Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

woo districts/sectionals

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Charlie Dees

woo districts/sectionals

Post by Charlie Dees »

So we're finally counting down to the day we've all been waiting for, the day we goad Jason Mueller into making his fantasy quizbowl themed predictive post outlining his game-by game format of a complete round robin among every school in each MSHSAA class. In honor of that, and to perhaps prod it along, let's talk about districts.

As a reminder, these have 1st and 3rd quarter one-line tossups, then 2nd and 4th quarter are a butchered A-set with more math and 2-part bonuses. Since it's NAQT, this stuff will statistically be infinitely easier than a lot of the other nonsense in the past, so while it may be less than enjoyable for serious teams I will still be amused to see how many teams can break 700, and if Ladue can hit 800 against some inactive team.

Here are my class 4 district predictions:
1: Cape Central (because when have they not won?)
2: Oakville
3: Eureka
4: Ladue over Clayton
5: Parkway West (if they play their real A team lineup and not whatever that "A team" is that they've been bringing to tournaments other than Tiger Bowl)
6: uh...Francis Howell Central? Do any of these teams play very much?
7: ditto, except with Francis Howell instead. Will this district even have 4 teams show up?
8: Go Rock Bridge, probably over Helias
9: Rolla, I guess. Does anybody else here even play anymore?
10: This is even worse. Maybe...Webb City?
11: Kickapoo is my only guess, just because I've not heard anything else from Nixa or other local teams there.
12: Yeesh. Lee's Summit West
13: Probably Lee's Summit North
14: Please be NKC over Truman
15: Liberty
16: Park Hill South

For Sectionals, I'll pick Oakville over Cape (more out of interest in rooting for Oakville than knowing anything about Cape), Ladue over Eureka, Parkway West, Rock Bridge, Rolla, Kickapoo, NKC, then maybe Park Hill South.

In class 3, I expect Savannah to win their district and Priory to win their district, and Centralia to win their district, and for Savannah and Priory to go to the state final.

Classes 2 and 1 are all mysteries to me as far as what could happen.

More importantly, what will be the answer to the driver's ed question?

christino

Re: woo districts/sectionals

Post by christino »

Probably "Reverse" :mrgreen:

octo

Post by octo »

oakville over cape, ladue over eureka, parkway west, rock bridge, rolla, i have no clue, truman, phs over liberty

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

I was just about to post a lengthy prediction of class three (though I can only speak to eight districts) when I asked myself, am I allowed to do this? Especially after I got in trouble for stuff I said last season? Why risk it?

I will predict that the answer to the driver's ed question will be...power steering.

Does anybody know anything about Fulton? I know they are statistically very good, but I've never seen them in action.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Dylan Randolph is good. He won the History Bee at Rock Bridge up against some strong competition.

bruins4life

Post by bruins4life »

sam, don't sell yourself short. i think jc has a legit shot. you're the team i'm worried about the most.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

I will voice my support for Pilot Grove to win its district in class 1 and hopefully more. We've played them five times this year, they're very good, and after getting to know them during the delay at the Marshall tournament, they're a great bunch of kids.

bruins4life

Post by bruins4life »

I'm going carbureator for the driver's ed question, btw

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

bruins4life wrote:I'm going carbureator for the driver's ed question, btw
no lie, that was my second guess

octo

Post by octo »

Helias is better on speedchecks than me, I'm too slow to buzz to do very well on these silly questions.

qb230

Post by qb230 »

Class 2 District Picks:

1- South Pemiscot
2- Thayer
3- Saxony Lutheran
4- Richland
5- Elsberry??????
6- Schuyler County?????
7- Salisbury????
8- South Callaway
9- Fordland
10- Purdy
11- College Heights Christian
12- Windsor????
13- Barstow
14- St. Paul Lutheran
15- Plattsburg
16- Gallatin

Sectionals is a big uncertainty to me.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

qb230 wrote: 8- South Callaway
Thanks for the confidence, but Eugene has beaten SC twice this year already on MSHSAA-style questions. While there's always a chance, I think Eugene's gonna come out on top of this one. I have no idea what other teams in the district look like, so those wild cards are always potential champions too.

qb230

Post by qb230 »

Thanks for the confidence, but Eugene has beaten SC twice this year already on MSHSAA-style questions. While there's always a chance, I think Eugene's gonna come out on top of this one. I have no idea what other teams in the district look like, so those wild cards are always potential champions too.
I didn't know much about that district, but I went on MSHSAA website and saw that Eugene did fairly well this season. Taking that you used to play for SC? Good luck to your team today.

