Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

WUHSAC XV (February 16, 2013)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
scphilli

WUHSAC XV (February 16, 2013)

Post by scphilli »

The Washington University Academic Team is excited to announce the fifteenth annual WUHSAC, to be held at Washington University in St. Louis on Saturday, February 16th, 2012.

I'm Sean Phillips, and as per the unanimous decision this week of the WUAT board, I'll serve as tournament director for this this year's tournament. The set is for the first time since the first WUAT not in any way a house written event. Rather it is a mirror of Yale's BHSAT event which Mr. Matt Jackson is rather graciously letting us mirror and slightly upping his timeframe to write and edit so we can run a much better set than in previous years, and we are looking forward to a tournament that will run more smoothly than ever.

To sign your team up for WUHSAC XV, please e-mail me at seanqb1982@gmail.com. For those of you who have my hotmail address please do NOT use that. It is in the interest of a smooth registration that I have everything centrally located and timestamped and therefore would greatly appreciate if in lieu of responses here being accepted as registrations, you simply email this gmail account with a note in the memo line. Teams will be signed up on a first-come, first-served basis. The field will be updated in this thread as registrations are received. If the field fills up before you can sign up, please allow us to waitlist you as well; in such a large field there is an appreciable chance that one or more teams will cancel.

WUHSAC's general rules will be similar to last year's:

Rules
•20 tossups and bonuses per game
•no computational math
•no negs
•no powers
•bouncebacks on bonuses

Format
•Up to a 36-team field
•Bracketed round robin prelims
•Re-bracketed round robin playoffs
•four-team superplayoffs and final if needed

Fees for the tournament will be as follows:
•$10 per school plus $65 per team
•-$5 per fully functional (eight-player) buzzer, up to $15 off per school
•-$15 per experienced staff volunteer

This year, I'd like to ask everyone interested in staffing the tournament to let me know well in advance of the tournament, by e-mailing me at seanqb1982@gmail.com or replying here. This will include both those volunteering on behalf of a school and others. Keeping track of staff for a tournament of this size will be almost as big a deal as keeping track of the field in preparation for the event. Thank you very much for your help!

As in previous years, we expect that some number of top-finishing teams at WUHSAC XV will be invited to this year's PACE National Scholastics Championship, also to be held at a place and date to be determined. WUHSAC will provide a useful opportunity for teams and staffers to visit and become familiar the NSC format before NSC.

If you have any further questions, please e-mail me or reply here. We look forward to seeing you at WUHSAC XV!

OakvilleHSCoach

Re: WUHSAC XV (February 16, 2013)

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

Sean,

Oakville would like to register at least one team for this. We will be bringing a buzzer, and I can moderate if need be. Depending on how much recruitment we do this season, we might start bringing two teams to each tournament from here on out.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Thank you for your patience. Current field:

Field (28/36)

Hallsville (2)
Oakville (3)
Tuscumbia (1)
Clayton (1)
Ladue (2)
Parkway Central (1)
Ransom Everglades (FL) (3)
Brookfield (1)
Parkway West (1)
Helias (2)
Chattahoochee (GA) (1)
Trinity (1)
Bolton (TN) (3)
Priory (1)
SLUH (1)
Eureka (1)
DCC (MI) (1)
Marquette (1)
Webster Groves (1)
Last edited by scphilli on Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:35 pm, edited 15 times in total.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Edit: Clayton is now registered.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Edit: Ladue is now registered.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Just curious, why the later than usual date?

christino

Post by christino »

I heard it was because 2/16 is the earliest time a team could mirror BHSAT.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Also we decided to do it on Presidents Day weekend so teams could travel to St. Louis better.

OakvilleHSCoach

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

please sign up Oakville for two more teams, for a total of three teams, one buzzer. I can also staff, if necessary.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Field updated to add the new Oakville teams and Parkway Central. Tournament is now half full (or half empty, depending on my mood).

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Added Villa.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Added more registrations.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

More added. More are interested and are probably to be announced soon so if you don't see your name up there, and you have registered with me, please remind me!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Added two new teams I'm excited about. Almost full y'all!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Updated to add the confirmed registration of Paul M. Dorman High School from South Carolina. Between that registration and the post on hsquizbowl.org from Chattahoochie, this tournament (as they say) just got REAL.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Updated again.

parkwaywest1

Post by parkwaywest1 »

Hello!

Parkway West sent an email earlier this month, but we haven't heard back. We'd like to register 2 teams, and we can bring 2 buzzers. My email is efluchel@parkwayschools.net. Thanks so much!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Sorry I forgot to email back, I was dealing with a death in the family, but as you can see from the list I have you registered.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Added Helias and another Ransom team.

christino

Post by christino »

What's the current field for this?

