Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Districts (Class 4 District 8)

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
DIoanis

Post by DIoanis »

(This is from my post from the Lexington topic) Kearney(truman is 1-1 vs. Kearney and our records vs other schools over the year) will not be trouble like at lexington, we have played them before and with michael playing(and if were more awake, I mean the guy on the team was shooting hoops before the rounds so he had a fast heartbeat or something. He was on the ball in the first round. Helias' teams were shooting hoops too for that matter). We played Platte County twice and...well there program has not been up to par the past few years (I think we played them twice, once at truman's sKnowbowl and at NKC's NAQT, going 2-0). Park Hill we have play twice(1-2, the one win at quads, but they beat us in quad finals and placed ahead of us at maple woods, but again maple woods doesn't count so 1-1). Played Park Hill South and Oak Park(both 1-0) in quads, and beat both. Liberty, we(truman) placed ahead of at maple woods (which really was a fluke,) saw NKC at maple woods but not anywhere eles. And Excelsior Springs which we beat at Lexington soundly, so they are not going to be any work come districts. We did play Fort Osage at LSN early on in the season and I think it came down to the last question when we played. Fort is having a good year compaired to other years in of their program. We have not played William Chrisman or Winnetonka but...well I sure you all know how they are

Franklly, I think the top 4 in the district will be (in no order mind you) Truman, Park Hill, Liberty, and NKC. I would guess NKC would win overall and with the other 3 school could finish up anywhere from 2-4 place. 2 of those 4 teams could hit early and knock the other one out, who knows.....

NKCtrashman

Post by NKCtrashman »

I think Liberty is quite a bit better than Park Hill and Truman.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Yeah, I mean, Liberty not making the final would be a pretty big upset if it came to pretty much anyone else in our district.

hugatree1715

Post by hugatree1715 »

But some odd things have happened in our district in the past. For example, last year, Truman had a bye, crushed Park Hill South, and lost by a few points to another team. Yet, Park Hill South played two cake teams later in the day. It ended up that PHS and Truman went on to the afternoon. I would venture to say that neither team would have deserved to play in the finals, but by some fluke, it could have been a Liberty-NKC match in the semifinals, leading to the winner there taking on a comparatively easier team. I'm not saying that's going to happen this year, but it is quite possible.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

The mere fact that teams are getting byes in perhaps the toughest district in the Midwest is screwed up in of itself. YOU HEAR THAT, PROGRAMS THAT GOT OUT OF THE KITCHEN? WITHSTAND THE HEAT ALREADY!

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

perhaps the toughest district in the Midwest
Pardon?

hugatree1715

Post by hugatree1715 »

The mere fact that teams are getting byes in perhaps the toughest district in the Midwest is screwed up in of itself.
If you have a proposition for integrating a system where an odd number of teams are all playing simultaneously, I recommend that you expressly speak to MSHSAA so we can get this rectified.

LibertyBowler09

Post by LibertyBowler09 »

hugatree1715 wrote: I recommend that you expressly speak to MSHSAA so we can get this rectified.
Like MSHSAA would do anything about it.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

hugatree1715 wrote:
The mere fact that teams are getting byes in perhaps the toughest district in the Midwest is screwed up in of itself.
If you have a proposition for integrating a system where an odd number of teams are all playing simultaneously, I recommend that you expressly speak to MSHSAA so we can get this rectified.
It's called ending the excruciatingly interminable length of the games and doing a full round robin (or a partial, but equal round robin if you have too many teams). You know, the things we do in college every weekend, instead of this luck of the prelim draw bull that MSHSAA clings to like a life preserver.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

scphilli wrote:
hugatree1715 wrote:
It's called ending the excruciatingly interminable length of the games and doing a full round robin (or a partial, but equal round robin if you have too many teams). You know, the things we do in college every weekend, instead of this luck of the prelim draw bull that MSHSAA clings to like a life preserver.
Thank you. I can't express how truly hollow it feels to "win" the district and state championships when you play one final and don't have to have the best record to win. Fortunately there is a better run state tournament out there (NAQT state, people should think about it next year) that does do this and uses a format that allows for many, many more games to be played by each team. I guess if NAQT state picks up over the next few years, I won't be so concerned about how poorly run the MSHSAA state championships are.

