Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Show-Me Conference Elementary Knowledge Bowl

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
socalcaptain

Show-Me Conference Elementary Knowledge Bowl

Post by socalcaptain »

I'm pleased to announce that this year's Show-Me Conference Elementary Knowledge Bowl will feature a pyramidal question set.

The Knowledge Bowl will be held on March 17th and will bring together elementary school (3rd-6th grade) teams from the 9 schools in the Show-Me Conference (Chamois, Eugene, Fatima, Linn, New Bloomfield, Russellville, South Callaway, St. Elizabeth and Tuscumbia). The tournament is currently double-elimination and each round features twenty tossups.

I will be head-editing and writing a substantial portion of this year's question set, with contributions from a team of writers including David Dennis, Luke Schuster, Charles Hang, and members of the Hallsville and Washington high school quizbowl teams.

Distribution:
3 Language Arts & Literature
4 Science
4 Social Studies (History & Civics)
3 Mathematics
1 Religion & Mythology
1.5 Fine Arts
1.5 Geography
1 Current Events
1 Pop Culture/Miscellaneous

socalcaptain

Re: Show-Me Conference Elementary Knowledge Bowl

Post by socalcaptain »

So, I have officially delivered this question set for the main site! It’s been a blast working on this project and providing what I hope is a good quality set for elementary students.

This project would not have been possible without a number of writers and contributors:
  • -David Dennis, who personally wrote a very large chunk of this set, including nearly all of the math computation, and also coordinated the writing efforts of some of his students who contributed as well (Matt Chalem, Spencer Johnson, Belle Stanfield, James Collier and Audrey Bush)
    -Jared Lockwood, who contributed mainly in the science categories
    -Charles Hang, who worked on a large chunk of the history questions
    -Luke Schuster, who wrote questions in a number of categories
    -Ryan Kennedy, Sam Haynes and Jack Miller, who all agreed to contribute questions at the last minute to fill in the gaps.
I’d also like to thank Jason Loy for encouraging me to pursue this project and helping to initiate the process with the Show-Me Conference administrators. Jason is usually my go-to guy for elementary/MS quizbowl, and having him unavailable to discuss question content made this process much more challenging, but also forced me to step up my game.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Quick thoughts from this tournament, which I was able to attend today:

- Difficulty level seemed to be pretty much on target. Top teams were answering 16-17 out of 20 tossups combined, lower teams around 13 combined. This was a major question style change for many of the teams, so next year I would expect to see more like 18 and 15.

- Moderators seemed to make use of the pronunciation guides when they were included, but I might need to insert a few more.

- The distribution seemed to be appropriate for the teams.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Oh, cool. I didn't know it was getting played this soon. I'll let the kids know their stuff was played on today. They'll really get a kick out of that.