Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Next year

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
yungun94

Next year

Post by yungun94 »

What do you think about teams next year? Players being lost, performance, etc. Class 1-4

Charlie Dees

Re: Next year

Post by Charlie Dees »

I predict there is no 2008 Rock Bridge quizbowl grad named Drake.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

Do verbs work like that?

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

To revive an old thread:

Ladue still is going to be very good. They still have Max (perhaps the best-known Missouri player nationally) for 2 more years. and Max has been no slouch when it comes to developing his teammates.

Clayton will need to find someone to replace Ikshu, and develop a stable A-team roster, but they are still an upper-tier team. Anytime they played, Ikshu's supporting cast had some impressive buzzes.

Villa Duchesne loses Sabrina, who was the bulk of their scoring. I have no idea how their younger players will do, but when I saw them at S & T Spring, they had some good buzzes. If they're willing to put in the work, they can still be a very good team.

Savannah still has most of their roster from last year that made HSNCT playoffs. I think they can still be quite a good team, and will be revelent the whole year. They still have Austin and Colton, who are very good.

Jefferson City loses their captain Sam, who was good. Unfortunately, Sam only really had a year to build them up. I think they're in a similar situation to Villa, in where they can still do well if they're willing to put in the work.

Helias still retains Nick Velios, who is their best player. Hopefully, they'll put some work into developing their younger teammates.

NKC really impressed me when I saw them at WUHSAC. They were a pretty balanced team on bonuses, and they have people who are capable of having big games (Forrest W. in my room had 10 tossups). Most of all, they're young. Nowhere to go but up.

Rock Bridge is easily one of the premier programs in the state. They lose captain Craig and Marc, but they still have the rest of their roster. Bess is easily one of their best, and she is sneaky good (Check out the MOQBA Singles Championship). They also retain Iyas and Riaz, two of their A-team starters. But what really impresed me about them is depth. They easily have one of the best B-teams in the state. No matter who they promote to A-team, they will more than likely still have a great B-team.

Oakville is losing two members, but the rest of their squad is still good and young. Nowhere to go but up for this team.

That's all I've got. Any thoughts, anyone?
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Wed Jul 06, 2011 1:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ChippytheSavage

Post by ChippytheSavage »

Savannah is retaining Austin and Colton. Emily, Trevor and Kent all graduated. Everyone from the B Team still remains too.

octo

Post by octo »

Helias still has most if not all of their players.

PaulGrant

Post by PaulGrant »

In Class 1, Heartland will no longer be a favorite. They lost Antonio who finished 32nd individually at HSNCT and did the bulk of their scoring. Mound City and Pilot Grove, the 2nd and 3rd place teams, get every one back. I think that they will have some good games.

In the upper classes i'd like to see someone give Savannah and Ladue a run for their money. It seems like people are already giving up hope of winning Class 4 in 2012/2013 because Ladue's lineup consists of freshmen and sophomores, so it would be interesting to see a team step up and challenge them.

On the flipside, I hope that Ladue does even better at HSNCT than they did last year, because they represent our State.

christino

Post by christino »

edit2:delirious nonsense
[quote="PaulGrant"]someone give Ladue a run for their money.[/quote]
Rock Bridge will probably be the closest you can come to challenging Ladue. Also, we have some pretty dedicated and well-performing B team members and bright incoming freshmen too.
Last edited by christino on Sun Oct 23, 2011 4:22 pm, edited 3 times in total.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

PaulGrant wrote:In the upper classes i'd like to see someone give Savannah and Ladue a run for their money. It seems like people are already giving up hope of winning Class 4 in 2012/2013 because Ladue's lineup consists of freshmen and sophomores, so it would be interesting to see a team step up and challenge them.
The best way for anyone to give either of these squads a run for their money is to replicate their success. And it's going to take plenty of practice and competitions. So put those chamois to work, kids!

Then again, most teams probably have given up hope of winning Class 4 when they remember that it's a drawn-out match in an unbalanced tournament. :P

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:
PaulGrant wrote:In the upper classes i'd like to see someone give Savannah and Ladue a run for their money. It seems like people are already giving up hope of winning Class 4 in 2012/2013 because Ladue's lineup consists of freshmen and sophomores, so it would be interesting to see a team step up and challenge them.
The best way for anyone to give either of these squads a run for their money is to replicate their success. And it's going to take plenty of practice and competitions. So put those chamois to work, kids!

