Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Nov 12- Clever HS

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Reklaw

Nov 12- Clever HS

Post by Reklaw »

Coaches,

Clever HS will be hosting its 8th annual Clever High School Invitational Scholar Bowl tournament on November 12, 2021. The tournament will be in the 20 Tossup/20 Bonus format and we will be utilizing Powers for early buzzing. We will NOT be using bouncebacks on bonus questions or negative points for wrong answers (negs). This tournament will be in-person, at Clever High School.

We will use question set IS-213 from National Academic Quiz Tournaments (NAQT). This set is (at the time of posting) being used in Missouri by Sullivan HS on 11/19 and Smithville on 1/28. Please double check no other tournament you attend is using this set before entering. You can find free sample questions at http://www.naqt.com.

We are currently capping the field at 18 teams. The field can expand if there is more interest and more importantly staff. Last year we were able to accommodate 30 teams thanks to a wonder pool of staffers and helpers, and I would love to host that size or larger.

Prices are:
- $70 for the first team from a school, $65 for each additional team.
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount (must work for 8 players, limit 2 discounts per team). Preference given to those whose systems require the moderator to reset buzzers.
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse moderators.
-Providing an experienced scorekeeper is a $10 discount. Scorekeepers must be digitally proficient enough to work with a Google Sheets scorecard with limited training.
-$50 minimum per team.

Checkin will be at 8:30 and Matches will begin no later than 9:00 AM. There will be a lunch break around 12:00-12:30 PM. I’m looking for a group to help run my concession stand. In the past we have had Hamburgers or Chicken sandwiches and concessions throughout the day. I will have more information later. We hope to be done no later than 5:00PM (Last year we were done with Championship rounds (10 rounds) by 4:30pm)

Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Rather than emailing me, please use this form to register. In an effort to get as many schools involved as we can, teams will be allowed 2 entries with all additional teams being put on the waiting list. “C” teams (and other letters) will be added to the lineup 2 weeks before the event.

https://www.tinyurl.com/CleverHS22

Please understand that, until I confirm with you via email, your team(s) are not registered. I will create a waiting list if this tournament fills up. Those who can provide experienced staffers are likely to gain priority over those just bringing teams on the waiting list.

I plan on awarding trophy/plaques to the top 2 teams, and individual medals for the top 10 scorers of the morning sessions. Currently, this is scheduled at the High School off of Mo-14. Feel free to email me with any questions at walkers@cleverbluejays.org.

On a side note, if you are hosting a tournament we would gladly like information as we are looking to fill our season as well. If you are considering hosting, please feel free to ask me questions. If I don’t know the answer I have contacts who will.

Reklaw

Re: Nov 12- Clever HS

Post by Reklaw »

Current Field 42/42

Ash Grove-2
Central (SGF)
Clever-2
College Heights- 2
Conway-2
Fair Grove-1
Forsyth-1
Fort Osage-1
Galena- 1
Glendale-2
Greenfield-1
Greenwood-2
Hillcrest-1
Houston-2
Jasper-2
Kickapoo-2
Lakeland-1
Lockwood-1
Mountain Grove-1
Nevada-1
Parkview-1
Plato-1
Richland-1
Rogers Heritage-1
School of Osage-1
Skyline-2
Spokane-1
Strafford-1
Thayer-2
Weaubleau- 2

Waiting List * Teams will be added in the order below.

Staffing

Ash Grove- 1 Moderator
Clever- An army of HS and MS players and some parents and teachers…
College Heights- 2 Moderators, 1 Scorekeeper
Fair Grove- 1 Moderator, 1 Scorekeeper
Forsyth- 1 Moderator, If Needed
Galena- 1 Moderator
Glendale- 1 Moderator
Greenfield- 1 Scorekeeper
Greenwood -1 Moderator
Houston- 2 Moderators, ? Scorekeepers
Jasper- 1 Moderator
Kickapoo- 1 Moderator (If Needed), 1 Scorekeeper
Lakeland- 1 Moderator
Mountain Grove- 1 Moderator, 2 Scorekeepers
Parkview- 1 Moderator
Richland- 1 Moderator
Rogers Heritage- 1 Moderator, 1 Scorekeeper
Skyline- 1 Moderator/Scorekeeper if Needed
Strafford- 1 Moderator (If Needed)
Thayer- 1 Moderator
Last edited by Reklaw on Fri Nov 04, 2022 12:44 pm, edited 25 times in total.

