Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

2013 Pre-Nationals Tournament and MOQBA Singles Championship

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Charlie Dees

2013 Pre-Nationals Tournament and MOQBA Singles Championship

Post by Charlie Dees »

Hello everyone,
As you probably know for the last 3 years I've run a "Pre-Nationals" Tournament with a singles side event attached to it in May, which is primarily used as a chance for teams going to nationals to get to play something after the MSHSAA series, but also for any team who wants to attend to get the chance to play another tournament before the season is out. This year I am handing the baton over to Hickman High School, who are going to host this pair of events on May 11th. Their coach wanted me to post the announcement to the forums for her, so here it is.
Academic Team Coaches:
We would like to invite you to this year’s Pre-Nationals Tournament and MOQBA Singles Championship scheduled for May 11, 2013 at Hickman High School in Columbia. As in the past, this tournament takes advantage of MSHSAA’s newer rules that allow everybody to play one tournament after districts but before nationals season begins. This event has consistently drawn a very competitive field with teams coming both to get a tune-up before nationals, or teams who aren’t going to nationals who just want to play one more tournament before the season ends. Everyone is welcome!
This tournament will again be a mirror of Prison Bowl written by Hunter College High School's quiz bowl team. It will be using strict ACF rules: 20 tossups worth 10 points each in every round; -5 point penalties; and bonuses will be worth 30 points each. Additionally, each team is allowed a maximum of 6 players. If you have more players than that, do not feel hesitant signing up an extra team so that every player gets more opportunities to participate in games.
The tournament field cap is set at 18 teams. Spaces will be allotted in the order in which we receive your registration email. We guarantee as close to 10 games as our field size permits.

The entry fees are as follows:
$50 base fee for all A teams.
-$5 for any additional teams a school chooses to bring
-$5 for every buzzer system a school brings (maximum 3 per school)*
-$10 for every competent moderator a team can provide
* In order to receive the buzzer system discount, the system must be fully functional for 8 players.

Immediately after the main event, the third annual MOQBA Singles Championship will be held. This is a tournament where students play solo against each other in games that are 20 tossups long. We will be using questions mirrored from a tournament at Norcross High School in Georgia. The entry fee will be $8 per player. Because this event will only use tossups, it should run very fast. We hope to have it completed by 6:30 p.m. Also, because MSHSAA jurisdiction only involves team-based events, this will not count towards a player’s 14 tournament limit. This event has proven very popular in the past, and players who weren’t even in the main event have traveled in to participate, so we hope to see this year attract a very competitive field again. There will be an 18-player cap.

To register for either event, contact:
Kathleen Wells-Morgan
Hickman High School Academic Team Coach
kwellsmo@columbia.k12.mo.us.

Charlie Dees

Re: 2013 Pre-Nationals Tournament and MOQBA Singles Championship

Post by Charlie Dees »

merv1618

Post by merv1618 »

I'm assuming Hickman A won?

MichaelMenkhus

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

Adam: If I'm looking at the stats correctly, it appears that Hickman A won the tournament with a two-game advantage over Hallsville B, who came in second. Maybe Itamar can clarify how the tournament was run?

Also, if anyone is interested, stats for the singles tournament can be found here.

Zurvan

Post by Zurvan »

Michael's got the idea; after a full round robin, the teams were divided into a championship bracket (Hickman A, Hallsville B, Hickman B, Rock Bridge A) and a consolation bracket and a second round robin was played. After Hickman A's usual outstanding performance, no superplayoff was necessary.

Just a small tweak to the singles stats for anyone who might care: after removing a nonexistent game between Andy and Wenzer, Andy's PPG should rise to about 137.7. I have to admit, his soloing prowess is most impressive.

merv1618

Post by merv1618 »

Zurvan wrote:Just a small tweak to the singles stats for anyone who might care: after removing a nonexistent game between Andy and Wenzer, Andy's PPG should rise to about 137.7. I have to admit, his soloing prowess is most impressive.
The Sun has risen.

MichaelMenkhus

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

Does this mean that Andy Sun came in second place?

Zurvan

Post by Zurvan »

Mr. Chekhov wrote:Does this mean that Andy Sun came in second place?
Yea, and I am third rather than the second place shown

khrum

Post by khrum »

Zurvan wrote:
Mr. Chekhov wrote:Does this mean that Andy Sun came in second place?
Yea, and I am third rather than the second place shown
This is correct.

As far as the stat error goes - I believe that the Wenzer vs. Andy Sun game was actually a Wenzer vs. Andrew Kessel game, where Wenzer won 155-20. This would explain Andy supposedly playing 10 games, and Andrew only playing 8.