Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Smith-Cotton

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
cgrantmaledy

Smith-Cotton

Post by cgrantmaledy »

Hello all, I'm Grant Maledy, the new coach at Sedalia's Smith-Cotton. Couple of questions... Does anyone know when/if we have traditionally hosted here? I'm having some difficulty discovering what we've done in the past. Also, I would love to hear any thoughts on equipment recommendations, we have 4 sets of ZeeCraft's here, one of which appears to be functioning normally. I played for Salem in high school, but that's been long enough ago that I'm not really hip to current trends. Thanks in advance, looking forward to meeting you this season.

Mickey0R0urke

Re: Smith-Cotton

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

I don't think that Smith-Cotton has ever really hosted anything other than maybe MSHSAA Districts before.

I think almost any buzzer system would be accepted for use at tournaments and Nationals (such as NAQT's Nationals in Chicago) as long as it's not wireless. Wireless buzzer systems have a history of malfunctioning after a while.

Let the board know if you have any more questions!

cgrantmaledy

Post by cgrantmaledy »

Very good. Thanks for the heads up on the wireless. Insofar as hosting goes, should I just choose the date that conflicts the least and move forward?

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

cgrantmaledy wrote:Very good. Thanks for the heads up on the wireless. Insofar as hosting goes, should I just choose the date that conflicts the least and move forward?
That's definitely what you should do if you want to host. Email me (my email address is jacob.orourke.7 [at] gmail.com) or anyone else in the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance if you'd like to brainstorm ideas for a set. Also be sure to check out this thread and see if anything is being hosted on the date you want.
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Anderson Enterprises buzzers are on the inexpensive end of the spectrum (a little over $200) and are pretty reliable. I personally own 2 of the daisy-chain "Table-Top Button" sets. One thing I don't like about them is the tiny LED indicator lights, but you get used to them after a while.

BuzzerSystems.com also has some decent systems for a little more (starting around $300) and I'm not aware of any complaints.

I'm not a big fan of ZeeCraft systems - they are expensive (closer to $600), the telephone connectors break easily, and I find the shape of their "new improved design" rather annoying when wrapping up the cords and packing them up.

See the QBWiki page on buzzers for buying tips and a complete list of manufacturers.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

I'll second the Andersons - especially the table-top sets. Three things to plug and you're done. It's 7th Grader-proof (so far. Give them time.)