Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Houston Fall Tournament

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Mr. Pounds

Houston Fall Tournament

Post by Mr. Pounds »

Houston will host a tournament on Saturday, November 12, 2016. We will be using NAQT's IS-160 question set; this set is also being used at the Missouri Fall Academic Tournament in Columbia. If you attend that tournament, you may not attend this one.

Each game will consist of twenty tossups and up to twenty three-part, thirty-point rebounding bonuses. Each team will be guaranteed at least eight rounds regardless of performance; please plan to stay for the duration of the tournament so we can fulfill this guarantee. This includes scheduled consolation rounds. Rosters will be limited to eight players per team, with no more than six per team playing in any single game. More logistical details will be available at a later date.

We will initially cap the field at twelve teams and will expand if sufficient staff is available.

Fees are as follows:

base fee (first team from each school): $60
second or subsequent teams: $55
travel discount (100 miles or more one way): -$5 per team
buzzer discount (must work for eight players; limit three discounts per school): -$5

To register, please email the number of teams and buzzer systems that you plan to bring to jpounds@houston.k12.mo.us.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Mr. Pounds

Re: Houston Fall Tournament

Post by Mr. Pounds »

The following schools are registered for this tournament:

Richland
Rolla
Salem, 2 teams
Mtn. Grove
Koshkonong

Mr. Pounds

Post by Mr. Pounds »

Cuba has added 2 teams as well. With Houston playing two teams, this puts us at 10, I am willing to expand to 16 if we have enough interest.

Mr. Pounds

Post by Mr. Pounds »

Weaubleau has added 2 teams. That puts us at 10. I am looking for at least 2 more teams, but if enough schools are interested, we can expand to 16!

Mr. Pounds

Post by Mr. Pounds »

St. James has added a team and Sullivan has added 2. This puts us at 15. Right now, I have capped at 16, so I need one more. If I can find the staff, I would be willing to increase again, but it would depend on interest!

So, the list is:

Houston 2
Salem 2
Sullivan 2
Cuba 2
Weaubleau 2
Richland
Rolla
Mtn Grove
Koshkonong
St. James

Mr. Pounds

Post by Mr. Pounds »

Licking has also joined with 2 teams, which brings us to 17. We will cap at 18 for right now.

Mr. Pounds

Post by Mr. Pounds »

We are currently at 21 teams and would like to expand to 24 if anyone else is interested in attending. Let me know!

Mr. Pounds

Post by Mr. Pounds »

The Houston Fall Tournament has now filled at 24 teams. The list is as follows. I don't currently have anyone on the waiting list, but if anyone would like to be on the waiting list, please email me at jpounds@houston.k12.mo.us. If you are interested in our Spring Tournament, we are still at 12 teams. We will probably start at 18 and expand to 24 if needed. Thank you!

Summersville A
Summersville B
Licking A
Licking B
Richland
Rolla
Salem A
Salem B
Mountain Grove
Cuba A
Cuba B
Houston A