Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Thoughts on the 2016-2017 Season

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
Mickey0R0urke

Thoughts on the 2016-2017 Season

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Since we still have over a month until the first tournaments of the season, I thought I would share some of my thoughts about the upcoming season and invite everyone else to also share.

For anyone interested in the Washington program: We only lost one player from last year, which was Caleb Young. Caleb played on the B team at nationals. Other than Caleb, we return every player from our A/B/C team.

I think that outside of the top 4 or so teams in the state, the top 10 is wide open this year. I think just about any team can rapidly advance into the top 10 if they really want to.

Some teams who are led by younger players, that I'm going to keep my eye on this year:
-Eureka
-St. Joseph Central
-Hickman
-Louisiana
-MICDS
-Tuscumbia
-Marquette
-Ladue

I'm excited to see how tournaments keep improving this year. Last year was a pretty great year for the quality of tournaments; let's keep that going this year!

I welcome everyone else to share their own thoughts. Let's get discussing!

rpaul48

Re: Thoughts on the 2016-2017 Season

Post by rpaul48 »

Ladue loses two seniors in Royce Dong and Logan Page. Our A team this year will consist of either four sophomores or three sophomores and a senior. Our B team on the other hand is much more tentative, but will likely be mostly juniors and seniors. I'm excited to see how Ladue and other Missouri teams perform this season!

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

At present I just have one rumination to include:

There are a couple (I believe) juniors from Kirksville that could make an impact, Nick Maag and Tyler Findling. Claire Benevento showed some early signs of prominence leading their C team at OMAR last year. The three of them, plus anyone who is waiting in the shadows, could easily prove once again that (despite usually waiting until after Christmas to get going) the Tigers are a team you can't underestimate or take lightly.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Disclaimer: I finished my list as I was getting ready to go to work, so I forgot several deserving teams in my haste to get to work. This list is not meant to be a perfect list-merely a tool to get the discussion started beyond "who are the top 10 in the state this year?"

Further teams:
-Savannah-do they return everyone from last year? I seem to remember that they were a young team
-Rock Bridge-They lose Luke Chval and some other A team members, but Nathan is still around. This team, I think, has some uncertainty surrounding it.
Helias-I believe they return most of their program? I'm so upset I forgot them, since I'm really excited to see how they progress this year.
St. Pius X-this I'd another young team, I believe, and I think they have an opportunity to have a great year.
Hannibal-this team is the poster for uncertainty, but I'm loozing forward to see how Pranati and Gavin perform this year.

bolshevik

Post by bolshevik »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:At present I just have one rumination to include:

There are a couple (I believe) juniors from Kirksville that could make an impact, Nick Maag and Tyler Findling. Claire Benevento showed some early signs of prominence leading their C team at OMAR last year. The three of them, plus anyone who is waiting in the shadows, could easily prove once again that (despite usually waiting until after Christmas to get going) the Tigers are a team you can't underestimate or take lightly.
Yeah, Kirksville's B team at OMAR wasn't too shabby either. North Shelby and Louisiana gave them their only losses.

Also, I'll add Hallsville. Sam Lockwood seems to be a promising sophomore. In addition, Emily Boyle lead the B team at OMAR, and I believe she is a sophomore. They could very well lead the program in coming years.

Lakeland Scholar Bowl

Post by Lakeland Scholar Bowl »

Fort Osage lost our leading scorer, Colin Turnham, but we returned our #2, #3, #4, #5, #6, and #7 points scorers. As per usual, we will be frequenting the Columbia area this year...

WMR1 coach

Post by WMR1 coach »

Mickey0R0urke wrote:"
Helias-I believe they return most of their program? I'm so upset I forgot them, since I'm really excited to see how they progress this year.
Their B-team improved a lot throughout last season. It seems like we played them in the afternoon bracket at just about every tournament we attended together and they got tougher each time. Pretty sure they were freshmen and sophomores.

