Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

MOQBA NASAT Workshop (12/17/2022)

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Mickey0R0urke

MOQBA NASAT Workshop (12/17/2022)

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Hello friends,

The Missouri Quizbowl Alliance is pleased to announce we will host a workshop for determining which players will represent Missouri at the 2023 National All-Star Academic Tournament. (NASAT)

The workshop will be hosted on December 17th, 2022, at Columbia Independent Schools. CIS' address is 1801 N Stadium Boulevard, Columbia, MO, 65201.

In order to register to attend the workshop, please fill out this form. The current plan for the day is to hold single-subject "shootouts" in the morning and place everyone into teams for scrimmages in the afternoon. As this is an individual (and not a team-based) event, this does not count towards any individual or team MSHSAA event count for the year.

Attendance at the workshop is not mandatory to be considered for the NASAT team, and MOQBA will use tournaments from throughout the season, along with this workshop, to make the final decision on team membership. The event allows members of MOQBA, who might never get to see various players in action, a chance to do so. It also allows our coaches to gather contact info.

Difficulty
The level of the questions at NASAT is comparable to regular collegiate difficulty, harder than either NAQT or PACE nationals. NASAT is often written to feature interesting and novel approaches to clues and topics, and the intellectually curious player should find a lot to enjoy in the set.

Travel and Expenses
The actual NASAT tournament will be played online in June, but we think it would be beneficial for teams to participate as close to “all in the same room” as possible. Once the teams have been decided, we will see how logistically possible it will be to have each team “all in one room.” We find this to be strategically advantageous for our Missouri competitors in virtual tournaments. Our goal is that students do not incur too much, if any, personal and travel expenses associated with participating in the NASAT tournament. We will have more information when we know who has been selected later this school year.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask them, whether via this thread or by email (jacob.orourke at moqba.org).

See you all on December 17th!

Mickey0R0urke

Re: MOQBA NASAT Workshop (12/17/2022)

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Number of players registered for the workshop:

Last Updated: December 13th
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Tue Dec 13, 2022 11:46 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

The deadline to sign up and be able to play everything you select is on Thursday, December 15th. You can still register on December 16th, but we cannot guarantee that you get all of the sessions that you select.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

A few things I've gotten various questions about, that I believe should also be posted on here, just in case:

Check-in on the 17th will go from 8 AM to 8:45 AM. We plan to start the first shootout session at 9 AM.

Coaches or any other chaperones are also welcome to join the pizza order if they would like. Just let me know at check-in or send me an email and bring along $10 to join the order.

Players can expect to get a registration email from me during this week.

See you all on the 17th!