Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

2020 College Heights Fall Novice Tournament (9-13 Nov)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

2020 College Heights Fall Novice Tournament (9-13 Nov)

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

College Heights Christian School of Joplin played host to the inaugural 2020 CHC Fall Novice Tournament, which spanned from November 9th to 13th, 2020. We used the ERIS (Early Release Introductory Set) and were pleased to have the following schools compete through Zoom:

Butler
Calhoun
Springfield Central A & B
Clever
College Heights
Diamond
Exeter
Fair Grove
Greenwood Lab
Springfield Kickapoo
Pleasant Hill
Stockton
Thomas Jefferson IDS
Waynesville
Weaubleau

Teams were split into four pools of four teams, with two pools playing Monday and two pools playing Tuesday. The top two teams from each pool played this evening in the championship pools, while the remaining teams played consolation matches Thursday.

Springfield Kickapoo was dominant in their six matches, taking care of a strong Central A squad 465-300 to win our tournament. Greenwood Lab claimed third with a 365-235 victory over Clever. Nathan Swenson of Kickapoo and Jonah Blake of Central A were our top two individual performers. Complete stats: https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/6 ... /complete/

Our event would not have been possible with the assistance of many people logging in from across the state: Scott Walker from Clever, Karen Hayes and Sandra Laws from Diamond, Michael Pisanti from Exeter, Abigail from Fair Grove, Angie Odom from Kickapoo, Stacy Krenke from Stockton, Sarah Luttrell from Waynesville, and Brian Nichols, Angie Forrest, and Lisa White from College Heights. Additional thanks go to members of the CHCS varsity team for scorekeeping and even moderating. And of course, this week's tournament would not have been possible without the willingness and leadership of Coach Jean Miller to step forward to provide this opportunity for Southwest Missouri's novice teams.

Until next time, Be Safe! Be Smart!

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Re: 2020 College Heights Fall Novice Tournament (9-13 Nov)

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

I must inform all teams of an egregious error that resulted in a team being incorrectly denied a spot in our playoff rounds. The Round Two matchup between Springfield Central B and Thomas Jefferson IDS was incorrectly recorded in our official statistics, resulting in the Cavaliers being placed in the consolation brackets when they had instead qualified for the playoffs.

The game in question, which finished 280-250 in favor of TJIDS, was instead marked as a 250-85 victory for Central B. The game took place in a room where a backup scorekeeper was staffing as a result of a miscommunication over staffing commitments resulting in the originally scheduled scorekeeper not being present. This resulted in a partially completed scoresheet for Round Two being entered while Round Three was being played. At the time, stats for TJIDS were only complete through tossup 9, while Springfield Central’s data was complete. I mistook this as the final score and entered them as is, not realizing that the scoresheet was incomplete. I also did not think to double-check the scoresheet after the moderator informed me that the scoresheets had been completed after the end of the day’s contests.

Because of the error in official stats, TJIDS was informed that they had not advanced to the playoff rounds, and instead competed Thursday in consolation matches, while Central B ended up finishing seventh in the playoffs. Unfortunately, the error was not caught until after the conclusion of our tournament.

Ultimately, this error is a case of “haste makes waste” and falls on my shoulders. For that, I profusely apologize to the team from Thomas Jefferson for this resulting in their not being able to compete for the tournament title. Given the structure of the tournament and that the error was only realized after its conclusion, there is sadly no way of knowing, even statistically, how TJIDS would have finished had this error been fixed prior to the consolation rounds, or not have occurred at all.

As Central B was incorrectly advanced to the playoffs in place of TJIDS, we are elevating TJIDS to a seventh-place tie with Central B’s result. Because Pleasant Hill would have carried over a win over TJIDS, their record was also adversely impacted by the error, resulting in the Roosters not competing for third place against Greenwood Lab. Therefore, we are elevating Pleasant Hill into a statistical tie for third. Statistics on the HSQB database have been updated with corrected results and placements.

To avoid this error in the future, I intend to make sure all staff are properly trained to use scoresheets, and written instructions are included. This would ensure that in the event we need someone to step in on short notice, scorekeepers are able to do so promptly. Additionally, I will strive to double-check my work, even if it means letting it sit an hour or two before coming back to it.

I will also need the help of the quiz bowl community in doing this. Given the fluid situation we find ourselves in with quarantines looming on an hourly basis, staff commitments may fall through on short notice. Teams that initially offer staff but end up unable to do so should inform tournament officials as soon as they learn that they are no longer able to field a committed staffer.

Additionally, if during a tournament you believe your team’s stats are in error and could impact whether or not your team advances into the playoffs, do not hesitate in approaching tournament personnel with the details. The sooner we are able to address and rectify the problem, the better the solution will play out for all teams.

Again, I apologize to all teams affected by this error.

Best Regards,
Kyle Hill