KentB

Post by KentB »

ashkenaziCD wrote:
scphilli wrote:
hugatree1715 wrote:
Thank you. I can't express how truly hollow it feels to "win" the district and state championships when you play one final and don't have to have the best record to win. Fortunately there is a better run state tournament out there (NAQT state, people should think about it next year) that does do this and uses a format that allows for many, many more games to be played by each team. I guess if NAQT state picks up over the next few years, I won't be so concerned about how poorly run the MSHSAA state championships are.
QFT

AShoaib

Post by AShoaib »

I think Liberty is quite a bit better than Park Hill and Truman.
QFT. The MST scores for Truman were rather disappointing.

redliberte

Post by redliberte »

in order:
NKC
Liberty
Park Hill or Truman, depending on how the asinine prelim draw system works out.

Awehrman

Post by Awehrman »

Out of curiosity, when was the last time that Liberty has not made the final match of Districts? I'm pretty sure that NKC did not make the top two several times between 2000 and 2006. Liberty has been incredibly consistent, it seems to me. I know that when Savannah was in that district, the final match was often between NKC and Savannah (talk about unbalanced districts!), but since then Liberty has been the team to beat.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Liberty won districts from 2001 (the first time Savannah was in class 3) to 2006, and made the finals in 2007.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

ashkenaziCD wrote: Liberty won districts from 2001 (the first time Savannah was in class 3) to 2006, and made the finals in 2007.
Liberty also made the final in 2000, losing to Savannah. They were more than a bit ticked about that iirc.

hugatree1715

Post by hugatree1715 »

Just to clarify (I was a little ambiguous): this was an attack on MSHSAA's system of byes and teams getting screwed, not an attack on any poster. Just getting that out there.
QFT. The MST scores for Truman were rather disappointing.
Is this the Missouri S&T tournament (Rolla) that you are speaking of? I admit that we did poorly, but it was over our district music contest, so we were missing two starters (including myself). Oh well, I think we will be good next year (since our varsity is all juniors).

DIoanis

Post by DIoanis »

Yes, Rolla was a one time thing i would have to say in terms of how we played. I mean 2 of our 4 main members were out for music weekend, and it could have been 3 of the 4 if I hadn't had talked my way out of it with my band teacher. A(Also we didn't get to the hotel until close to midnight because of our not so bright coach getting lost south of Jeff City on the country roads, and we kinda had a long 2 1/2 dinner in coulumbia lol) It was almost as if it was our "B" team was playing, but really the truman kids who played that weekend (not me and andy mind you) play, but never ring in. In the case of our only senior he did not ring in once in Rolla, I mean the guy didn't even try. Districts will be better for us since the main core of our team will be playing. I think that we have 3 people not playing at districts because of ACT, but michael, andy, sarah and I will be playing.

Awehrman

Post by Awehrman »

Liberty won districts from 2001 (the first time Savannah was in class 3) to 2006, and made the finals in 2007. 

Liberty also made the final in 2000, losing to Savannah. They were more than a bit ticked about that iirc.
Yeah, this was pretty much what I was thinking above. Liberty lost in the district finals to my NKC teams in 1998 and 1999, I think. I'm also pretty sure that in 1997, we beat Savannah in the district finals. I guess that means that Liberty has been in the final match ten years straight, and will likely make it an 11th this year, if things shape up the way most people seem to think they will. In the most difficult district in the state year in and year out, that's a tremendous run.

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

I think three of Liberty's varsity players will be gone for districts, but our three consistent starters will be there.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Awehrman wrote:

Yeah, this was pretty much what I was thinking above. Liberty lost in the district finals to my NKC teams in 1998 and 1999, I think. I'm also pretty sure that in 1997, we beat Savannah in the district finals. I guess that means that Liberty has been in the final match ten years straight, and will likely make it an 11th this year, if things shape up the way most people seem to think they will. In the most difficult district in the state year in and year out, that's a tremendous run.
Yeah, especially when you consider that they switched coaches midstream. So many good programs have up and died when that happened I've lost count.