Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

2014 NAQT Small School NCT: May 3-4, Minneapolis

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

2014 NAQT Small School NCT: May 3-4, Minneapolis

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Cross-posting NAQT's announcement on hsquizbowl.
naqt.com wrote:Starting with the 2013-14 competition year, NAQT will run a Small School National Championship Tournament (SSNCT) to crown the top quiz bowl team from a small, public high school. The 2014 championship will be held on the weekend of May 3, 2014, in Minneapolis.
Announcement and full details.

--------------------------------------
This replaces the small school title at HSNCT.

Minneapolis is outside the 250 mile radius, so if a Missouri small school attended this, it would have to be their only tournament outside the 250 mile radius for the year AND their only non Sectionals/State tournament between Districts and Memorial Day weekend.

scphilli

Re: 2014 NAQT Small School NCT: May 3-4, Minneapolis

Post by scphilli »

Ok so do small schools now qualify for the small school nationals the same way they used to qualify for HSNCT and in order to qualify for HSNCT are they going to have to qualify like the larger schools?

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Never mind. I see it now.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Just so that it is noted specifically in this thread, this tournament effectively replaces the special small school qualification for HSNCT - a small school must now qualify for HSNCT like any other team.

The SSNCT qualification methods are:

1. The top 15% of small schools (rounded up) at a tournament of 3 or more teams from any school using NAQT questions will qualify for SSNCT. So, if there are 7 small schools at a 32 team tournament, the top 2 will qualify for SSNCT (7 * .15 = 1.05 -> rounds up to 2). If I'm reading this correctly, they do not have to be in the top half of the overall field as was the case for the small school bid to HSNCT. I think this means that if a tournament has only one small school, they automatically get a bid no matter where they finish.

2. The top small school at the NAQT Missouri Qualifier that had not qualified at a previous tournament will receive a bid.

3. Does not apply to Missouri since NAQT provides the questions for MSHSAA State.

4. A small school that qualifies for HSNCT automatically qualifies for SSNCT.

bt_green_warbler

Post by bt_green_warbler »

Jeffrey Hill wrote:If I'm reading this correctly, they do not have to be in the top half of the overall field as was the case for the small school bid to HSNCT. I think this means that if a tournament has only one small school, they automatically get a bid no matter where they finish.
Correct on all counts.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Bumping thread, as we have one school from Missouri scheduled to participate: Mound City.

Field currently at 31 teams, cap remains at 48.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Pilot Grove is also in the field now.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Hallsville has joined the SSNCT field.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Hallsville, Mound City, and Pilot Grove are participating in the tournament this weekend.

The format for the 50 team tournament is:
On Saturday, the 50 teams will be divided into five preliminary brackets of 10 teams each. Each of those brackets will play a round-robin schedule (9 games). Each team will also have 1 bye round on Saturday. Every team with a winning record (5–4 or better) will advance to Sunday playoffs.

On Sunday, the playoff teams will play a double-elimination tournament; either 8 or 9 rounds will be played, depending on whether the champion finishes with a playoff loss or not.
Good luck to everyone!

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Stats are being updated here

L-Town Expatriate

It's looking promising with both Pilot Grove and Hallsville running the tables in their pool thus far.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

After the prelims:

Hallsville went undefeated (9-0) and has the second highest PP20TH (484.3) and fourth highest PPB (20.65). #1 seed appears to be Harmony Science North Austin (9-0, 510.1 PP20, 20.77 PPB), and South Range is #3 (9-0, 453.8, 20.69). The other two undefeated teams are AMSA and Cumberland. Litchfield is 8-1 with 20.83 PPB.

Mound City and Pilot Grove both went 6-3, advancing to the double elimination playoffs as well.

Jared from Hallsville is #4 scorer with 107.03 PP20, Luke from Pilot Grove is #8 with 80.33, and Jake from Mound City is #16 with 61.29. Excellent job everyone; let's see some hardware come back to Missouri tomorrow!

Edit: Hallsville actually 4th best PPB, not 2nd. Post written on my phone at the K while waiting for the Royals game to start so there could be other errors in this post.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Does anyone know if NAQT is liveblogging or streaming this?

