Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Washington Middle WIMSEY V

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
dwd50

Washington Middle WIMSEY V

Post by dwd50 »

Washington Middle School will be hosting the 5th annual Washington Invitational for Middle School and Elementary Youths (WIMSEY V) on February 22.

This year we will be running four different divisions:
- A Competitive Middle School division
- A Standard Middle School division
- An Elementary division

The aim in splitting up the field is to help with scheduling (32 teams is a beast to run in 10 rounds) and to keep teams playing competitive matches throughout the day.

All divisions will be run on NAQT's MS-33 set.

Middle School games will be 20/20 with 15s, but no -5s, and bonuses will not rebound.
Elementary games will be 16/16 with 15s, but no -5s, and bonuses WILL rebound.

Costs are:

- $70 for the first Middle School team for a school, $65 for each additional Middle School team. (B, etc.)
- $60 for the first Elementary team for a school, $55 for each additional Elementary team.
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount.
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse this discount.
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.

The caps (currently) are:
Competitive Middle - 12
Standard Middle - 18
Elementary - 18

These can change if we're able to bring in the staff.

Teams can register here: https://forms.gle/v3QuV1PeodCY2WZc9
Last edited by dwd50 on Sun Feb 09, 2020 7:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

dwd50

Re: Washington Middle WIMSEY V

Post by dwd50 »

Field

Competitive Middle (12/12)
Hallsville
Tuscumbia A
West
Lange A
Lange B

CIS A
CIS B

Washington A
Washington B
Washington C

Sullivan A
Smithton A

Standard Middle (18/18)
Sunrise A
Sunrise B

Union A
Union B

Moberly
Tuscumbia B
Cole
CIS C
Washington D
Sullivan B
Sullivan C
Sullivan D
Smithton B
Louisiana A
Louisiana B
South Callaway A
South Callaway B
South Callaway C

Elementary(16/18)
Sunrise
Hallsville A
Hallsville B
Hallsville C
Hallsville D

CGE A
CGE B
Tuscumbia A
Tuscumbia B
West
CIS A
CIS B
Sullivan A
Sullivan B
STL Patriots A
STL Patriots B

Buzzers
Sunrise (2)
Hallsville
Union (2)
Moberly (2)
CGE
Tuscumbia (2)
Cole
Lange
CIS (3)
Washington (6)
Sullivan (2)
STL Patriots (2)
Smithton (2)
Louisiana
South Callaway

Staff
CGE
Tuscumbia
CIS
Sullivan
STL Patriots
Last edited by dwd50 on Fri Feb 21, 2020 12:09 pm, edited 10 times in total.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

The Competitive Middle School division is full, other teams registering for that will be placed on a waitlist.

There is, as of 1/29, one more opening in the Standard Middle School divisions, and there are 2 more openings in the Elementary Division.

There's enough room in the Non-MSHSAA field to drive a Mack truck through.

srawh

Post by srawh »

Hello - Where are you located? I have a few elementary teams and 1-2 middle school teams that are NON-MSHSAA. We are located in Kansas City.
Thank you!

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

Washington is about an hour west of STL, along the MO River.

Google Maps says it would be a 3.5 hour drive for you. I sent you an email reply just a minute ago.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

In the Elementary Division - STL Patriots A and West were tied in Round after 16, and Patriots A took the tiebreaker to win the tournament.

In the Standard Division - Washington D went 4-1 to win the division. CIS C took 2nd over Moberly based on points scored.

In the Competitive Division - CIS A went undefeated to win. Washington took 2nd over Hallsville based on points scored.

Stats can be found here

Thanks to: Sean Phillips, Samantha Doepker, Kyle Meyer, Audrey Bush, Jen Farra, Silas Clements, Jacob O'Rourke, Lynda Doepker, Pete Bush, Katlynn Miller, Melanie Bush, Peter Bush, Sara Young, Kenney Medling, Lisa McClary, Eli Uffman, Owen Straatmann, Joel Doepker, Lisa Sparrow, Mark Pearson, Caleb Young, Grady Nuckolls, Greg Nuckolls, Rachel Derner, Lydia Bush, Austin Gober, Cameron Schenkel, Angel Young, Phil Young, CIS' second reader (sorry, your scorekeeper never got your name on any of the scoresheets), Owen Spreckelmeyer, Gretchen Rohrs, Blaine from Sullivan, Owen Farra, Molly Derner, and Marty Derner.

The feeling I got from yesterday was that the split divisions for Middle School worked extremely well. This had been tried once before at a tournament at Tuscumbia about 4-5 years ago, but the two divisions played on different sets (SCOP Novice and SCOP MS), and while the competition was good for teams, the harder set made it feel as if it was more of a burden. Keeping the two divisions on the same set allowed the competition itself to be the draw, and I think that worked.

I personally liked seeing my teams in competitive grow and mature from the pressure seemingly round-by-round (and wow did they learn a lot about themselves) and seeing my kids on my D team still get the experience that comes from playing meaningful games with trophies on the line late in the day. I plan on keeping this idea next year, but will change the names of the divisions per a suggestion from Sean that I totally agree with.