Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

WUHSAC XXV (02/18/2023)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Mickey0R0urke

WUHSAC XXV (02/18/2023)

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

The Washington University Quiz Bowl team is excited to announce the twenty-fifth annual WUHSAC, to be held at Washington University in St. Louis on Saturday, February 18th, 2023.

My name is Jacob O’Rourke, and I'll serve as co-tournament director for this year's tournament with WUSTL team president Mia Bloss. This tournament will be a mirror of the DART III set. We are looking forward to a tournament that will celebrate the awesome teams and students playing in the event as well as our two decades of hosting the best and brightest of Missouri and nearby states!

COVID policies will be announced closer to the tournament date, but you can expect them to be similar to the policies of the university.

To sign your team up for WUHSAC XXV, please fill out this registration form. Teams will be signed up on a first-come, first-served basis. The field will be updated online at moquizbowl.com and hsquizbowl.org as registrations are received. If the field fills up before you can sign up, please allow us to waitlist you as well; in such a large field, there is an appreciable chance that one or more teams will cancel. I will be setting the initial cap at 48 teams, with the possibility that we will expand depending on staffing constraints.

WUHSAC's general rules will be similar to last year.

Rules
•20 tossups and bonuses per game
•no computational math
•20 point powers
•NO bouncebacks on bonuses.
•We will be using negs.

Format
•48-team field with the possibility that this might expand
•Bracketed round robin prelims
•Re-bracketed round robin playoffs

Fees for the tournament will be as follows:
•$10 per school plus $65 per team
•-$10 per buzzer system
•-$15 per experienced staff volunteer

Information regarding the set distribution for DART III can be found at this link: https://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=26197

I'd like to ask everyone interested in providing staff to let me know the name of the staffer as soon as possible and if that person would rather scorekeep or is good to read. Keeping track of staff for a tournament of this size will be almost as big a deal as keeping track of the field in preparation for the event. Thank you very much for your help!

As in previous years, we expect that some number of top-finishing teams at WUHSAC XXV will be invited to this year's PACE National Scholastics Championship. I will be updating the post when I find out the date and location. We hope WUHSAC will provide a useful opportunity for teams and staffers to visit and become familiar with a format similar to that of NSC beforehand (albeit NSC uses bouncebacks). A link to the 2023 NSC can be found here (to be updated once the NSC announcement for 2023 is posted):

In addition there will be a separate award for the top small school at the event, modifying slightly the rule used at the PACE NSC. There will also be an award if 4 or more teams qualify for the top JV team per the PACE definition. The definitions to qualify for each award are below:

"A JV team consists of players in 10th grade or below…”

A “small school” is a school with fewer than 600 students in 10th through 12th grades that is a public school and has a non-selective admission policy (non-selective is not the same as non-magnet; schools from systems where every school is a specialized center and students may choose to attend any are eligible)."

If you have any further questions, please e-mail me or reply here. We look forward to you all attending WUHSAC XXV!

Sincerely,

Jacob O’Rourke
Co-Tournament Director, WUHSAC XXV
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Tue Sep 13, 2022 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mickey0R0urke

Re: WUHSAC XXV (02/18/2023)

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Field (47/48):
-Glendale [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Sullivan [2 teams, 2 buzzers, 1 staffer]
-Parkway North [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Francis Howell [2 teams, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Mexico [2 teams, 0 buzzers, 1 staffer]
-Warrenton [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Rockhurst [2 teams, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Priory [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Hallsville [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Eldon [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Lindbergh [2 teams, 2 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Kickapoo [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Centralia [2 teams, 2 buzzers, 2 staffers]
-Fair Grove [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Calvary Lutheran [1 team, 0 buzzers, 1 staffer]
-Clayton [1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer]
-Hillcrest [2 teams, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-College Heights Christian [2 teams, 1 buzzer, 2 staffers]
-Savannah [1 team, 0 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Farmington [3 teams, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Washington [3 teams, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer]
-Parkway West [2 teams, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer]
-CIS [2 teams, 2 buzzers, 1 staffer]
-Ladue [3 teams, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer]
-Bayless [2 teams, 2 buzzers, 0 staffers]
-Notre Dame (Cape Girardeau) [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Parkway Central [1 team, 0 buzzers, 1 staffer]
-Montgomery County [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-Springfield Central [1 team, 1 buzzer, 0 staffers]
-CBC [1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 staffer]

Waitlist:
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:42 am, edited 38 times in total.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

The initial 48 team cap has been reached, and we've started a waitlist! Please continue to register for the waitlist, as we're willing to expand based on the number of teams we have and the staff numbers we get.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

WUHSAC has been granted Platinum Qualification Status by PACE, which means that the top 25% of our final field will qualify for the 2023 NSC, which will be on June 10-11 in Rosemont, IL.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

For any of our out-of-state friends who are interested in attending: please have the registration form filled out (or have sent me an email saying you are interested in attending) by January 18th, which is when I am submitting all of the information for MSHSAA to sanction WUHSAC.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

WUHSAC has been submitted for MSHSAA Sanctioning.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

There are 3 spots left in the field, in case anyone is looking for a tournament at the last minute!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

For anyone who wants to keep track of games throughout the day, a link to the scoreboard is available here.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Full stats from today can be found here.

Congratulations to our champions, Fair Grove!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

At the end of round 10, Fair Grove finished the superplayoffs with a 3-0 record, winning WUHSAC XXV. With a 3-way tie at 1-2 for 2nd-4th, two of the three teams decided to let statistics from the superplayoffs determine the trophy spots; therefore, Parkway West A finished in second, Mexico A finished in third, and Lindbergh A finished in fourth.

I cannot thank all of the teams that attended this year's WUHSAC enough, especially after we decided to change the venue due to difficulties with room reservations.

Further thanks are also due to all of the incredible people who staffed this tournament for me. Special thanks goes to Ken Mitchell, Jamie Doenges, Audrey Brandon, Greta Thrasher, Dargan Ware, Danielle Webb, Jon Pinyan, Alex Jeffrey, Anna Csiki-Fejer, Vedul Palavajjhala, David Kanon, Lance Finney, Brian Hight, Lori Hattendorf, Jeremy Cummings, Jonah Schwartz, Christina Whelehon, Sophie Lyman, Kevin Stockman, Luke Fleck, Garrett Blum, Ben Krasnoff, Cheryl Phair, Jonathan Phair, Ganon Evans, Ethan Smith, Andrew Darr, Logan Mathis, Jean Miller, Gabe Forrest, Lisa McClary, Sydney Moeller, Patrick Troy, Kaitlin Troy, Adam Bergeron, Dan Kelty, Jason Loy, Caroline Doerhoff, Mike Tolles, Ben Nims, Ginger Luetkemeyer, Henry Lytle, David Dennis, Gerry Tansey, Julie Burchett, Jason Xu, Dale Schenewerk, Addison Workman, Paul Nelson, and especially our control room staff: Jeffrey Hill, Charles Hang, Samay Math, Conner Yamnitz, Alex Fang and Don Ung. An extra special-thanks goes to my co-director, WUSTL Team President Mia Bloss, for her help with check-in and keeping me sane for the past few weeks.

Take care, everybody, for the rest of the season, and I look forward to seeing you all down the road.