UPDATE (9 Jan 2020, 1225p): Because of the imminent risk of inclement weather, the South Shelby Winter Invitational is postponed to January 18th.
The members of South Shelby High School Scholar Bowl welcome your team to join others from across the region at the third South Shelby Winter Invitational (SS WIN), scheduled for January 11th, 2020. SS WIN will consist of a minimum of eight games for all teams in a modified NAQT/national format:
- Each game shall consist of two halves of ten tossups each, with each correct tossup followed by a three-part bonus.
- Correct tossup answers are ten points each, with an additional five-point “power” awarded if a tossup is correctly answered before a predetermined point in the tossup. We will NOT assess a five-point penalty for interrupting the moderator during the tossup with an incorrect answer.
- The team that receives the bonus will have five seconds to answer each part. The moderator will prompt after four seconds.
- Each incorrect bonus part will immediately rebound, with the rebounding team expected to provide an answer within three seconds. Unless otherwise specified in a bonus set, each bonus part shall be ten points each.
- Math computation tossups and bonus will receive ten seconds instead of 15 seconds.
- In the event a game is tied after regulation, additional tossups shall be read until the next change in score.
- Each team shall have one 30 second timeout per half. Teams must use a timeout to request a scorecheck other than at halftime or the end of regulation. Substitutions, scorechecks, and team conferences may occur at the half, prior to overtime, or during any timeout called by either team.
- Teams rosters shall be limited to seven players; schools are encouraged to bring junior varsity and “B” teams to compete. Teams may play with fewer than four players, but we ask that teams have at least two players. Rosters shall be submitted in advance and finalized at registration the morning of the tournament. Players may not change teams during the tournament.
We have secured set IS-189A from NAQT, the provider of the questions for the MSHSAA district and state tournaments. This set is assigned to MOQBA’s other Winter Invitational hosts: Fatima, Lakeland, Mountain Grove and Wentzville Holt, as well as a tournament at Lee’s Summit North. If you have registered for any of these events, you will not be able to participate in SS WIN.
Teams will play five morning rounds, break for lunch, then return for at least three afternoon games. This setup is subject to change, depending on the number of teams signed up. We plan to start the team meeting at 8:30 a.m., with the first round set for 8:50 a.m. and afternoon rounds slated to begin at 1:30 p.m. With the exception of any playoff games for trophies, we anticipate the last game ending around 4 p.m.
Fee structure is as follows, per school:
- Each team: $70
- Discount for providing a working buzzer set: $5
- Discount for providing a competent scorekeeper: $10
- Discount for providing a competent moderator: $15
South Shelby High School is halfway between Clarence and Shelbina along (but not directly accessible from) the eastbound lanes of Highway 36. You will need to get off at the junction with Route FF, turn north then left onto South Shelby Drive. Because of the distance and limited lunch options in Clarence and Shelbina, we are again planning to offer a lunch and concession stand staffed by members of the South Shelby FFA.
The tournament is under the direction of South Shelby High School Coach Ann Neubauer and veteran scholar bowl moderator Kyle Hill of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance. Assistance will be provided by other MOQBA members as well as community members
To register for this tournament, please visit http://tinyurl.com/2020SSWIN. Questions concerning the tournament may be directed to either Ann Neubauer at firstname.lastname@example.org or Kyle Hill at email@example.com. Please include “2020 SSWIN” in the subject line.
On a personal note, this is my 6,000th post on these forums. It is with great pride that I use it to announce this annual event in what I term the "Cradle of Missouri Quizbowl". I hope to see a full house at South Shelby HS for a great day of competition January 11th!