All of you are cordially invited to attend the third annual Villa Duchesne Invitational on Saturday, February 25, 2012, at Villa Duchesne and Oak Hill School in west St. Louis County. Villa Duchesne team coach Anthony Loveday will be running the event with Sean Phillips of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance. At this time, we anticipate running two fields (a 12 team "Varsity" division and an 8 team "JV/Novice" division) with the most competitive teams from St. Louis and across Missouri in attendance.

This tournament will operate on questions from NAQT, specifically set IS-111. This is the same set as the Kewpie Invitational in early January, so of course, teams may not enter both events. The format will be similar to recent NAQT tournaments held elsewhere in Missouri—pyramidal questions, neg-5’s for incorrect early buzzes, 15 points instead of 10 for correct early answers, and no rebounding on bonuses. Because of the tournament's format, the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance has certified this tournament as being representative of good quizbowl.

The tournament field for the varsity section will be broken into two brackets of six teams for preliminary rounds, with a round robin in each bracket, for five prelim rounds total. After lunch, teams will be broken up into two groups of six based on record and total points for pool play. Each team will play three rounds against the teams from the other preliminary pool. The record against teams from their preliminary pools will carry over, but only those two games will affect determining who is eventually champion. If necessary a final may be held. The winner from the top pool will be the champion. We expect the tournament to conclude around 4 P.M., which should be very reasonable for most teams, but this also guarantees 8 rounds for each team. Note these are fewer rounds than the previous two years and so we should end much sooner.

The JV section will have a round robin with five rounds conducted before lunch. The winning team must either win the prelimary field by two wins or a final will be held. This guarantees 7 rounds assuming a full field.

Since this is an official NAQT tournament, your team can earn a berth into NAQT’s high school nationals at this event. The top 15% of the field inclusive will automatically qualify (If we have 16 teams, the top three finishers will qualify) for NAQT’s high school nationals in Chicago on May 28 – 30, 2010. In addition, if the top small school (defined as a school with less than 500 students and a non-selective admissions policy according to NAQT rules) does not finish in the top 15% of the field, they will also qualify automatically.

Entry fees will work on the following schedule:

First team base fee: $65
Second (and subsequent) team fee: $55
Buzzer discount: -$5
Distance discount (for teams traveling more than 200 miles one way): -$10

To register, please email Anthony Loveday at aloveday@vdoh.org with your school name, the number of teams you are entering and your contact information. If you have any questions before registering, please let Anthony know. We look forward to seeing all of you at Villa Duchesne on February 25.

Sean Phillips

scphilli

Re: 2012 Villa Duchesne (2/25)

Post by scphilli »

Two important points as I post on a workbreak: The JV designation applies to individuals who have previously NOT attended a high school national. All freshmen are eligible as all sophomores and juniors who have not attended NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC as players. Seniors are not eligible in the JV division.

Secondly, at the moment we are full up! We are looking for ways to acquire more staff to possibly expand this and we will keep you posted. I'll post the field when I get home and have a little more time to transcribe it. If you'd still like to come, we are creating a waitlist and encourage you to get on it by emailing Anthony Loveday whose email can be found in the original post in this thread.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Varsity (12/12)

CBC (1 team, 1 buzzer)
DeSmet (1 team, 2 buzzers)
Ladue (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Orchard Farm (St. Charles) (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Parkview Arts-Science Magnet (AR) (2 teams, 1 buzzer)
Parkway South (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Valley Park (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Villa Duchesne (1 team, 1 buzzer)
Webster Groves (2 team, 1 buzzer)

WAITLIST (0/As many want to)

JV (12/12) *All schools have one team registered unless otherwise noted*
CBC
DeSmet
Ladue (2)
Parkway Central
Parkway South
Pattonville
Priory
St. Joseph Academy
Villa Duchesne
Webster Groves
SLUH
Last edited by scphilli on Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

scphilli wrote:SLUH (1 team, 1 buzzer)
SLUH already played on IS-111 at Hickman.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Yeah I was going to update some of this sooner than I ended up doing it. We'll be announcing if we're also expanding the JV division soon.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Field currently updated.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

The NAQT website lists both IS-111 and IS-114A for this tournament; is JV being run on 114A?
(If that's the case, just want to make sure it's noted in this thread that 114A is also being used at Rolla, Truman State, and Savannah on March 10)

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

U. Lou Sthagaim wrote:The NAQT website lists both IS-111 and IS-114A for this tournament; is JV being run on 114A?
(If that's the case, just want to make sure it's noted in this thread that 114A is also being used at Rolla, Truman State, and Savannah on March 10)
Yes this was just recently finalized as it became clear to us that 111 was not appropriate for JV whereas 114A was. In addition, judging from the current fields and informally the teams attending our event, no one was planning on doing both events so the set should stay clean.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Fields became final after some last minute changes. Updates are noted.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Twitter updates if I have time at twitter.com/mchadbourne

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Ladue A took the first game of the advantaged final over Ladue B to win the tournament.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Ladue A beat Ladue B 585-80 to win in varsity. Valley Park was third. Ladue A also took third in jv. Priory is playing an advantaged final with Parkway Central.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Ladue A beat Ladue B 585-80 to win in varsity. Valley Park was third. Ladue A also took third in jv. Priory is playing an advantaged final with Parkway Central.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Final rundown:

Parkway Central won both games of the advantaged final to beat Priory. I will have full stats up early next week, hopefully after winning another TV at the Oscars party tomorrow.

A huge huge thank you for everyone who came out and staffed this event today. Thanks to the amazing volunteer work of Charlie Beard, Marshall Mullins, Gordon Arsenoff, Matt Chadbourne, Jason Loy, Marie Dwyer, Anthony's girlfriend Shannon, the coaches who pitched in (Coach Zinfell, Hill, Sothers, Franklin, um, others I know I'm forgetting I am so sorry) and so forth this would not have gone off as well as it did and we are incredibly blessed to have you all as friends and supporters. I hope everyone had fun today.

octo

Post by octo »

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Actually Sam will post them in the previous post. Thank you! Awesome work today!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Final results have now been posted to naqt.com:

http://naqt.com/stats/tournament-teams. ... nt_id=3853

As it shows in addition to Ladue A and B, Valley Park is now qualified to nationals as well as the lovely out of state team Parkview A.

Congrats to all!

christino

Post by christino »

So, I was on NAQT's site, and I just realized that they mixed up Parkview Arts and Sciences and Parkview High School for this tournament.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

christino wrote:So, I was on NAQT's site, and I just realized that they mixed up Parkview Arts and Sciences and Parkview High School for this tournament.
Sigh. Thanks. I will pass that along.

bt_green_warbler

Post by bt_green_warbler »

This has now been fixed on naqt.com.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

bt_green_warbler wrote:This has now been fixed on naqt.com.
Thank you.