Then again, most teams probably have given up hope of winning Class 4 when they remember that it's a drawn-out match in an unbalanced tournament. :P
So try and beat them at the NAQT Qualifier in March. Practically everybody in the state who does good quiz bowl knows that's a more impressive title than the joke format MSHSAA runs with.
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Fri Jul 08, 2011 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Jacob makes a very salient point. Everybody should come to NAQT state this year! March 3rd at the beautiful campus of the University of Missouri in Columbia! Last year was the largest event we've yet run, and this year we want to way outdo that turnout. We especially would love even more teams to play for the small school title. Paul, do you think Mound City might be willing to make the trek out for that?

As for teams beating Ladue - Max proved just how good a single player can make a team in the span of a year if you put in the work, so there's no reason that more teams can't make that leap. However, as I've pointed out elsewhere, it's not going to happen if you don't focus entirely on doing well at MOQBA events. Ladue went to 7 MOQBA events, plus NAQT nationals, and took multiple teams to most of those events, while also going to 0 invitationals on the MSHSAA format or in other speedcheck formats. Clayton did the exact same, as did Rock Bridge (actually, they went to even more good events). This year, these teams were among the very best to ever play in Missouri in a pretty indisputable way, and as the attendance of good teams at good events increases, we can only expect to see even more teams hit their level, or surpass it, and it won't be the teams that care about the MSHSAA format. I really hope the teams who are serious but have a history of attending tons of MSHSAA events, especially in the western part of the state, can finally really begin to realize that there are all kinds of fundamental changes going on with our circuit, and that all they need to do is start to practice on and participate in pyramidal tournaments. It can be a process where there are some growing pains at first, but you really can do it, and you'll be a way better team for it, and you'll even do better at the MSHSAA series by abandoning them the rest of the year in favor of events that prepare you for the harder questions NAQT is asking at state.

I will also repeat what I've said elsewhere: the moment a class 1 or class 2 team realizes I'm right and decides to get good at real quizbowl, it's lights out for everyone else's chance to win state.

PaulGrant

Post by PaulGrant »

Paul, do you think Mound City might be willing to make the trek out for that?
Edit: Still no, but we are making strides.
I will also repeat what I've said elsewhere: the moment a class 1 or class 2 team realizes I'm right and decides to get good at real quizbowl, it's lights out for everyone else's chance to win state.
Yes.
Last edited by PaulGrant on Tue Nov 01, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Is the coach at Mound City the same person as when I was in high school (Diane White, I believe)? I remember when I was around Mound City would make a point of traveling to most of the tournaments in Kansas City. MOQBA is working to expand into that circuit more this year, so if you think you can get your coach to show up to something like 5 tournaments in KC this year, that would certainly be an improvement on your current schedule and not as big a price burden as traveling somewhere like Columbia.

Also, if you want to host a fundraiser, you should talk to your coach about running an MOQBA event, because we would love to run something in the northwest part of the state to help your region get more active.

PaulGrant

Post by PaulGrant »

Diane White is no longer our coach. Next season will be David Reiter's 2nd year as our head coach. He worked as assistant coach before that.

Running a MOQBA event up here would be excellent. I think getting over the first hump of convincing people that its worth the effort would be the hardest part. Also, finding the right people to host would be key. St. Joseph Christian and Savannah host the best tournaments in our area. Savannah's second tournament used NAQT questions on the HSNCT format, and it was by far the best tournament we attended.

L-Town Expatriate

As I recall, Mr. Reiter is also your band director.

Is it possible to network with other kids in your conference and see if any of them would be interested in upping the game a bit? Even in a region that continues to lose population like crazy, there could be enough interest to improve the circuit. In addition to owning quiz bowl in the area, you'd make for a potentially appealing Assignment America segment from CBS' Steve Hartman.

PaulGrant

Post by PaulGrant »

As I recall, Mr. Reiter is also your band director.
Yes, Mr. Reiter directs our band.
Is it possible to network with other kids in your conference and see if any of them would be interested in upping the game a bit?
Maybe I could send out some letters or something? I could invite them to the NAQT Missouri Qualifier. Perhaps one good tournament is all they need to get them going. Perhaps not. Worth a shot anyway.

L-Town Expatriate

It would be a 3½-hour drive from Mound City to Columbia for any open tournament there, I believe.

Just a suggestion.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

6 Missouri teams made Fred's top 100!