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I'm not aware of anything other than the stats page.

Pilot Grove lost its first playoff game to Geneva 265-170. Mound City also lost its first playoff game to Rappahannock County 310-85. Both are now one loss away from elimination.

Hallsville was on bye the first round. If I reconstructed the bracket correctly I think they are playing Rappahannock County now. I'm not sure how the one-loss bracket is structured, so I'm not sure who Pilot Grove and Mound City are playing. Those games should be wrapping up shortly, if they haven't already.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Hallsville won against Rappahannock County 415-110. It looks like they play #7 Litchfield now (if it hasn't already ended). I think the winner of that game will play the winner of #3 South Range/#6 Glasgow (KY).

Seems like Pilot Grove and Mound City got byes last round. I think they will both be playing teams that lost 2nd round winners bracket games, though I'm not sure who those teams are.
Last edited by Jeffrey Hill on Sun May 04, 2014 12:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: clarify that this Glasgow is from KY

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Based on a tweet from Greg Bossick, it looks like South Range lost and Pilot Grove won, as they are playing each other now in the elimination bracket. If Hallsville won, I think they are playing #6 Glasgow now.

christino

Post by christino »

Looks like Hallsville did defeat Litchfield, and is going against Glasgow, which beat South Range by a hair.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Per Greg's twitter Pilot Grove lost 415-200. Great run you all!

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Mound City was eliminated after losing its round 13 game against Geneva 250-130. I think that puts them tied for 17th. Pilot Grove's elimination in round 14 puts them tied for 11th. Congratulations to both of these teams on your great runs in the tournament!

If Hallsville won, they are playing the winner of Harmony Science North Austin and Cumberland, the only other two undefeated teams remaining.

In round 15 there will be 2 teams left in the winners bracket (winners of round 14 games Hallsville/Glasgow and Harmony/Cumberland) and 8 teams left in the elimination bracket. The four teams that are eliminated in round 15 will be tied for 7th.

(Again, this is just from what I'm able to piece together, so don't take any of this as absolute fact)

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Hallsville wins!

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Hallsville beat Glasgow 365-265. Harmony Science beat Cumberland 345-305, so Hallsville and Harmony Science are the two remaining undefeated teams in the winner's bracket; there are 8 teams remaining in the elimination bracket.

Lunch is after this round. In round 16 there will be 1 undefeated team and 5 teams with 1 loss.

Edit: the following information is WRONG... see later post.

If I remember correctly (again, this could be wrong), the way this works is the undefeated team will play a one-loss team, and there will be 2 games between the remaining four one-loss teams.

If the undefeated team wins in round 16, they get a bye in round 17 and have the advantage in an advantaged final in rounds 18-19. The two remaining one loss teams play in round 17, and the winner goes to the final.

If the undefeated team loses in round 16, there are four one-loss teams remaining, and it effectively becomes single-elimination at that point.

I'm not exactly sure how 3rd/4th place will work, so I won't attempt to go into that.
Last edited by Jeffrey Hill on Sun May 04, 2014 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: I didn't remember this correctly...

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Greg Bossick is confirming that Hallsville has beaten Harmony to win the winner's bracket hot diggity damn!

L-Town Expatriate

Via a text from Coach Allen:
Hallsville will play Round 17. If they win, Hallsville will play an advantaged final against the other game's winner. If they lose, the two winners from Round 17 will play Round 18, with the winner facing Hallsville in a one-game final.

Thus, if I'm reading this right, Hallsville are already assured of a spot in the Championship Game.

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:Via a text from Coach Allen:
Hallsville will play Round 17. If they win, Hallsville will play an advantaged final against the other game's winner. If they lose, the two winners from Round 17 will play Round 18, with the winner facing Hallsville in a one-game final.

Thus, if I'm reading this right, Hallsville are already assured of a spot in the Championship Game.
Ahh... that's what it is. I knew the last team standing in the winners bracket got some kind of additional advantage; just couldn't remember exactly what it was.

The 6 remaining teams are:
1) Hallsville [undefeated]
2) Harmony Science North Austin [1 loss; lost final winner's bracket game]
Four remaining teams in elimination bracket: AMSA, Cumberland, Glasgow, Litchfield

Based on that information, I think Hallsville and Harmony both have round 16 byes, guaranteeing a spot in the top 4. Round 16 will have two games among the four elimination teams; the teams that lose that are tied for 5th.