KLINGINSMITHJ

Post by KLINGINSMITHJ »

School of the Osage would be interested in bringing 1 Team. We have a buzzer if it's needed.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

I have your entry from the form. I will hopefully get to emailing those on the list by the end of the week. First week has been a bit nuts.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

Tournament is currently awaiting MSHSAA Sanctioning. After that happens, we'll likely expand to 30. We currently have more interest, and may consider one more expansion after talks with admins about space available.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

This tournament has expanded to 36 teams.

If you are wanting to attend but haven't signed up, please fill out the form. I will consider one last expansion to 42 if there is sufficient interest.

Reklaw

Post by Reklaw »

Everyone,

Thank you for an awesome day! I know what feels crazy and hectic on my end probably went smoother than I believe, and it is in large part to everyone who was here getting things done. Thank you.

Most importantly, I was not needed to read any parts in The Crucible the rest of the nights. I still have a scratchy voice, but not nearly as bad as it was Saturday. Onto the real reason for the email:

Houston A defeated College Heights A for the Championship. Kickapoo A defeated Clever A for the 3rd place Honors.

There are a lot of thanks, but like watching the Oscars, please take a minute to listen (read) to everyone I need to thank, because without them this isn’t possible. The following did some kind of staffing at the tournament:

Jeffrey Hill from Moqba, Jason Pounds and his scorekeeper from Houston, Jennifer Grace from Greenwood, Ian Richardson and his Scorekeeper from Mountain Grove, Josh Malecki from Lakeland, Jean Miller, Gabe Forrest and Ashley Davis from College Heights, Angie Odom from Kickapoo, Amy Johnson from Skyline, Eldon Haun from Richland, Jennfier Jurgensmeyer from Greenfield, Matthew Carr from Galena ,Julie Cash from somewhere? (Sorry, I didn’t write that down), Dianna Lobdell from Ash Grove, Stacy Beller and Jennifer Anglen from Fair Grove, Nicholas Penton from Forsyth, Jaime Richey from Jasper, Adrick Miller from Thayer, Brad Kelly from Glendale, Gloria Gammel from Parkview, and Sonya Barker from Conway. Thanks to Mrs. Townsend for being “on-call” all day in case someone needed to go somewhere.

*momentary pause while I take a huge intake of air to keep saying names*.

From Clever, I’d like to thank Kyland Lake (former player and sibling), Lexi Losh, Gena Davis, Lauren Davis, Ema Carson (current players), Amyleigh Kozisek (a student who came just because she’s a great person!), Brad Clements (parent), Troy Jennings (parent), Susan Rauch (Parent), Molly Strickland (teacher), Bruce Bloxom (MS Coach),and the 3 Middle School players whose names I failed to get.

THANK YOU! I take the time to type this, because each of you deserve a thanks for what you do.

Jeffrey and Kyle Hill I owe a huge thanks for the in-depth document that is HILLSheets. I highly recommend these to anyone running any events. I also appreciate their unending advice and support for seeding teams, figuring out schedules, and just general Quizbowl experience. Today wouldn’t have happened without their help.

A Special Thanks to Quinn McGarry and our Math Team for running a stellar Concession stand that fed everyone in an hour so we could continue after lunch. To have finished round 10 by 4:45, and round 11 by 5:30 is phenomenal. Especially as there is no faster way to really give places to everyone with this many teams in attendance.

And while I’m at it, a special thanks to Quinn McGarry for assisting all day and throughout the planning. I know my names are on all the emails, but an event of this magnitude isn’t doable without help, and he does a phenomenal job with everything. He did just as much behind the scenes as I did.

Stats are available HERE. The live scorecard should stay up for a while, so if anything seems off please let me know.