Our tournament will consist of a minimum of eight games for all teams in a modified NAQT/national format:
- Each game shall consist of two halves of ten tossups each, with each correct tossup followed by a three-part bonus.
- Correct tossup answers are ten points each, with an additional five-point “power” awarded for providing a correct answer before a predetermined point. We will not assess a penalty for interrupting the moderator during the tossup with an incorrect answer. Tossups are five seconds each. There is no math computation.
- The team that receives the bonus will have five seconds to answer each part. The moderator will prompt after four seconds. Unless otherwise specified in a bonus set, each bonus part shall be ten points each.
- In the event a game is tied after regulation, additional tossups shall be read until the next change in score.
- Each team shall have one 30 second timeout per game. Substitutions, score checks, and team conferences may occur at the half, prior to overtime, or during any timeout called by either team.
- Team rosters shall be limited to seven players. Teams may play with fewer than four players, but should have at least two. Rosters shall be submitted in advance and finalized at registration the morning of the tournament. Players may not change teams during the tournament.
This tournament is using the QUAOAR set. Details about the set are available at https://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=27053. It is your responsibility to ensure that you have not signed up for or already competed in another tournament using this set, and do not plan to sign up for any other tournament using this set. QUAOAR is also being used for high school novice tournaments. Additionally, we are currently limiting the field to 24 teams; this may expand depending on staff availability. Additional teams will be placed on a waitlist and contacted should an opening occur.
Rosters are limited to 6th, 7th, and 8th graders. Per a change in MSHSAA by-laws, 9th graders are required to compete on their corresponding high school team. If you wish to have 6th graders participate you will need to confirm with your district Activities Director that you are registered with MSHSAA for that grade level; otherwise you will be limited to 7th and 8th grade only.
We will again host our Outstate Missouri Academic Rendezvous on April 6th. Programs whose middle school teams play in MYST will be able to apply a $10 discount to their OMAR registration fee.
Teams will play five morning rounds, break for lunch, then return for at least three afternoon games. This setup is subject to change, depending on the number of teams signed up. We plan to start the team meeting in our gym at 8:30 a.m., with the first round set for 8:50 a.m. and afternoon rounds slated to begin at 1:30 p.m. We anticipate the last game ending around 4 p.m.
Fee structure is as follows, per school:
- Each team: $65
- Discount for traveling more than 100 miles each way (determined by Google Maps): $10
- Discount for providing a working buzzer set: $5
- Discount for providing a competent scorekeeper: $10
- Discount for providing a competent moderator: $15
Moberly Middle School is located at 920 Shepherd Brothers Blvd. MMS is best accessed by taking Highway 63 to the Route M (Middle Grove) exit, then turning west into town about a half mile before turning right onto Gratz Brown Road. Proceed past the football field to the stop sign. Turn left and the middle school will be on your left. Most lunch options will be on North Morley/Business 63.
The tournament is under the direction of Moberly High School Coach Kathy Brandon and Moberly Middle School Coach Richelle Childs. We anticipate receiving certification and assistance from the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, an organization dedicated to promoting quality scholar bowl tournaments around the state. Participants will be expected to abide by the Honor Pledge and Section I (Ethics and Conduct) promulgated by the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence (PACE).
To register for this tournament, please visit https://tinyurl.com/MYST2024 or https://forms.gle/fg8hJtkMQFDxrBne7. Questions concerning the tournament may be directed to Kathy Brandon at KathyBrandon@moberlyspartans.org. Please include “2024 MYST” in the subject line.
We look forward to seeing you at the 2024 MYST on February 10th.