In round 17, Hallsville will play one of the round 16 winners; Harmony will play the other.

If Hallsville wins, there is only one one-loss team left, so that starts an advantaged final, with Hallsville having the advantage. The losers of the round 17 games will presumably play for 3rd/4th.
If Hallsville loses, there are three one-loss teams left. By winning the winners bracket, Hallsville is awarded the bye and thus a spot in the championship game, to play the winner of the round 18 game in a one-game final. There might be a 3rd/4th place game here too; I'm not sure.

If this is correct, that means the four most recent pyramidal high school quizbowl national championship finals games (2014 SSNCT, 2013 NASAT, 2013 NSC, 2013 HSNCT) will have each featured a team from Missouri! (And if Harmony is the opponent, all 4 will have been MO vs. TX!)
Last edited by Jeffrey Hill on Sun May 04, 2014 12:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: minor additions/clarifications

L-Town Expatriate

Jeffrey Hill wrote:If this is correct, that means the four most recent pyramidal high school quizbowl national championship finals games (2014 SSNCT, 2013 NASAT, 2013 NSC, 2013 HSNCT) will have each featured a team from Missouri! (And if Harmony is the opponent, all 4 will have been MO vs. TX!)
Cue latest use of the hashtag #BetterThanTexas :lol:

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

AMSA over Glasgow 440-235.
Litchfield over Cumberland 420-165.

Hallsville previously knocked Litchfield to the elimination bracket in round 13 after a 445-190 win, and has not played AMSA yet. Not sure which of these two teams they are playing now.

L-Town Expatriate

If I'm looking at Hallsville's stats correctly, did they grail Round 4?

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Hallsville wins over Litchfield 435-225!

AMSA defeats Harmony Science North Austin 350-290.

I believe this sets up an advantaged final between Hallsville and AMSA, with Hallsville having the advantage!

L-Town Expatriate

We appear headed for a second game. :?

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Yep.

L-Town Expatriate

Judging by Bossick's running score, Hallsville had five negs in that game. Killer.

Anybody else felling tense hitting refresh on at least two browser tabs right now?

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

A successful power-vulch by Hallsville to start Game 2; that's the style of play I like to see!

L-Town Expatriate

Live by the neg, die by the neg: three by AMSA this half.

(edit) And according to Bossick, Hallsville called time after back-to-back vulture attempts failed.

(another edit) AMSA up to seven negs now; they had zero in the last game to Hallsville's five.

Calling it now: Barring Curt Schilling's bloody sock, I'll let you all know when Hallsville's mayor gives Jared & the team a key to the city.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

Yay, Hallsville!

L-Town Expatriate

Mewto55555 wrote:Yay, Hallsville!
Big Hootenanny in Boone County tonight!

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

Congratulations Hallsville!

Jeffrey Hill

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Congratulations to Hallsville on your national championship! That's three consecutive pyramidal high school quizbowl national championships by Missouri teams!

richardyu

Post by richardyu »

This is very cool. Congratulations to Hallsville. :mrgreen: And good luck to those attending the HSNCT 4 weeks from now.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Congratulations to Hallsville for winning the Small School Title! Also, great job to Pilot Grove and Mound City for representing Missouri teams well at the Small School National Championship.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Congrats Hallsville!

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Very Cool. Congrats to Hallsville!

IdesofLeeMarch

Post by IdesofLeeMarch »

As some of you may know, I was a member of the Hallsville High School Quiz Bowl team up until this semester. That being said, I'm so proud of Jared, Josh, Logan, and Joel right now! They've worked their [behinds] (Am I allowed to swear on here?) off to get to this!

Also, major props to Mr. Allen for his hard work!
Last edited by Jeffrey Hill on Sun May 04, 2014 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: no, you're not; see rule 5

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

WOOO HALLSVILLE!!! Yay!!!

Kirksville Coach

Post by Kirksville Coach »

Congratulations, Hallsville. We're looking forward to taking on the national champs in the first round of state.