Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

College Movement

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charlie Dees

College Movement

Post by Charlie Dees »

Inevitably it's hitting that time of year when some seniors have decided what college they will be attending. If you have had that happen for you, please post here, and many college teams will be interested to know if you are planning on continuing to participate in collegiate quizbowl. I'm no moderator, but I would aesthetically suggest that those of you who are undecided refrain from cluttering up the thread with lists of schools that accepted you, since rarely any good comes of that. Post away.

DeckardCain

Re: College Movement

Post by DeckardCain »

I'm aware that this thread isn't really directed at people like me, but I'll post anyway: I'm going to be at S&T for one more year, but will probably be scaling back my involvement even further.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Washington University in St. Louis, Class of 2014
School of Engineering (not sure exactly which major, possibly mechanical or chemical)
[Early Decision for the win, made my life much easier]

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Go chemical. Just not BME. Bunch of losers.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

FishyFreshman wrote:Go chemical. Just not BME. Bunch of losers.
My brother does BME...
I'm really not sure. BME was an option for me as well, but I'm still looking into the different branches...

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

Lol. BME students just get really annoying here. There are tons of them and they seem to think they're more legit than chemE's or something.

PCreedon

Post by PCreedon »

I'll be attending the University of Tulsa for close to full tuition, if not a full ride (including room and board). Possible majors include but are not limited to Russian Studies, Film Studies, Psychology, and Linguistics.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Off topic, but only slightly so:

Anybody know when I need to/by when it would be advisable to choose my major?
(Specifically for WashU engineering if anyone has experience with that. And yes, I know I should do it ASAP, but that doesn't really help me right now)

FishyFreshman

Post by FishyFreshman »

If it's chem E or BME I feel like there are a lot of required classes so you need to have an idea pretty early. I'm not in the engineering school so I couldn't say for sure. I'll ask someone today.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

dividebyzero wrote:Off topic, but only slightly so:

Anybody know when I need to/by when it would be advisable to choose my major?
(Specifically for WashU engineering if anyone has experience with that. And yes, I know I should do it ASAP, but that doesn't really help me right now)
I'm an EE, so I'm not quite whom you should be asking, but as far as I can tell, you're fairly safe not deciding at least until the end of your freshman year. In my case, at least, I've been largely taking core requirements (Calculus, Physics) and electives*. The only course which is required for my degree that I've taken this year is Computer Science I, and that's a course taken by quite a few freshmen (not just those in computer or electrically related fields). Thus, assuming your major is anything like mine, it shouldn't be difficult to take the relatively few courses in your major which are recommended for freshman year, while still keeping your options open.

*For me, I've also had electives like Introduction to Electrical Engineering & Introduction to Robotics which are beneficial to take freshman year, but remain open to people from all fields and which won't take up too much of your time (being 1 credit each), thus allowing you to remain flexible.

Also, a casual perusal of the Chemical (http://eece.wustl.edu/undergraduateprog ... ering.aspx) and Mechanical (http://mase.wustl.edu/undergraduateprog ... ering.aspx) Engineering programs don't seem to indicate that there are very many courses absolutely required for freshmen in those majors.

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

Cool, thanks.
I definitely want to wait until at least the end of the school year (since we're doing a lot of electricity and whatnot in physics, so I can get a feel for whether or not I like it as much as mechanics, light, sound, etc.) or even possibly until I take some classes in college/talk to more people in person.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

PCreedon wrote:I'll be attending the University of Tulsa for close to full tuition, if not a full ride (including room and board). Possible majors include but are not limited to Russian Studies, Film Studies, Psychology, and Linguistics.
They offer Russian Studies at Tulsa? Actually, Tulsa's an oil town, so I can see that.

ZhangC1459

Post by ZhangC1459 »

I will actually be at Mizzou for the first two years, then i'll try to transfer to WASHU. Stupid purdue didn't accept me (becuase i'm stupid too! yay! Also, typonese and I'm too lazy to fix it) and Indiana's tuition is way too high.

Keith Moon

Post by Keith Moon »

you put it on your sig?? Sigh...

I will probably end up at Truman for a couple years at least, but maybe not.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Yay Mizzou. We need teammates.