L-Town Expatriate

WMR1 coach wrote:
Their B-team improved a lot throughout last season. It seems like we played them in the afternoon bracket at just about every tournament we attended together and they got tougher each time. Pretty sure they were freshmen and sophomores.
Their C team at the state qualifier that qualified for HSNCT was mostly underclassmen. They will be a formidable group. It'll be a dang shame if MSHSAA once again draws Helias, Hickman, Rock Bridge and Hannibal into the same district (especially when in other activities the Columbia/Jeff City area is being sent to face district opponents in Blue Springs, Wentzville and Springfield.)

L-Town Expatriate

Mickey0R0urke wrote:Hannibal-this team is the poster for uncertainty, but I'm loozing forward to see how Pranati and Gavin perform this year.
Hannibal has won the past two NCMC titles easily, but this could be the year they're pipped. Kirksville is hosting (in addition to the names I mentioned above), and depending on who returns, Mexico is well on the upswing. Moberly has lost Audrey to graduation, but they have a couple promising sophomores that should be ready to step in. Marshall will have a new coach following the retirement of their "academic goddess" and longtime leader. Not much to write about Boonville, TBH, and nothing to write about Fulton, as their program went inactive over two years ago.

(edit @ 1440, 24th October 2016) So I had Audrey's graduation year wrong. She's back for her senior year. NCMC could be relatively top-heavy this year, but with Pranati's strong showing at Mizzou to start the season, Hannibal remain the favorite.
Last edited by L-Town Expatriate on Mon Oct 24, 2016 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Nathan Rock Bridge

Post by Nathan Rock Bridge »

Rock Bridge-They lose Luke Chval and some other A team members, but Nathan is still around. This team, I think, has some uncertainty surrounding it
I guess since we were mentioned I'll talk about us a little to clear up some of the uncertainty. We lose Luke and Derek Wang from our full time A team, and Arnold Chen who rotated on and off the A team. However we are looking forward to this year as we are returning many players who were on the A team rotation but didn't make the HSNCT A team who made some decent contributions, as well as myself and Bryan Carrasco-who managed to take a spot on our HSNCT A team after only joining the quiz bowl team in the middle of second semester and is a pretty solid humanities player. Bryan and I will likely make up the A team along with Daniel Shi, who powers basically all of the Christianity questions but is a bit nervous to buzz on other questions he knows (or at least says he knew) when he plays on the A team. After that the fourth spot is basically up for grabs. We have a few underclassmen getting started who have potential, although I'd guess the fourth will be a senior.

We are starting off worse than we ended last year, in part because we didn't put in as much work over the summer as we could have, but I believe there is a very good chance we will end up better than last year. Currently when we do Me vs everyone scrimmages on IS sets we combine for about 6 or 7 powers per game and 600ish points. With just the A team we'd probably beat the packet for a little bit less points and fewer powers.

I also have some thoughts on some other teams I see at tournaments a lot.

Washington will obviously be very good and will have at least a competitive A and B team, and possibly a competitive C team. Preseason I (and I'm assuming most others) would say Washington A has to be the best team in Missouri, barring a sudden emergence of another school, and Joe is likely the best player in Missouri by a decent margin. At the Mizzou side events day he was getting a few lit and fine arts toss ups per round against great college players like Charles and Itamar.

Hickman will also be very good, returning Owen, Dinis, and Veer leaves pretty good coverage in anything but lit, and I've heard that Nancy, who has previously been on B or C teams made huge progress over the summer into lit, and I believe Dinis got into mythology so that should be a tough team.

Ladue has a lot of potential, I remember a group of Freshman coming on strong at the end of the last season and making it to the playoffs at a couple tournaments without Royce or Logan. A friend on the Ladue team told me they were studying, and they are also reviving LIST, so that takes work.

I always like to shout out Tuscumbia because they are always fun to talk to, and last year they did pretty well for a two person team who were both underclassmen. I saw that at Tiger Bowl they had a four person team, so hopefully Preston and Dustin have teammates who are willing to put in work. Either way they have a lot of potential, Jason knows quiz bowl and I believe they made JV state playoffs as a two person team.

I'm not as familiar with the next group of Helias, Hannibal, and Hallsville teams as I was with their graduating players (or the teams I already mentioned), but I believe they should all be solid teams this year with potential to be great, as Helias returns almost everyone from solid B and C teams (I remember Brooke getting a few impressive buzzes against us last year and being down after toss up 7 or 8 in a game against either B or C at Columbia College), Gavin and Pranati return to Hannibal, and Hallsville returns everyone from there t11th place at SSNCT next year except Joel.

