Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Tiger Bowl VII at Mizzou - January 31, 2015

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
khrum

Tiger Bowl VII at Mizzou - January 31, 2015

Post by khrum »

Greetings, coaches!

I'm pleased to announce the seventh iteration of Tiger Bowl to be hosted by the University of Missouri Quizbowl Club,. The tournament will run on the 31st of January in the Arts and Sciences Building. We will be using an HSAPQ question set for this tournament. This tournament will abide by all MSHSAA rules, and will use PACE rules for scoring (20 tossups with 30 point rebounding bonuses, and tossups will have no point penalties for an early buzz that is incorrect, and powers, or an extra 10 points for a correct early buzz.) All teams attending can expect to play at least 10 rounds, with more for teams expecting to be competitive in the playoffs.

We will be giving out trophies to the top 4 attending teams.

This tournament will be using a rule where each team can have a maximum of 6 players. If you have more than that, do not feel hesitant signing up an extra team so that every player gets more opportunities to participate in games.

The field will be capped at 32 teams. Spaces will be allotted on a first-come, first-serve basis. We will form a waitlist, and if teams drop, we will proceed down the list in order. If the field fills, then we will be able to guarantee you a 10 game schedule, which we are very excited to offer your team to allow them to get increased early season playing time. We hope to expand the field to 36 teams if we can meet our staffing needs.

Field (36/36):

Fort Osage x 2
Washington x 2
Centralia x 2
Helias x 3
Hickman x 2
Hannibal x 1
Wellsville-Middletown x 1
Savannah x 1
Webster Groves x 2
Hallsville x 3
De Smet x 2
Warrenton x 1
Rock Bridge x 3
Cuba x 1
Camdenton x 1
Salem x 2
Parkway Central x 1
Pilot Grove x 1
Tuscumbia x 1
Oakville x 1
Ladue x 3

Waitlist:

CIS
Calvary Lutheran

Fee Structure:

First team from a school: $65
Additional teams from the same school: $60 per team
Buzzer system discount*: -$5 per system per team, up to $15 off.
Staffer discounts: -$5 per team that brings a scorekeeper, and -$15 for each experienced moderator a team brings. This can be a coach, parent, or any other person attending who isn’t playing. We will provide the scorekeeper with a lunch. For both the staff discounts, we need to know about your plans to bring staff before the tournament, and we reserve the right to not take you up on your staff and their discount.

Registering:

As with last year, we will be using a Google Form to register for Tiger Bowl this year. Coaches, please click here in order to access the form. Registration will be on a first-come, first-serve basis. We will email all of the coaches to ask for rosters around a month before the tournament.

We hope to see you on January 31st in Columbia for an excellent tournament! If you have any questions or concerns, please email me at itamar_naveh_benjamin@yahoo.com.

Itamar Naveh-Benjamin
Tournament Co-Director
Last edited by khrum on Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

OakvilleHSCoach

Re: Tiger Bowl VII at Mizzou - January 31, 2015

Post by OakvilleHSCoach »

Could you please post the current field for this tournament?

Also, I emailed you back in December asking whether Oakville had registered yet and never received a response. I am going to resubmit the form just in case.

MichaelMenkhus

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

So, uh, did this tournament happen?

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Yes, it did. I left before finals so I do not know who won.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

There's a stats link up for the prelims.

Um, one small thing. It says my B team and Hallsville B played each other twice to the exact same result. I know Joe really hit his stride this tournament, but I think him playing a 6th game when everyone else is playing 5 may have helped his stat line a little.

Not that there wasn't an eventual extra game for them. (There was a half-game played with incorrect teams) That had to be a headache. Hope everyone involved were good sports about it.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Hallsville and Savannah both went 11-0, resulting in a best-of-three beginning with the second game of the superplayoff. Hallsville won both games* to sweep the tournament. Hannibal defeated Rock Bridge to claim 3rd.

*I read the third place game and was only able to see the second half of the last game; if it turns out that Savannah forced a third game, then Jeff's moderating is faster than Jimmy John's freaky fast deliveries.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:Hallsville won both games* to sweep the tournament.

*I read the third place game and was only able to see the second half of the last game; if it turns out that Savannah forced a third game, then Jeff's moderating is faster than Jimmy John's freaky fast deliveries.
It was in 2 games - both were well-played by both teams with several early buzzes and 30'd bonuses. The second game was closer than the first - I thought it was within 50 when I asked for the score check after 19, but it was something like 400-330 at that point.

I couldn't imagine how incomprehensible it would be to attempt to read or play 3 games in that amount of time.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Look what's finally been entered!

Playoffs
Superplayoffs

I'm waiting for Itamar to find and send me the prelims SQBS file so I can merge them to make a combined file.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »