Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

NAQT Sectionals 2011 - ACUI Region 11

Discuss collegiate quizbowl here!
socalcaptain

NAQT Sectionals 2011 - ACUI Region 11

Post by socalcaptain »

I have submitted a bid for ACUI Region 11 to host the 2011 Sectionals at Missouri State University, in Craig Hall, on February 5, 2011. I have been working with Jeremy Schenk, the incoming regional director for ACUI and a union staffer at MSU, on reserving the space and submitting the bid. I would like to note that the Region 11 ACUI board is being very flexible with us and with this event, and is doing all that they can to make it run smoothly. Despite issues in other regions last year, I think that this year we will have a successful SCT.

As the regional Academic Challenge coordinator, I feel it is my responsibility to direct this event. As such, when this bid is accepted (which I can only imagine it will be as no other ACUI school nor Missouri school has expressed public interest), I will begin preparing for this tournament. Obviously I will need to find competent staff, and would greatly appreciate any support I can get from the QB community in that department. I expect perhaps a few staffers from ACUI to assist, probably as scorekeepers, but I will need moderators and statisticians. If you or people you know would be interested, have them contact me once the bid has been announced.

Obviously this site will be convenient for Missouri schools (MU, Truman, WUSTL, MSU, SCCC, etc.), and our statewide network will make it easy to keep you all abreast of information. It will be part of my duties in preparing for the tournament to reach out to those schools in Kansas, Oklahoma, and Nebraska who wish to participate, as well as any schools in Arkansas, Kentucky, or Tennessee who might find this site closer than their region's host. If you know of any former quizbowlers or active teams in those states who might be willing to help or want to participate, please forward me their contact information.

I'm obviously active on here, so any questions or concerns you may have can be posted here or sent to me via email or PM. I'll keep you all updated as things progress.

octo

Re: NAQT Sectionals 2011 - ACUI Region 11

Post by octo »

I may consider coming down to staff this.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

After having attended the ACUI regional conference, I'm looking to do some real groundwork in the SCT department.

First things first: I need a field. Here's the list of teams that I know of (who may or may not currently be active) in the four states (NE, KS, MO, OK). Also listed, with question marks, are any ACUI regional member institutions, who I should be able to reach to see whether is any interest, or other colleges I have heard of that might have some interest.

If you have contact info for the current leadership of these teams, let me know so that I can start doing the outreach I need to do.

Missouri
University of Missouri (active)
Missouri University of Science and Technology (active)
Truman State University (active)
Missouri State University (active)
Washington University in St. Louis (active)
Harris-Stowe State University (active: sent a team to ACF Novice '10)
St. Louis University (active)
Lincoln University?
Lindenwood University?
Missouri Western State University?
University of Central Missouri?
University of Missouri-Kansas City?
University of Missouri-St. Louis?
Southeast Missouri State University?
Webster University?
Westminster College?

Kansas
Kansas State University (active)
Fort Hays State University (active: hosting an intramural, plans to send winner to tournament)
Emporia State University?
Pittsburg State University?
University of Kansas?
Wichita State University?

Oklahoma
University of Oklahoma (active)
Oklahoma State University (active)
University of Tulsa (active)
University of Central Oklahoma?
Oklahoma City University?
Northeastern State University?

Nebraska
Creighton University?
University of Nebraska-Kearney?
University of Nebraska-Lincoln?

Arkansas (Region 12's site is at Rice, so we would likely attract any N. Arkansas teams)
Harding University (active: has already begun to register a DII team for the Region 11 SCT online)
University of Arkansas (active)
Arkansas-Little Rock (active)
University of Arkansas-Fayetteville?
University of the Ozarks?

ALSO, ATTN Charles Hang:
The following are Region 11's Community Colleges:
-Kansas City KS CC
-Tulsa CC-Northeast

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

Any updates?

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

Arkansas (Region 12's site is at Rice, so we would likely attract any N. Arkansas teams)
Harding University (active: has already begun to register a DII team for the Region 11 SCT online)
University of Arkansas (active)
Arkansas-Little Rock (active)
University of Arkansas-Fayetteville?
University of the Ozarks?
The University of Arkansas is in Fayetteville. If you are still looking for contact information, I presume you'll want to look for UA-Fort Smith instead of Fayetteville twice. However, I doubt UAFS would have a program, and I might have to guess likewise for Arkansas Tech in Russellville & Central Arkansas in Conway.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Central Arkansas did in fact have a team fairly recently, but no idea if they're still active.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Updates:

- I'll be dialing into the NAQT/ACUI conference call on the 21st to discuss any questions hosts may have.

