Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

BYE BYE MULTIPLIER

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

BYE BYE MULTIPLIER

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

One step closer to Promotion and Relegation in Missouri high school athletics:
https://www.stltoday.com/sports/high-sc ... e-trending

One notable question, though: will they still double the population of single-sex schools (Priory, Villa, etc.) in quiz bowl, knowing full well that we're a co-ed activity? (Ditto for music.)

socalcaptain

Re: BYE BYE MULTIPLIER

Post by socalcaptain »

Honestly, that's a great question, Kyle...

I feel like that might be something very tangible we could do to help improve the scene for girls in quizbowl. Has there been any movement or proposals to eliminate the single-sex doubling factor in co-ed activities before?

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

socalcaptain wrote:
Wed Jun 26, 2019 8:52 pm
I feel like that might be something very tangible we could do to help improve the scene for girls in quizbowl. Has there been any movement or proposals to eliminate the single-sex doubling factor in co-ed activities before?
With further talk about improving gender equality in quizbowl, I wonder if this is worth thinking about again. Obviously I know it's not something we can change on our own, but I wonder if there's ever been any serious push for something like this among any co-ed activities (music, speech, etc.). It shouldn't matter if my school has 500 students total or 500 girls only for an event whose competitor's gender is (or, at least, should be) irrelevant. It only serves to force so-called "single-sex" schools into higher classes artificially for no good reason.

dwd50

Post by dwd50 »

MSHSAA Board of Directors at the March 12 meeting wrote: 1. The Board took action to utilize the raw, un-doubled enrollment of all-boys schools and allgirls schools for all MSHSAA activities classification – Music, Speech/Debate/Theatre, and Scholar Bowl.

Rationale: The enrollments of single sex schools are doubled for classification purposes for the sex-separated sports in order to provide equity with co-ed schools. An all-girls school of 500 equates to a co-ed school of 1000 (500 boys and 500 girls typically). The activities perform or compete co-educationally rather than sex-separated – a school may utilize ALL of their students, boys or girls. This change makes classification equitable for the co-ed activities.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

dwd50 wrote:
Thu Jul 16, 2020 4:59 pm
MSHSAA Board of Directors at the March 12 meeting wrote: 1. The Board took action to utilize the raw, un-doubled enrollment of all-boys schools and allgirls schools for all MSHSAA activities classification – Music, Speech/Debate/Theatre, and Scholar Bowl.

Rationale: The enrollments of single sex schools are doubled for classification purposes for the sex-separated sports in order to provide equity with co-ed schools. An all-girls school of 500 equates to a co-ed school of 1000 (500 boys and 500 girls typically). The activities perform or compete co-educationally rather than sex-separated – a school may utilize ALL of their students, boys or girls. This change makes classification equitable for the co-ed activities.
A positive development in principle. The quasi-promotion/relegation system that's going in their place should make up for any perceived advantages nonpublic schools may have with how selective their enrollment could be.

I'm trying to find the minutes but am only coming across the agenda. Did they post this somewhere else?

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Oh, this is good! Glad they made this change.