Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Nov 13 Clever Invitational (HS)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Reklaw

Nov 13 Clever Invitational (HS)

Post by Reklaw »

Coaches,

Clever HS will be hosting its 7th annual Clever High School Invitational Scholar Bowl tournament on November 13, 2021. The tournament will be in the 20 Tossup/20 Bonus format and we will be utilizing Powers for early buzzing. We will NOT be using bouncebacks on bonus questions or negative points for wrong answers (negs). At this time, we plan to be in person. However, this could change in a moment’s notice.

We will use question set IS-204 from National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT). This set is (at the time of posting) being used by Sullivan HS. If you are booked for both events, your have a big problem because not only are we duplicating questions, but contest dates. Please double check no other tournament you attend is using this set before entering. You can find free sample questions at http://www.naqt.com.

We are currently capping the field at 18 teams. The field can expand if there is more interest and more importantly staff. Last time we hosted in person, there was interest, but staffing was what kept us from expanding.

Prices are:
- $70 for the first team from a school, $65 for each additional team. ($5 increase from last year)
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount (must work for 8 players, limit 2 discounts per team). Preference given to those whose systems require the moderator to reset buzzers.
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse moderators .
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.
-$50 minimum per team.

Matches will begin at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12:00-12:30 PM. I’m looking for a group to help run my concession stand. In the past we have had Hamburgers or Chicken sandwiches and concessions throughout the day. I will have more information later. We hope to be done no later than 5:00PM (Last time we hosted in person, we finished at 3:45).

Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Rather than emailing me, please use this form to register. In an effort to get as many schools involved as we can, teams will be allowed 2 entries with all additional teams being put on the waiting list. “C” teams (and other letters) will be added to the lineup 2 weeks before the event.

http://bit.ly/Clever21

Please understand that, until I confirm with you via email, your team(s) are not registered. I will create a waiting list if this tournament fills up. Those who can provide experienced staffers are likely to gain priority over those just bringing teams on the waiting list.

I plan on awarding trophy/plaques to the top 2 teams, and individual medals for the top 10 scorers of the morning sessions. Currently, this is scheduled at the High School off of Mo-14. Feel free to email me with any questions at walkers@cleverbluejays.org.

On a side note, if you are hosting a tournament we would gladly like information as we are looking to fill our season as well. If you are considering hosting, please feel free to ask me questions. If I don’t know the answer I have contacts who will.

Reklaw

Re: Nov 13 Clever Invitational (HS)

Post by Reklaw »

Current Field 30/30

Ash Grove (2)
Clever (2)
Conway (2)
Fair Grove (2)
Gainesville (2)
Galena
Glendale (2)
Greenfield
Greenwood
Houston (2)
Jasper (2)
Kickapoo (2)
Pierce City (2)
Richland
Skyline
Southwest (2)
Spokane
Strafford
Weaubleau

Moderators 16/15

Ash Grove
Clever (3)
Conway
Greenfield
Greenwood
Gainesville
Houston
Fair Grove
Pierce City
Richland
Skyline
Southwest
Spokane
Strafford (2)

Waiting List Teams

Last Edited 11/10/21 0837
Last edited by Reklaw on Wed Nov 10, 2021 8:37 am, edited 19 times in total.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

This tournament is now full. If we can fill the necessary amount of Moderators, we can expand up to 24 teams and possibly further. Interested teams for the waiting list who offer Moderators will help expand the list.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

I am mostly comfortable at this time expanding to 24 teams. I have sent emails to teams on the waiting lists to ensure interest, but there are still a few spots open if anyone is still interested. I would greatly appreciate if teams can provide Moderators and those teams will be given preference over those who can't provide them.

Thanks,

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

In what I can only describe as my personal moment of insanity, I have expanded the field to 30.

There is a spot for one team if someone is interested. Please fill out the form and email me if you want that spot. If you can provide some scorekeepers, that would be nice.

Thanks

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

First, Thank you to everyone who came and staffed. This was the largest event in Clever's history, and we had exactly the right amount of staff to make it happen.

The day ended somewhat awkwardly. After prelim rounds, 8 teams advanced to the playoffs with no carry over games. The top 8 were rebracketed, and played 3 rounds. Those brackets took the top 2 teams from the new brackets, to play 2 more games in Super Playoffs, with one carry over from the early playoffs.

In the end, we had the dreaded Triangle of Death, where Kickapoo B had defeated Fair Grove A, Kickapoo A had defeated Kickapoo B, and Fair Grove A had defeated Kickapoo A. While a tiered final was proposed, Kickapoo conceded the matches. Fair Grove A was declared champions as they were the top seed of the tiered playoff and Kickapoo conceded the playoffs. Kickapoo B was second and Kickapoo A was 3rd. In the end, I think all 3 teams were fairly equally matched.

Full stats can be found below:

https://hsquizbowl.org/db/tournaments/7216/

Thanks again for everyone who participated and staffed. It was a long, but good day.