Also, Southwestern A from Illinois who invaded a Hallsville tournament and finished fourth at SSNCT returns their leading scorer, so if they come back to Missouri they should be scary.

I'm looking forward to a great final year of high school quiz bowl and hope to see you guys at as many tournaments as we can.

ilikebooks

Post by ilikebooks »

Over the summer Washington A became the best players at the local Breadco. (or Panera thoooooooose people)

Then again our toughest opponent was the Mac n Cheese.

L-Town Expatriate

Nathan Rock Bridge wrote:I always like to shout out Tuscumbia because they are always fun to talk to, and last year they did pretty well for a two person team who were both underclassmen. I saw that at Tiger Bowl they had a four person team, so hopefully Preston and Dustin have teammates who are willing to put in work. Either way they have a lot of potential, Jason knows quiz bowl and I believe they made JV state playoffs as a two person team.
I'm not sure if Caleb is a freshman yet, but he was a solid one-man team at Washington's middle school tournament last spring. He has great promise.
ilikebooks wrote:Over the summer Washington A became the best players at the local Breadco. (or Panera thoooooooose people)

Then again our toughest opponent was the Mac n Cheese.
Darn, I thought the French Onion soup would have put up a more formidable fight.

WMR1 coach

Post by WMR1 coach »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:
WMR1 coach wrote:
Their C team at the state qualifier that qualified for HSNCT was mostly underclassmen. They will be a formidable group. It'll be a dang shame if MSHSAA once again draws Helias, Hickman, Rock Bridge and Hannibal into the same district (especially when in other activities the Columbia/Jeff City area is being sent to face district opponents in Blue Springs, Wentzville and Springfield.)
Yeah -- just scrolled through Helias C's MO qualifier stats. Impressive indeed. Looks like they had at least one player who played on both B & C throughout the year.

As others have mentioned, Tuscumbia is going to be really tough. The other class 1 schools you'll see a lot on the circuit include: Pilot Grove should also be strong since I think they return their top scorer. Same with CIS, who in previous years hadn't been attending the fall tournaments. Looks like they've signed up for a couple this year. My Wellsville team returns Gage S. for his senior year along with Jesse C., a promising sophomore. We plan to max out our schedule again.

L-Town Expatriate

WMR1 coach wrote:
L-Town Expatriate wrote:
WMR1 coach wrote:
Yeah -- just scrolled through Helias C's MO qualifier stats. Impressive indeed. Looks like they had at least one player who played on both B & C throughout the year.

As others have mentioned, Tuscumbia is going to be really tough. The other class 1 schools you'll see a lot on the circuit include: Pilot Grove should also be strong since I think they return their top scorer. Same with CIS, who in previous years hadn't been attending the fall tournaments. Looks like they've signed up for a couple this year. My Wellsville team returns Gage S. for his senior year along with Jesse C., a promising sophomore. We plan to max out our schedule again.
Kale Day is a junior, and there's a number of sophomores backing him up, though their stats aren't showing it yet. We're going to hear quite a bit about Pilot Grove the next couple of seasons.

bolshevik

Post by bolshevik »

Some info about our team this year:

- We lose graduated seniors Kelly and Carolina, as well as senior Marcelino.
- Everyone else returns. Three freshmen are expected to join the team.

We are holding a meeting next week for those interested, so I'm excited to see how that will go.

To add to the discussion of the state circuit, I should mention that Calvary Lutheran will return top two scorers Silas and Remington as well as some other freshmen. A local powerhouse, Centralia, will lose Kate and Aonghus, top scorers. Lit player Brandon returns, as well as Patrick, Caden, and Sarah (can't remember what their specialties are but eh), and other JV players.

L-Town Expatriate

bolshevik wrote:Some info about our team this year:

We are holding a meeting next week for those interested, so I'm excited to see how that will go.

