Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

2012 LIST discussion

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Mewto55555

2012 LIST discussion

Post by Mewto55555 »

Do it here. Ask me if you want any specific questions posted.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Re: 2012 LIST discussion

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I had a great time reading this set... another solid effort by Ladue.

Not that I needed them personally, but pronunciation guides spelled out like "aych two oh" are painful to decipher.... if you need a pronunciation guide to indicate that something should be spelled out, something like H-2-O would be more useful.

Can't think of anything else at this point.

dividebyzero

Re: 2011 LIST question specific discussion

Post by dividebyzero »

As far as fact checks go, I remember a couple off the top of my head:

There was a bonus which said ergs and watts are units of power, but ergs are used for energy (cgs)

Also, an Islam bonus (I think) that said a surah has anywhere from 2 to 286 verses. The minimum is actually 3.
(I could be wrong on these, just going off what I [mis]remember)

Other than that, there were a few typos that tripped me up (but nothing that I couldn't sort out). I don't know what the schedule for the near future of the questions is, but if you have time it wouldn't hurt to do a quick proofread if it's being used again (and if you're the ones who are supposed to do that. I don't really know much in this area)

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I'm glad to hear this went well. I can comment on history questions if you can send me a copy of the question set, Max (jacob.orourke.7@gmail.com).

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Round 1: I love the Ottomans tossup, along with all of the other history in this round. Maybe choose an easier Shaw play, as I don't believe Arms and the Man is one of his better-known ones.

Round 2: Probably wouldn't hurt to have a prompt on Atilla the Hun for "scourge of God." Also, that Rossini tossup is fantastic. The German alternative for "will to power" should be listed as an alternative.

Round 3: Where does accepting "No Longer at Ease" end for the Things Fall Apart TU? I also like the Pirandello bonus.

Round 5: That Ibsen bonus is fantastic (although maybe A Doll's House could have been better to be asked about instead of An Enemy of the People, but it's good nonetheless). I also think just "Non-Aggression Pact" should be acceptable for Molotov-Ribbentrop pact (could be wrong, though).

Round 6: The Caesar bonus is fantastic.

Round 7: That tossup on the Titanomachy is interesting. What were the conversion stats for that? I also like the Gogol bonus.

Round 8: The William the Conqueror tossup is really good. I'd also like to see the conversion stats for the Aristophanes bonus. I also really like the Peter the Great bonus.

(I'll post more thoughts once I look at rounds 9-16)

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Why wasn't Philip of Macedon an answer? It is his name, after all.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

ashkenaziCD wrote:Why wasn't Philip of Macedon an answer? It is his name, after all.
If you're referring to Alexander's father, he's Phillip II of Macedon. But a prompt for "Phillip of Macedon" should be included, yeah. Also, Alexander the Great should also accept Alexander III of Macedon.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

No, Philip of Macedon is routinely an acceptable answer for him because it's a title he's referred to by, the same way Alexander is called "Alexander the Great."

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Britannica's article header says "Philip II, byname Philip of Macedon" and there are questions from past ACF Nationals and PACE Nationals sets that I can find that accept Philip of Macedon, and in multiple HSAPQ sets.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

ashkenaziCD wrote:No, Philip of Macedon is routinely an acceptable answer for him because it's a title he's referred to by, the same way Alexander is called "Alexander the Great."
Charlie's right. That was me going off of half-remembered knowledge from sophomore year of high school on Phillip. Alexander should have an also accept Alexander III, though.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Round 9: I didn't see anything needing fixing here.

Round 10:The Shakespeare bonus, Mussolini tossup, and Akbar tossup are fantastic.

Round 11: Fuentes tossup is sweet and I love the Chancellorsville tossup.

Round 12: Madame Butterfly is also called Madama Butterfly in Italian.

Round 13: How well was Lycurgus converted? That seems fairly hard to me.

Round 14: Exsurge domine should have an also accept "Arise, o lord!" on the answerline too (on bonus 14).

Round 15: Nothing I noticed in this round.

Round 16: I noticed nothing here either.

Those are my thoughts.

christino

Post by christino »

Mickey0R0urke wrote:I also think just "Non-Aggression Pact" should be acceptable for Molotov-Ribbentrop pact (could be wrong, though).
Round 7: That tossup on the Titanomachy is interesting. What were the conversion stats for that? I also like the Gogol bonus.
[/quote]
I don't think so, since it doesn't show anything but the ability to convert "truce" (mentioned in the bonus) to "non-aggression pact". I do think that requires another prompt on (or accept) "Nazi-Soviet Pact", since that's what my AP Euro textbook uses and it makes no mention of "Molotov-Ribbentrop" anywhere.
Mickey0R0urke" wrote: Round 7: That tossup on the Titanomachy is interesting. What were the conversion stats for that? I also like the Gogol bonus.
The tossup accepted anything with "Titan" and "war" in it, so I don't think it could have had terrible conversion.

MichaelMenkhus

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

I've only read a few packets, but so far, this set seems to be really solid. Just one question: Is The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo tossup (Rd.8 ) supposed to be literature? I feel like that would be converted based on knowledge of the movie more than the novel. (Granted, I haven't seen the movie or read the novel, so if you just used clues only appearing in the novel, then that's probably OK.)

EDIT: Apparently emoticons are automatic