Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

2013 MSHSAA Sectionals question discussion

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

2013 MSHSAA Sectionals question discussion

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Note that MSNCT is this weekend so any requests for question text will likely be delayed.

khrum

Re: 2013 MSHSAA Sectionals question discussion

Post by khrum »

I believe "liability" has nine letters, not eight.

MichaelMenkhus

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

Also, I was kinda peeved at the wording of the Hertz tossup (I negged with Einstein on the first clue). After a protest, we determined that even though Einstein is famous for the photoelectric effect research, he didn't discover it. Maybe a "He's not Einstein, but..." kind of thing would have helped?

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

Hertz discovering the photoelectric effect is a super-famous thing.

MichaelMenkhus

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

I suppose that most of that was due to my lack of real science knowledge and my reflex-buzzing on "photoelectric effect". :oops:

MichaelMenkhus

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

On a slightly less "I'm stupid" note, what is the distribution of non-trash "miscellaneous" questions (driver's ed comes to mind) in a standard MSHSAA match?

bruins4life

Post by bruins4life »

Mr. Chekhov wrote:On a slightly less "I'm stupid" note, what is the distribution of non-trash "miscellaneous" questions (driver's ed comes to mind) in a standard MSHSAA match?
I attached a document that I made for state a couple of years ago. You could make your own easily, but this can be helpful if you get into a close match.

Good luck to all, sorry that we coaches have been unable to bring you the best questions and formats yet. Maybe in a couple of years.... maybe.

See pages 7 and 8 of this link.http://www.mshsaa.org/resources/pdf/SCBRuleBook.pdf

I copy from and pasted for ease:

"Categories/Subject Matter for Questions: The moderator will announce the category of each question. The moderator shall NOT spell words within a question, including those that are difficult to pronounce.
a. Science: general science, earth science, biology/physiology/ anatomy, chemistry, physics, astronomy.
b. Mathematics: general math, geometry/elementary trigonometry, algebra, computers, analytic geometry/advanced trigonometry/ calculus (No more than 2 from the last group of topics).
c. Social Studies: world history, government, geography, American history, economics/consumer education, psychology, sociology (No more than 2 questions from last three topics).
d. Communication Arts: world literature (all genres), American literature (all genres), British literature (all genres), mythology, journalism, grammar/usage, spelling, vocabulary, speech. Note: Students may pronounce spelling words prior to spelling them but the answer must be completed within the time limit.
e. Fine Arts/Performing Arts: art, music, dance, philosophy, architecture, theater.
f. Miscellaneous: sports, business education, agriculture, home economics, driver’s education, health/physical fitness, industrial trades/industrial arts, entertainment, foreign language.

5. Numerical Breakdown of Questions:
a. Each match will contain a total of fifty (50) toss-up questions and twenty (20) bonus questions. Each match will consist of the following specific number of questions in each category:
SCIENCE — ten (10) toss-up and four (4) bonus;
MATHEMATICS — ten (10) toss-up and four (4) bonus;
SOCIAL STUDIES — ten (10) toss-up and four (4) bonus;
COMMUNICATION ARTS — ten (10) toss-up and four (4) bonus;
FINE ARTS/PERFORMING ARTS — Six (6) toss-up and two (2) bonus;
MISCELLANEOUS — four (4) toss-up and two (2) bonus

6.Distribution for each quarter.
1st QTR: 15 toss-up questions in the following breakdowns by category: Science=3; Mathematics=3; Social Studies=3; Communication Arts=3; Fine Arts=2; Miscellaneous=1

2nd QTR: 10 toss-up questions in the following breakdowns by category, each with an accompanying two-part bonus question: Science=2; Mathematics=2; Social Studies=2; Communication Arts=2; Fine Arts=1; Miscellaneous= 1

3rd QTR: 15 toss-up questions in the following breakdowns by category: Science=3; Mathematics=3; Social Studies=3; Communication Arts=3; Fine Arts=2; Miscellaneous=1

4th QTR: 10 toss-up questions in the following breakdowns by category, each with an accompanying two-part bonus question: Science=2; Mathematics=2; Social Studies=2; Communication Arts=2; Fine Arts=1; Miscellaneous=1
Attachments
mshsaa distribution form.docx
(19.45 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

ShinyCharizard

Post by ShinyCharizard »

bruins4life wrote:[
b. Mathematics: general math, geometry/elementary trigonometry, algebra, computers, analytic geometry/advanced trigonometry/ calculus (No more than 2 from the last group of topics).
MATHEMATICS — ten (10) toss-up and four (4) bonus;
How much of this is math computation?(Are they ever planning on getting rid of that anyway?) And why did they choose to limit the last group (analytic geometry/advanced trigonometry/ calculus)? This is basically all the math that we learned in tenth grade and beyond in my school. So a freshman who is really fast at math could get 80 percent of the math questions.