Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Washington Middle School (WIMSEY IV) 2/23/19

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
dwd50

Washington Middle School (WIMSEY IV) 2/23/19

Post by dwd50 »

Washington Middle School will be hosting the Washington Invitational for Middle School and Elementary Youths (WIMSEY IV) on February 23rd, 2019.

For the Middle School and Elementary Divisions, we will use question set MS-25 from National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT). You can find free sample questions at http://www.naqt.com. This is the same set as Houston's tournament on February 2nd. Teams cannot attend both events.
Middle School will play in the 20/20 format of tossups and 3-part non-rebounding bonuses. There will be powers for early correct answers, but no penalties for incorrect answers.

We are starting with an initial Middle School cap at 24 teams. My main concern is staff. This tournament has been a popular event, but one that I have consistent troubles keeping adequately staffed. My usual army of scorekeepers from my high school event, namely the middle schoolers, will actually be playing this go-around.

So to help facilitate this, and open to the highest number of schools possible, only the first team from a school will enter the field, and any remaining teams will go onto the waitlist. We are also capping rosters at 7 players per team.

The Elementary division will run on a slightly modified set and the same rules as the Middle School Division, but games will be shortened to 16 tossup cycles and bonuses will rebound. We are capping the Elementary field at 12 teams. Again, only a school’s first team will be placed in the field, then any other teams will be on the waitlist. Again, rosters are capped at 7 per team.

Prices are:
- $70 for the first Middle School team for a school, $65 for each additional Middle School team. (B, etc.)
- $60 for the first Elementary team for a school, $55 for each additional Elementary team.
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount.
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse this discount.
- With the large number of divisions and teams, at this point most moderators will be working without a scorekeeper. Providing a scorekeeper who can work a room the whole day is a $5 discount.
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.

Registration will begin at 8:30, the first matches will take place at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12 PM. There will be a concession stand (popcorn, candy, and sodas) open during the day. There are several options for lunch in town.

Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Please use this form to register

You are not registered until you receive a confirmation email from the tournament director. If interest and staffing permits, we will lift the cap to as high as we can accommodate. Again, please let us know about buzzers and moderators as early as possible.

The top 2 teams in each division will receive a trophy. There are prizes (books and medals) for the top 10 individual scorers in each division.

Our school’s address is 401 E 14th St., Washington, MO 63090.
- If you come by I-44, Washington is exit #251 on route 100 – turn right at the 100/47 intersection, and then take a left to the middle school at the 2nd stoplight.
- If you come by I-70, take exit 203 (State Hwy T) follow that for about 15 miles, turn left on 47, cross the bridge into town, and take a right to the middle school at the 5th stoplight.

dwd50

Re: Washington Middle School (WIMSEY IV) 2/23/19

Post by dwd50 »

Bolded teams have confirmed attendance by sending in a roster.

Middle School Field (32/32)
STL Patriots
Moberly A
Moberly B

St. Clair
CIS A
CIS B
CIS C
CIS D

Elsberry A
Elsberry B
Elsberry C

Hallsville
Cole R-1
Sullivan A
Sullivan B
Sullivan C
Sullivan D

Orchard Farm A
Orchard Farm B

West A
West B
West C
Lange

Union A
Union B
Union C

Sunrise A
Sunrise B
Washington A
Washington B
Washington C

South Callaway

Middle School Waitlist
Washington D

Elementary Division (14/18)
STL Patriots A
STL Patriots B

Mountain Home
CIS A
CIS B

CGE A
CGE B

Sullivan A
Sullivan B

West A
West B

Sunrise
Hallsville A
Hallsville B

Elementary Waitlist

STAFF

Moderators (20+ish)
STL Patriots
Moberly
CIS
CGE
Sullivan (2)
Orchard Farm (TBD)
West (2)
Washington (11 if all are available)

Scorekeepers (TBD)
STL Patriots
Moberly (Maybe)
CIS
CGE
Elsberry
Hallsville (TBD)
Sullivan (3-5)
Orchard Farm (TBD)
West (2)
Washington (a ton if not all my middle schoolers are playing)

Buzzers (25)
STL Patriots (2)
Moberly (2)
Mountain Home
CIS (2)
CGE
Elsberry
Hallsville
Cole
Sullivan (3)
Orchard Farm (2)
West (3)
Washington (6)
Last edited by dwd50 on Fri Feb 22, 2019 9:20 pm, edited 11 times in total.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

We've expanded the middle school field to 32, which is probably a hard cap.

Elementary is expanded to 18, and all waitlisted teams are in.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Congrats to CIS A, who won the Middle School division over STL Patriots. CIS B took 3rd, and Washington A 4th.

In the Elementary division, Mountain Home (AR) won over CGE A in the final.

I'll have more info and thanks for everyone tomorrow, but stats are here.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Thanks to the moderating/scorekeeping crew: Jason Loy, Molly Derner, Marty Derner, Audrey Bush, Ada Montgomery, Katlynn Miller, John Miller, Josh German, Brenden Jennings, Lynda Doepker, Chris Tiller, Joel Doepker, Pete Bush, Jeremy Robey, Autumn Landers-Grill, Lisa McClary, Hiley Pritchett, Emma Crocker, Tim Amiri, Jackson Morton, Gwen Amiri, Samantha Doepker, Melanie Bush, Mark Pearson, Jen Farra, Marcie Lampe, Jamie Yelton, Suzette Waters, Aaliyah Alvarez, Kristin Bowmen, Kim Weber, Greg Nuckolls, Hunter Bausch, Tahj Burnett, Savannah Carmichael, Sara Young, Emilee Roach, Gretchen Rohrs, Ms. McCullogh from CGE, Lori Lockwood, Gwen Minks, Silas Clements, Elijah Uffman, Kyle Meyer, Owen Spreckelmeyer, Angel Young, Phil Young and most important - Jacob O'Rourke and Max Grimes working in the control rooms.

Thanks to our parents organization for all your help. I didn't get much of a chance to see who all was working at the concession stand throughout the day, and a lot of the people in the organization were drafted into the staffing list up above. I really do appreciate the help you're giving the program.