Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Clever Novice/MS- 2/18

Tournament announcements, results, and discussion about specific tournaments.
Reklaw

Clever Novice/MS- 2/18

Post by Reklaw »

Coaches,

Clever HS is proud to announce we will be hosting the first ever Clever Novice and Spring Middle School tournaments on Saturday, February 18th. This is 2 separate tournaments (one for Novice teams, and one for Middle School teams). The tournaments will be in the 20 Tossup/20 Bonus format and we will be utilizing Powers for early buzzing. We will NOT be using bouncebacks on bonus questions or negative points for wrong answers (negs). Both events will be held at Clever High School.

Our question set will be the Solon Adjacent Novice Difficulty Set (SANDS). This set was used at Lakeland on 11/19, and will be used at Lindbergh on 1/21. For a nationwide mirror list and information on the set, please check out their post on the hsquizbowl. Please double check no other tournament you attend is using this set before entering.

We are currently capping the novice field at 18 teams and the MS field at 12 teams. The fields can expand if there is more interest and more importantly staff, however we will be limited in space in the building.

For both tournaments, players must be registered on your MSHSAA rosters.

For the Novice tournament, all Freshmen and Sophomore players (regardless of placement on your regular teams) are eligible to play. No Juniors or Seniors may play. The goal is that your younger students get an idea of who will be their competition in the next few years of competition.

For the MS tournament, all 7th and 8th graders are eligible to play. 6th graders are allowed if your school allows 6th graders to participate and are on your MSHSAA rosters.

Assuming both tournaments fill, they will be scheduled with a preliminary morning round, followed by a rebracketing into playoffs and consolation. All teams are currently planned to play 8 games, with a minimum of 7 games played on the day.

Prices are:
- $75 for the first team from a school in a division, $70 for each additional team from a school within that division.
- Fully functional buzzer systems are a $5 discount (must work for 8 players, limit 2 discounts per team). Preference given to those whose systems require the moderator to reset buzzers.
- Providing an experienced moderator (reader) is a $15 discount. Please let us know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse moderators .
- Providing an experienced Scorekeeper is a $10 discount. Please let me know about these well in advance. We reserve the right to refuse scorekeepers.
- Teams traveling over 100 miles (one way per Google Maps) will receive a $5 discount.
-$55 minimum per team.
-All teams will be billed after the event when we confirm the staffing/equipment brought by all teams.

Matches will begin at 9:00 AM, and there will be a lunch break around 12:00-12:30 PM. We will have a concession stand. I will have more information later. We hope to be done no later than 5:00PM (Last time we hosted in person, we finished at 3:45).

Spots will be filled on a first come/first served basis. Rather than emailing me, please use this form to register. In an effort to get as many schools involved as we can, teams will be allowed 2 per division with all additional teams being put on the waiting list. “C” teams (and other letters) will be added to the lineup 2 weeks before the event.

Novice Registration Form

Middle School Registration Form

Please understand that, until I confirm with you via email, your team(s) are not registered. I will create a waiting list if this tournament fills up. Those who can provide experienced staffers are likely to gain priority over those just bringing teams on the waiting list.

I plan on awarding trophy/plaques to the top teams in each division, and individual medals for the top 10 scorers of prelim rounds. Currently, this is scheduled at the High School off of Mo-14. Feel free to email me with any questions at walkers@cleverbluejays.org.

On a side note, if you are hosting a tournament we would gladly like information as we are looking to fill our season as well. If you are considering hosting, please feel free to ask me questions. If I don’t know the answer I have contacts who will.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Re: Clever Novice/MS- 2/18

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

It should be pointed out that MYST at Moberly Middle School on February 11th is also using SANDS.

Separate listings of middle school and high school tournaments using SANDS are available on HSQuizbowl.org.

Reklaw

Re: Clever Novice/MS- 2/18

Post by Reklaw »

Current Fields

NOVICE (14 teams)

Clever-2
Diamond
Forsyth
Gainesville
Greenfield
Greenwood
Houston