To add to the discussion of the state circuit, I should mention that Calvary Lutheran will return top two scorers Silas and Remington as well as some other freshmen. A local powerhouse, Centralia, will lose Kate and Aonghus, top scorers. Lit player Brandon returns, as well as Patrick, Caden, and Sarah (can't remember what their specialties are but eh), and other JV players.
As far as I can tell about other members of the Clarence Cannon:
-Taylor Wallace graduated from Brookfield. He's at Columbia University now. Not sure who the Bulldogs have stepping up.
-Colten Hammond graduated from Clark County. They have a couple juniors who might pick up some of Colten's load.
-Tyler Beauregard, who was a rising star at SSNCT (Kale was the other, IIRC) returns for his junior year at South Shelby. Tyler should have a good core around him.
-Monroe City has a new pair of coaches. Also coaching changes at Macon and Clark County.
-Palmyra is starting to show some potential. Unfortunately names are eluding me.
-Highland is, well, Highland.

Might end up jabbering about the amalgamated Lewis & Clark Conference next.

bolshevik

Post by bolshevik »

L-Town Expatriate wrote:
bolshevik wrote:Some info about our team this year:

As far as I can tell about other members of the Clarence Cannon:
-Taylor Wallace graduated from Brookfield. He's at Columbia University now. Not sure who the Bulldogs have stepping up.
-Colten Hammond graduated from Clark County. They have a couple juniors who might pick up some of Colten's load.
-Tyler Beauregard, who was a rising star at SSNCT (Kale was the other, IIRC) returns for his junior year at South Shelby. Tyler should have a good core around him.
-Monroe City has a new pair of coaches. Also coaching changes at Macon and Clark County.
-Palmyra is starting to show some potential. Unfortunately names are eluding me.
-Highland is, well, Highland.

Might end up jabbering about the amalgamated Lewis & Clark Conference next.
Yes, Tyler will certainly be formidable in the next couple of years. I felt like mentioning Clark but due to their unfortunate relative geographic seclusion they don't attend many tournaments. Palmyra's top scorers are Austin Hebert and Tyler Buckwalter, and I'm not too sure on grades. They were at OMAR last year and perhaps will begin attending more tournaments. Who knows, perhaps the CCC will begin to see a general team improvement in the future? Let's hope.

(No but seriously let's hope. Our conference obligation takes up 9 of our 14 events.)

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

FWIW, Clark County would certainly be welcome at west central Illinois events for which they are eligible. Quickly glancing at the IHSSBCA calendar I see tournaments at Moline (2.5 hrs) and Macomb (1.25 hrs). There's also a November event scheduled in Chariton, IA, also just shy of 2.5 hours away for them.

Compared to minimum distances they'd have to travel to similar events in northeast Missouri, at least Macomb's roughly on the same order of magnitude. And Moline and Chariton are roughly as far away as anything in Columbia would be.

Obviously, the same applies to other Missouri teams who are interested and who might find these events close(r) for them.

bolshevik

Post by bolshevik »

Does anyone know anything about Marquette's players? I know one or two of them graduated but I'm not sure who - I believe they were Ethan and Sam?

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

bolshevik wrote:Does anyone know anything about Marquette's players? I know one or two of them graduated but I'm not sure who - I believe they were Ethan and Sam?
I know Brandon, their top scorer, returns. I think David said most of their core group returns for this year?

bolshevik

Post by bolshevik »

Well, it's becoming clear that Washington is indeed, as suspected, the best team in the state as of right now. Nice job, guys. After that, from what we've seen so far, Ladue is close behind. I'm excited to see this rivalry play out later in the year. Great job to both teams at the tournaments they've played so far.

mmoliver

Post by mmoliver »

Although we graduated Stephen, Zach and all but one of our A team from last year, Helias had an all sophomore team that qualified for HSNCT last year. All of them are back and had an impressive showing last weekend at Mizzou. Ben Husting and Brooke Roling lead a strong group of juniors. I expect Megan Kerr and Evan Jenkins to contribute a great deal. Michael Mendez is our lone returning senior from last year's A team. We have a few sophomores showing some real potential, as well. I am always amazed by the talent we have across this state when I see the schools compete throughout the season.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Just wanted to say that the first semester of events was fun, and I'm greatly looking forward to the second semester. Hope to see all of you at tournaments!