Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

WUHSAC XXIII (02/27/2021)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Mickey0R0urke

WUHSAC XXIII (02/27/2021)

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

The Washington University Quiz Bowl team is excited to announce the twenty-third annual WUHSAC, to be held “at” Washington University in St. Louis on Saturday, February 27th, 2021.

My name is Jacob O’Rourke, and I'll serve as tournament director for this year's tournament. The set is once again a mirror of Yale's BHSAT event. We are looking forward to a tournament that will celebrate the awesome teams and students playing in the event as well as our two decades of hosting the best and brightest of Missouri and nearby states!

We are tentatively planning on using Zoom for this tournament.

To sign your team up for WUHSAC XXIII, please e-mail me at jacob.orourke.7@gmail.com with a note about WUHSAC in the subject line so I can easily flag it. Teams will be signed up on a first-come, first-served basis. The field will be updated online at moquizbowl.com and hsquizbowl.org as registrations are received. If the field fills up before you can sign up, please allow us to waitlist you as well; in such a large field, there is an appreciable chance that one or more teams will cancel. I will be setting the initial cap at 24 teams, with the possibility that we will expand depending on staffing constraints.

WUHSAC's general rules will be similar to last year.

Rules
•20 tossups and bonuses per game
•no computational math
•20 point powers
•NO bouncebacks on bonuses.
•We will be using negs.

Format
•24-team field with the possibility that this might expand
•Bracketed round robin prelims
•Re-bracketed round robin playoffs

Fees for the tournament will be as follows:
•$10 per school plus $65 per team
•-$15 per experienced staff volunteer

Information regarding the set distribution for BHSAT can be found at this link:

https://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic ... 09&t=24582

I'd like to ask everyone interested in providing staff to let me know the name of the staffer as soon as possible and if that person would rather scorekeep or is good to read. Keeping track of staff for a tournament of this size will be almost as big a deal as keeping track of the field in preparation for the event. Thank you very much for your help!

As in previous years, we expect that some number of top-finishing teams at WUHSAC XXI will be invited to this year's PACE National Scholastics Championship, which will be online the weekend of June 5-6th. We hope WUHSAC will provide a useful opportunity for teams and staffers to visit and become familiar with a format similar to that of NSC beforehand (albeit NSC uses bouncebacks). A link to the 2021 NSC can be found here:

http://www.pace-nsc.org/2021-pace-nsc/

In addition there will be a separate award for the top small school at the event, using the PACE NSC definition of small school. There will also be an award if 4 or more teams qualify for the top JV team per the PACE definition. The definitions are as follows, per the 2017 NSC:

"A JV team consists of players in 10th grade or below…”

A “small school” is a school with fewer than 700 students in 10th through 12th grades that is a public school and has a non-selective admission policy (non-selective is not the same as non-magnet; schools from systems where every school is a specialized center and students may choose to attend any are eligible)."

If you have any further questions, please e-mail me or reply here. We look forward to you all attending WUHSAC XXIII!

Sincerely,

Jacob O’Rourke
Tournament Director, WUHSAC XXIII

Mickey0R0urke

Re: WUHSAC XXIII (02/27/2021)

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Just want to clarify: the first two teams from a school will be given priority in the field. C (and subsequent) teams will be put onto a waitlist with an eye towards expansion.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Field (34/36):
-College Heights Christian (1 team, 2 staffers)
-Washington (2 teams, 1 staffer)
-Eldon (1 team, 0 staffers)
-Detroit Country Day [MI] (2 teams, 0 staffers)
-Orchard Farm (2 teams, 1 staffer)
-Kinkaid [TX] (1 team, 0 staffers)
-Parkview (1 team, 0 staffers)
-Mexico (2 teams, 1 staffer)
-Priory (1 team, 0 staffers)
-Sullivan (1 team, 0 staffers)
-Warrenton (1 team, 0 staffers)
-Weaubleau (1 team, 0 staffers)
-St. Joseph Central (2 teams, 0 staffers)
-Detroit Catholic Central (3 teams, 0 staffers)
-North Kansas City (1 team, 0 staffers)
-Macomb [IL] (2 teams, 0 staffers)
-Parkway West (2 teams, 0 staffers)
-CIS (1 team, 1 staffer)
-Notre Dame (Cape Girardeau) (1 team, 0 staffers)
-Fort Osage (1 team, 0 staffers)
-Boulder (CO) (1 team, 0 staffers)
-Ladue (2 teams, 1 staffer)
-Francis Howell (1 team, 0 staffers)
-Granite City (IL) (1 team, 0 staffers)

Waitlist
-Granite City B (IL)
-Clayton
-Webster Groves
-Kirksville
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Thu Feb 11, 2021 9:16 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

6 spots are left in the field before we start the initial waitlist. Register soon if you haven't yet and you want to secure a spot!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

The initial field for WUHSAC has filled. There are currently 4 teams on the waitlist, but I would like to encourage everybody to keep registering, as if I get the staff, I am willing to expand.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Live stats will be uploaded here as the day goes on.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Prelim stats have been completely posted, and you can follow along as I upload playoff stats here.