KentB

Post by KentB »

I will be at Truman for one more year finishing my Masters in Education....but as with this year, my participation in quiz bowl will be limited.

Hopefully I can at least play a bit more next year but I will be doing my teaching internship in the Fall....Spring might be a little better and I might actually make it to SCT and such next time.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

As I've mentioned to some of you, I'm currently working on applications for library science programs at Mizzou and Kent State in Ohio. (I'm a potential Golden Flasher! :lol:) Not sure if I can get in for the fall, but we'll see. Either way, when I go back to school, I'd like to return to actual quizbowl play on some level. Problem is, I haven't played regularly in eight years, so I fear I'm a tad rusty. :(

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

I'm sticking around here at Mizzou. Fall semester probably won't see me playing due to Marching Mizzou, but next spring I'll be fairly active again.

PCreedon

Post by PCreedon »

PenforPrez wrote:
PCreedon wrote:I'll be attending the University of Tulsa for close to full tuition, if not a full ride (including room and board). Possible majors include but are not limited to Russian Studies, Film Studies, Psychology, and Linguistics.
They offer Russian Studies at Tulsa? Actually, Tulsa's an oil town, so I can see that.
Yeah, surprisingly enough. It has famous writer/actor/director/critic/professional-Soviet-dissenter Yevgenii Tushenkov as a lecturer on European film.

The department is interdisciplinary, so I think it might have a business base to it, as well.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Made a campus visit to Kent State Wednesday on my way back from Washington. I really liked it there. Had to endure a short sales pitch from a department bureaucrat, but they seemed to like me. :) Got to visit the May 4 Memorial while I was there. I need to visit the library science people at Mizzou at some point.

Keith Moon

Post by Keith Moon »

Ah, that reminds me, I will be attending Truman State next fall.

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Got a letter today. . . .

I have been accepted into the library science program at Kent State. :D I need to apply to Mizzou (their deadline is May 1) and get their decision. I have not made up my mind one way or the other yet.

Machina

Post by Machina »

Congrats Paul!!!! :D A fellow librarian!!

dividebyzero

Post by dividebyzero »

I didn't really feel like starting a new thread, so I figured I'd just bring this one back up again.
As Charlie said up top [last year], this is a good place to put what college you've decided to attend next year, if you'd like to.

octo

Post by octo »

Most people already know this, but I'll be attending WUSTL in the fall.

cchval

Post by cchval »

Notre Dame

WilliamofOrange

Post by WilliamofOrange »

University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign :D

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

Stanford.
and to reference Charlie's first post made over a year ago, I do intend to play college quiz bowl. should be fun!

kukuku

Post by kukuku »

Yale probably. Although I may join Ikshu at Stanford. Will try collegiate quiz bowl and see how it goes.

christino

Post by christino »

Yale has the best Ivy League quizbowl program, according to Charlie.

dtaylor

Post by dtaylor »

WilliamofOrange wrote:University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign :D
I dig this. I take it you're going into engineering?

WilliamofOrange

Post by WilliamofOrange »

dtaylor wrote:
WilliamofOrange wrote:University of Illinois @ Urbana-Champaign :D
I dig this. I take it you're going into engineering?
Mathematics, actually.

But I'm totally into the idea of engineering, and it's one of the reasons I chose UIUC; in case engineering turns out to be as awesome as it appears, I have a great school with which to take advantage of that.

Machina

Post by Machina »

I will be attending Northwestern University in the fall and playing quiz bowl there as well! Can't wait for the NSC ahahaha

Awehrman

Post by Awehrman »

I will be attending Northwestern University in the fall and playing quiz bowl there as well! Can't wait for the NSC ahahaha
That's great! NU's quizbowl team has been much improved this year thanks in large part to Dan Donohue. You might want to contact him if you haven't already. I haven't had anything to do with the team for the past couple years, but could probably help if you had questions about the university or Evanston in general.

Not that it impacts MO quizbowl much, but since I still have quite a few friends and acquaintances on the board, I am moving to Marietta, OH, in a few months where I will be starting as an assistant professor of American history at Marietta College.

PHSouth

Post by PHSouth »

I'll be attending KU next year. I'll be studying music education and music composition!