Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

4th Annual Mort Walker Invitational at MU (02/02/2013)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Charlie Dees

4th Annual Mort Walker Invitational at MU (02/02/2013)

Post by Charlie Dees »

Here is the Mort Walker field for the teams who already registered. When we send out the announcement for it later in the year, I will post that here.

Field (23/24 teams):

DeSmet
Fort Osage
Hallsville (2)
Helias (2)
Hickman (4)
Ladue Horton Watkins (4)
Oakville (2)
Richland
Rock Bridge (4)
Smith-Cotton
Tuscumbia*
Last edited by Charlie Dees on Wed Jan 30, 2013 10:40 pm, edited 7 times in total.

Charlie Dees

Re: 4th Annual Mort Walker Invitational at MU (02/02/2013)

Post by Charlie Dees »

Only 6 valued spots left!

OakvilleHSCoach

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

Please sign up one team with one buzzer for Oakville. I will let you know at a later date if we can bring two teams.

OakvilleHSCoach

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

Please sign Oakville up for a second team, but still one buzzer.

Coach Brown

Post by Coach Brown »

Dear Charlie,

Sign Richland up for two teams.

Thanks, Bob Brown

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

The field is now full!

adamdunsker

Post by adamdunsker »

Clayton can't make it. Please remove our two teams. I hope other teams will be able to fill in.

christino

Post by christino »

Ladue A won this tournament by clearing the field; other teams in the championship bracket were Ladue B, Ladue C, Hickman A, Hallsville B, and Rock Bridge A. Here are prelim stats

christino

Post by christino »

Incidentally, full stats and playoff stats are now up!

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

As noted above, I have finally fixed the problems with the statistics for this tournament, and all the results are posted. Ladue A, i.e. Max Schindler playing solo went undefeated, Ladue B, i.e. Ben Zhang playing solo won the tiebreaker for second, while Ladue C placed third, which is about as impressive a sweep by a team you could ask for in such a great field, because honestly, tons of teams, quite a few who weren't even in the playoffs, did a GREAT job here. It's incredible to see how much our state has decided to step up its game since I started running tournaments.

I just wanted to give a huge thank you to the teams for attending our tournaments, and a similarly huge thank you to our consistent staffers at MU - Jacob Billingsley, Alexis, Greg, Avery, Chris, and everyone else that's ever staffed from Mizzou deserves a huge round of applause. Everyone else who is great about coming in from out of town is amazing also - Coaches Whelehon and Dunsker and Irwin have all been awesome about helping us when we need staff rather than watching their own teams, and people like Jacob O'Rourke and his fellow Trumanites, Alex Smith and the Rolla people, Kyle Hill, Stephanie Hull, various Wash U player, Matt Chadbourne, and Marshall Mullins have all been amazing at helping make sure our things can run even though Mizzou's team is really tiny and could never staff a full tournament on our own. A few people deserve extra thanks though: Jeffrey Hill, Jason Loy, and Sean Phillips are all true blue quizbowl heroes, and whenever any of them are at a tournament, I feel confident that it will always be saved from going too far off the rails, which is a rare quality in a staffer.

My biggest thanks here goes out to Alex Dzurick, because without him going to MU at the same time as me, none of this project to build up Mizzou's tournament hosting abilities would have been possible. He's been integral in making sure Mizzou had a team that could host, and learned how to be a great director, and thanklessly put up with my craziness for 4 years at MU. He's moved on to the real world, but he still comes back to loyally staff everything we run, and I just wanted to make sure to again publicly say how much I deeply appreciate everything he's done to make all of this work.

So, the reason I'm making this maudlin post in a standard results announcement is because I wanted to get it all out before posting what I told people at the tournament, which is that this is my last time directing quizbowl for, well, a long time. It's been 5 years since I ran our first tournament in fall 2008, and in that span of time I've watched our state rise from being a national laughingstock circuit to one of the best places to play quizbowl, which is incredibly satisfying. So, after all of that effort, I think I've gotten a well-deserved break from any real responsibility with the game, especially since it's not like this is a real job! I'll still probably show up to staff some tournaments once in a while, so I won't be totally gone though. What's great about this is that there are more than enough people who are now wanting to run tournaments, especially in central Missouri, that I think we'll be seeing lots of other people stepping up to the plate very soon. We at MU have a couple new tournament directors in the wings to take over next year's events, and I think they'll quickly learn how to do an even better job directing than I have, so be sure to look out for those announcements in the fall . Also on that note, because of all the new central Missouri hosts, we at MU are going to phase out Mort Walker and shift over to a schedule where we run Mizzou Fall in October and Tiger Bowl in January, which was our original calendar in the first season anyway, which should free up another weekend and set for some other motivated host. It's been an incredible pleasure working with everyone and seeing all these great new teams coming out of the woodwork and proving that all the pieces to make Missouri a great quizbowl circuit were there all along. Keep rocking on everybody, and I want to see all of you knock it out of the park at nationals.