Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

NHBB St. Louis Regional - Sat. Dec. 1, 2012 - Oakville HS

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
nationalhistorybeeandbowl

NHBB St. Louis Regional - Sat. Dec. 1, 2012 - Oakville HS

Post by nationalhistorybeeandbowl »

The National History Bee and Bowl is pleased to announce its St. Louis Regional tournament for the upcoming school year will be held on Saturday, December 1, 2012 at Oakville High School. The costs are the same as last year: $75 per team in the History Bowl, with a $5 discount for each functioning buzzer system, and $15 per student in the History Bee. The Bee will consist of 3 rounds of 30 questions (there is no theme to each round this year), and a final. Both the History Bee and History Bowl will also feature a Junior Varsity division which is limited to students in tenth grade and younger. JV Bowl teams may not have anyone in 11th or 12th grade. Middle schools are welcome to attend; if there is sufficient interest, there will be a separate middle school division in the Bowl; otherwise, middle schools will compete as JV teams.
Questions are by HSAPQ, in NHBB format (4 quarter - all tossups are pyramidal). Registration will open on August 1. Teams must register at least 3 days in advance at www.historybowl.com - students in the Bee can either register at www.hs.historybee.com or sign up the day of the tournament.
More information will be posted when it becomes available - a list of teams will be maintained on the historybowl.com website.
Hope you can join us!

Mewto55555

Re: NHBB St. Louis Regional - Sat. Dec. 1, 2012 - Oakville HS

Post by Mewto55555 »

I'm pretty sure that's the date of Mizzou's Tiger Bowl, in which case a lot of teams (us included) wouldn't go to this...

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Indeed it is!

Okay, we'll talk to Oakville - I'm pretty sure it can get fixed. For the record, what would good dates in November - February be for this?

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Perhaps November 3rd? That's the date of ACF Fall, but I think that would conflict less than Tiger Bowl.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Better yet back out of this fool's nonsense. See: http://www.moquizbowl.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2539

Or even better yet, please read my measured response to this gratuitous and bewildering attack. http://www.moquizbowl.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=2539
In any case, we will certainly working with Oakville to find a suitable date, and look forward both to a great tournament and to doing our part to promote quality academic competitions in Missouri this year.

OakvilleHSCoach

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

David-

I'm Christina, Oakville's head quiz bowl coach. I am assuming that you are working with Mr. Gerdes, our history bowl adviser, for the NHBB. Mr. Gerdes and I haven't had the opportunity to discuss the quiz bowl schedule for the upcoming season, which is probably the reason for the conflict of dates, but I believe your best bet in running a successful NHBB is to schedule it on a date when there are no quiz bowl conflicts, as mentioned above.

Many history bowl teams pull their players from their quiz bowl teams, so you won't have much attendance if the quiz bowl players are already involved in a tournament elsewhere. Also, I am sure that Mr. Gerdes is anticipating help from my quiz bowl team for the NHBB tournament to run smoothly, and we can't offer that help if we are involved in a quiz bowl tournament.

One thing that should also be considered when setting a date is band schedules. Oakville's quiz bowl team and history bowl team is comprised of about 95% band members- in the fall, OHS's quiz bowl team is unable to participate in many tournaments because band takes precedent at our school (not sure I can speak on behalf of other schools in the St. Louis area).

So while the November 3 date was a good suggestion, that is smack dab in the middle of band season- something more in the winter would probably work best for Oakville, but I can't speak on behalf of other teams.

MichaelMenkhus

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

Tentatively, the Oakville debate team is hosting their tournament on November 3. This tournament utilizes the entire school, so November 3 is probably not the best date for the NHBB regional.

MichaelMenkhus

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

Has there been any development on this? The History Bowl sponsor at Oakville, Mr. Rodney Gerdes, says that he has not recieved any word on any possible change to the date of this tournament. If the date for this does not move, then many Oakville players (along with teams from other schools like Ladue and Clayton) will probably not be competing at this tournament.

gregboss98

Post by gregboss98 »

I've just emailed Mr. Gerdes.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

There are also tournaments in the works on November 10th and 17th in St. Louis.

gregboss98

Post by gregboss98 »

Good to know; he emailed me back this morning asking for other weekends to avoid.

gregboss98

Post by gregboss98 »

January 26 is the new proposed date for NHBB. Mr. Gerdes told me in his email today that there are no conflicts with either quizbowl or speech/debate on that particular Saturday. Are there any objections with this date?

MichaelMenkhus

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

January 26 appears to work, barring any unannounced issues.