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

qb230 wrote:6- Schuyler County?????
I have full confidence that South Shelby will win this district, if they play as well as I know they can. Their tournament performance this year hasn't been stellar (bad draws, maybe?), but they were 8-1 in our conference (only we beat them), and they soundly beat Brookfield, to whom Schuyler County lost. I think the Clarence Cannon Conference is going to send at least two teams to sectionals (spread over class 2 & 3), but I wouldn't be overly surprised to see four district winners out of the CCC.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

My prediction: Questions will be substantially better than QG, and substantially worse than anything else I have played this year.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

I'm headed up to Hallsville for some Class 3 action.

octo

Post by octo »

Mewto55555 wrote:My prediction: Questions will be substantially better than QG, and substantially worse than anything else I have played this year.
a winner is you

CentraliaCoach

Post by CentraliaCoach »

CentraliaCoach wrote:I think the Clarence Cannon Conference is going to send at least two teams to sectionals (spread over class 2 & 3), but I wouldn't be overly surprised to see four district winners out of the CCC.
South Shelby won, Clark County won, and Centralia won. Brookfield lost 270-280 in the district finals, so they almost made it four.

EDIT: It was so unexpected, I posted before I checked their district. Mark Twain won their district, so four CCC schools did win district titles.

logic2718

Post by logic2718 »

why do these mshsaa threads end up being some of the most active on the forums? this is almost not worth discussing save perhaps results if people care (though considering the accuracy of predictions, I dunno if results even matter). I just find it somewhat strange that there isn't some huge thread on PACE or HSNCT (besides the bids thread) but these district/sectional/state topics draw attention from a variety of sources. i guess i'm sort of adding fire to the flames by posting, but oh well.

qb230

Post by qb230 »

I'm going to go ahead and make sectional picks:

Class 1:

1- Bradleyville
2- Thomas Jefferson Independent
3- Heartland
4- Pilot Grove
5- North Shelby
6- Pattonsburg
7- St. Joseph Christian
8- Mound City

Class 2:

1- South Pemiscot
2- Richland
3- South Shelby
4- Marceline
5- Fordland
6- College Heights Christian
7- Barstow
8- Plattsburg

Class 3:

1- Notre Dame (Cape Gir.)
2- Salem
3- Orchard Farm
4- Centralia
5- Forsyth
6- Logan-Rogersville
7- Lexington
8- Savannah

Class 4:

1- Oakville
2- Ladue
3- Parkway West
4- Rock Bridge
5- Rolla
6- Kickapoo
7- North Kansas City
8- Liberty

cchval

Post by cchval »

why do these mshsaa threads end up being some of the most active on the forums? this is almost not worth discussing save perhaps results if people care (though considering the accuracy of predictions, I dunno if results even matter). I just find it somewhat strange that there isn't some huge thread on PACE or HSNCT (besides the bids thread) but these district/sectional/state topics draw attention from a variety of sources. i guess i'm sort of adding fire to the flames by posting, but oh well.
A.) More people are involved in MSHSAA stuff in Missouri than are going to nationals, obviously. Teams that aren't going to nationals obviously have no reason to post about it.
B.) People have a lot more knowledge about the Missouri circuit than nationals. I don't know about you, but we've faced two out-of-state teams all year, so I have a much better idea about our chances at districts/sectionals/state than I do at nationals.
C.) MSHSAA stuff is happening right now, as opposed to nationals in like 6 weeks.

Obviously, I agree with you that nationals is way more important. I'd rather overachieve at PACE than state, but I'm also a lot more aware of what's going on in Missouri, which is especially true of smaller schools that aren't going to nationals. Also, state does mean a lot to schools, even if the players and coaches are aware of how much it sucks.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

These are my sectionals predictions. Bear in mind I only have seen maybe 60% of these schools at most.

1A

1-Bradleyville
2-Thomas Jefferson Independent
3-Heartland
4-Pilot Grove
5-North Shelby
6-Pattonsburg
7-St. Joseph Christian
8-Mound City

2A

1-South Pemiscot
2-Richland
3-South Shelby
4-Merceline
5-Fordland
6-College Heights Christian
7-Barstow
8-Plattsburg

3A

1-Notre Dame (Cape)
2-Lutheran South
3-Clark County
4-Centralia
5-Forsyth
6-Bolivar
7-Lexington
8-Savannah

4A

1-Central (Cape)
2-Ladue
3-Parkway West
4-Rock Bridge
5-Rolla
6-Smith-Cotton
7-NKC
8-Park Hill South
Last edited by scphilli on Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

christino

Post by christino »

Parkway North shouldn't be picked over Parkway West. That is, barring any lineup changes that I have not been aware of.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Crap I typed that wrong then misread what Ben said. I need to eat something stat.

ChippytheSavage

Post by ChippytheSavage »

3A

1-Notre Dame (Cape)
2-Lutheran South
3-Clark County
4-Centralia
5-Forsyth
6-Bolivar
7-Lexington
8-Savannah
Don't see Smithville losing to Lexington. I will put in a good word for them. But then again, Lexington did put up good numbers. I think that will be an interesting one.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

woo sectionals tomorrow

fun fun fun

christino

Post by christino »

when its thursday, we gonna be so excited

octo

Post by octo »