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

christino wrote:What's the current field for this?
At the moment I cannot post it (This is from my phone.) but it is still full with 4 waitlisted.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Forgot to mention, field was updated yesterday.

christino

Post by christino »

Are you using Gordon's stats program, or regular old scoresheets and SQBS?

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

christino wrote:Are you using Gordon's stats program, or regular old scoresheets and SQBS?
Planning at the moment on using Gordon's stats programs but entering each round into SQBS separately so it can be uploaded. I did something similar at a college event this fall.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

This is a full color map for teams attending. Yellow zones and metered parking are free that day.

http://parking.wustl.edu/parkingmap_2010.pdf

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Field is updated and current. If any team would like to add an extra squad to get us up to 32, I would be more than happy to accomodate as I would like to get it to where we can do 4 brackets of 8 teams with as few byes as possible.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

WUHSAC is now MSHSAA approved.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Ladue A is playing Detroit Catholic Central in the final with Ladue having a one-game advantage after they bead DCC 660-80 in the playoffs. Chattahoochee placed third and Parkway West was fourth.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Ladue won the first game of the final & thus the tournament. More later.

MichaelMenkhus

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

As Sean puts the final touches on stats and other formalities, I would just like to say something about the tournament today.

WUHSAC has undergone a 180 degree turn. Coming into this tournament, I was skeptical that Sean would be able to point WUHSAC in the right direction, especially after all of the problems that have plagued past WUHSAC's. I'm happy to report that these problems were basically nonexistent in this year's iteration. The level of preparation and time that Sean put into this tournament absolutely paid off, and I'm happy to report that this year's WUHSAC was the best I have attended in my entire quizbowl career. Sean's leadership really showed today, and I'm really looking forward to WUHSAC next year, especially if Sean returns to his post as TD.

Also, I would like to applaud Gordon Arsenoff for his real-time stats program. When this program appeared at last year's WUHSAC, there seemed to be a few glitches in the programming. At this year's WUHSAC, I saw no such glitches. What I did see was a high level of polish and ease of use. Gordon's hard work in creating this program certainly paid off. I hope to see Gordon's program be used at tournaments across the country in the months and years to come.

I can't stress enough how much of an improvement this year's tournament was over last year's. Great job to everyone involved!

ShinyCharizard

Post by ShinyCharizard »

This was a great tournament, I really enjoyed it. I heard some complaints about the schedule, but 28 teams is a really hard number to work with. I'd like to applaud the organizers for their excellent job on this tournament.
I thought that the question set was very good in general and had some well-placed comic relief in it too. No T-shirts this year :( , but I still consider WUHSAC one of the best tournaments in Missouri all year. Thanks to everyone involved for this superb tournament.

Matt Jackson

Post by Matt Jackson »

Huge thanks to Sean Phillips, the WUAT board, and all the volunteer staff who made this early use of BHSAT XXII a reality and a success. Congratulations also to Ladue on their victory, and to DCC, Chattahoochee, and Parkway West for their hard-fought placings.

I will be gathering a list of fixes or changes so that future mirrors of the BHSAT set, including the main site in two weeks, can use a set with fewer rough edges. In particular, I'd like to encourage players and coaches to join the "BHSAT 2013 Discussion" subforum on the Quizbowl Resource Center. I also welcome comments on errors or problems at <matthew.jackson@yale.edu>, preferably with "BHSAT" in the subject line.

MichaelMenkhus

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

For anybody wondering, here are prelim stats.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

I am going to type this and hope I don't forget anything.

I first want to thank everyone for coming to this event. This was one of the best fields from top to bottom we ever had and I enjoyed interacting with each and every one of you. I want to think the staff, the WUAT people, specifically Gordon, Richard(him especially for being my assistant and dealing with the administrative nightmares of WUSTL), and Charlie, my hired guns, Jeff Hill, Jacob O'Rourke, and Brandon Daake and the SEMO crew. SEMO just became an entity this year and if they host hs events next year I encourage you to go there. They are here and for real.

I want to thank teams for putting up with the late running morning. I am sorry lunch was as late as it was. I am looking into ways to remedy that. I want to thank all the teams that traveled from great distances whether from central MO or Miami. It would be vain of me to accept the credit that Mr. Menkhus and Zahid want to give me, but truly the teams make this event what it is and you are all awesome.

See you next year!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

The following teams qualify for PACE NSC from this event: Ladue A, DCC, Chattahoochee, Parkway West, Ransom Everglades A, SLUH, and Priory. Information has been sent to PACE and PACE should be contacting those teams soon.

Congrats to all!