Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

So... Fred's rankings

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
bruins4life

So... Fred's rankings

Post by bruins4life »

I know a lot on here do harbor a lot of love for Fred's national rankings. My question is where and when did Kickapoo perform so well that they are considered #75 in the state just behind Hickman and just ahead of Ladue B?
Am I missing the tournament that they went to?
This is not meant to be a knock on Kickapoo, they could be very good for all I know, but I haven't seen them against the other very good teams in MO that are ranked.

Thoughts or links to stats?

leftsaidfred

Re: So... Fred's rankings

Post by leftsaidfred »

Yeah, I can't do basic math.

bruins4life

Post by bruins4life »

Lol. My error in grammar.... 75th in the nation... I couldn't find my old login to the blog, so I thought I'd ask my fellow nerds here first. Could you answer my question though? I didn't mean to troll, just curious if I missed Kickapoo improving a lot all of a sudden.

Mewto55555

Post by Mewto55555 »

Fred's rankings (especially lower on the chart) are almost entirely based on the best PPB stats teams put up at various tournaments (adjusted for set difficulty) -- according to his edit on http://hsqbrank.wordpress.com/
Update: had inflated stats for Kickapoo, giving them about 10 extra ppb on one tournament; obviously, that’s going to affect things. Dropped them from the rankings, moved everyone else up, including Utica Academy A.
he just messed up a number and didn't mean to include Kickapoo.

leftsaidfred

Post by leftsaidfred »

bruins4life wrote:Lol. My error in grammar.... 75th in the nation... I couldn't find my old login to the blog, so I thought I'd ask my fellow nerds here first. Could you answer my question though? I didn't mean to troll, just curious if I missed Kickapoo improving a lot all of a sudden.
Sorry, I just saw that you responded here.

I seriously did mess up basic math in calculating Kickapoo's (and possibly all the PPB from that Winter tourney) numbers; since they were so high, that resulted in them being incorrectly in the top 100. That's all that happened, and is part of the problem with tournaments that don't present combined stats.