Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Bonus stats

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
merv1618

Bonus stats

Post by merv1618 »

I'm curious as to why most MOQBA tournament stat reports are given as a decimal percentage instead of out of 30. I mean it's easy to convert it, but it still strikes me as pretty odd.

Mickey0R0urke

Re: Bonus stats

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

That's how SQBS converts bonus conversion when you use bouncebacks (which a lot of tournaments have this year).

merv1618

Post by merv1618 »

But there are separate bounceback stat lines for that reason, which make sense to be a percentage. However there are plenty of tournaments which have both bounceback percentages as well as XX.XX/30.00 ppb statlines.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

When using bouncebacks, it's technically possible to enter bonus stats however you want in SQBS since it's all manual entry, but it's my understanding that they are typically entered using bonus points scored out of bonus points possible so that the bonus and bounceback statistics are calculated the same way, instead of having to explain something like "first chance bonuses are points per bonus (i.e. out of 30) but bouncebacks are percent of available points". (Granted, it's not that hard to figure out, but that's the main reason I still do it that way, at least.) I seem to remember there being a guide at one point that instructed stats for bounceback tournaments to be entered that way, but I'm not sure who wrote that.

I guess I didn't realize tournaments elsewhere in the country did it differently. I see that PACE NSC has done normal PPB (out of 30) and then % bounceback parts converted since switching over to 20/20. You would think I would have remembered that since I did some SQBS entry of stats at NSC in 2010 and 2011... (well, I guess for the latter there was plenty more to remember than that little detail.)

christino

Post by christino »

This year, WUHSAC bonus stats are out of 30, and bounceback stats are out of 10. I don't know whether this was easier to do due to WUStL replacing conventional scoresheets, however.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

christino wrote:This year, WUHSAC bonus stats are out of 30, and bounceback stats are out of 10. I don't know whether this was easier to do due to WUStL replacing conventional scoresheets, however.
I think this has to do with how Richard entered the points possible in SQBS. I would refer questions about that to him.

richardyu

Post by richardyu »

What WUStL put out on the "Scoreboard" page was the total score of each game and the bonuses heard + BPts earned for each team in that game. This made it easy for me to do mental arithmetic and figure out how many bonus parts were rebounded to the other team per game, instead of having to count things out on a score sheet. Dividing the total BBPts earned by the number of parts rebounded feeds out the number of points earned per single bb, e.g. 5 out of 10. You could of course get the same thing just by multiplying the out-of-one statistic by 10. Hopefully this is a bit more aesthetically pleasing, at least.