- Right now, just working on getting teams to register. NAQT recently sent me their contact list from their database, so I'm drafting what I will send out to each of those teams. I've had some bites from multiple schools already. Our D1 field doesn't look promising at the moment, so I have a feeling this will be a combined field, unless we get a lot of last minute registrations in D1.

-Will be needing staff, of course. Working with Jeremy (ACUI region 11 president and works in unions at Missouri State) to secure some of his unions people to scorekeep or be runners for us. Would like to run a training session with his people, but may not happen. Qualified mods are always a bonus, so please let me know if you will be available.

Also, thanks for the tips on the Arkansas schools. I've been operating out of a spreadsheet that has been updated since that post, so I have some new contacts and all for AR now.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

I'm probably going to play this year unless you desperately need me to read, so there's another D1 team.

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

I hope there are some programs being developed in the River Valley, if only to give Huntsville's perennial Science Knowledge Bowl champs something to keep going after graduation. (That would also mean seeing if NACC in Harrison & NWACC in Bentonville have programs that would compete in D-II.)

In terms of staffing, I've already committed to helping at Savannah's tournament that day, so I won't be in Springfield.
Last edited by L-Town Expatriate on Sat Jan 15, 2011 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

I can probably read for this.

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

Also, Central Arkansas still technically has a team although they have not attended a tournament this year. Arkansas-Little Rock, led by Kyle Gregory, formerly of Langston, has also attended a tournament this year; there's another potential DI team for you.

octo

Post by octo »

I'll read for this as long as I can get transportation.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

octo wrote:I'll read for this as long as I can get transportation.
If you can get to Rolla or St. Louis, WUSTL can take you. I guess we can get you from Jefferson City too, but it's out of the way, so we'd rather not unless we absolutely have to. Also, I imagine Truman State should be going through Jefferson City; try emailing Jared McNett at jwm7876@truman.edu.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Depending on the travel situation out of Columbia, we will of course be passing through Jeff City as well. However, I am going down the night before, and if we can get our whole Mizzou contingent in one car, we'll all go down early. If we have the space or a car coming down the following day, then you're welcome to join us.

Jeffrey Hill
Location: In between the bright lights and the far unlit unknown (aka Johnson County, KS)

Post by Jeffrey Hill »

I'm available to read.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Yeah, my car is leaving Friday evening as well, and I can only speak for myself in terms of being willing to detour through Jefferson City (I think I can reasonably assume that my teammates would be willing to pick you up if you were on the way, assuming their vehicles have room).

You are, of course, welcome to join us the evening before if you would like.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Just got off the conference call. Basically, Jeff Hoppes and some other hosts just reiterated a lot of what I already know from running tournaments and staffing HSNCT before, so I can't say it was thrillingly helpful, but it was nice just to be reminded of policies, etc.

As of right now, I still have no DI teams registered online. I have heard from some, however, so it seems like it will just be a matter of time.

In DII, we have Harding and Missouri Valley fully registered, and Mizzou and WUSTL in the process.

Other teams I've heard from recently: Rolla, Pittsburg State, Fort Hays, Oklahoma State

Teams I'm in contact with but no recent communication from them: Truman State, several Arkansas teams

And, as always, still looking for qualified staff, so if you know of anyone who could make it to Springfield to help, it's always appreciated.

Langston

Post by Langston »

Excuse the awkward screen name registered years ago...

1. UALR is getting official status as a club, but will not know until likely the end of January whether our begging for money has been successful. We're still working on getting a live audience for our begging-just letting you know we're still interested-for as much or little as that is worth..

2. Langston cannot attend due to some conflict that weekend between the President (James Harding) and Feb. 5th, but that program still exists there just for future reference.

The only active teams in Oklahoma since about 2007 that I'm aware that have attended any tournaments are OSU, OU, Tulsa, and Langston. Lincoln has an active HCASC team, but has never (to my knowledge) ventured out of that...

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

Alex, did you post the announcement on hsquizbowl? When I ran SCT last year, I did most of my promotion that way, and it was very helpful. :)

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Field update: (always current at http://naqt.com/registration/field.jsp? ... nt_id=3520)

Division I

Arkansas-Little Rock
Missouri S&T A
Oklahoma State A
Pittsburg State
Truman State A
WUSTL A

Division II
Arkansas
Fort Hays State
Harding
Kansas State
Missouri S&T B
Missouri Valley
Mizzou
Oklahoma State B
Oklahoma State C
Truman State B
Truman State C
Tulsa
WUSTL B
WUSTL C
WUSTL D
Last edited by socalcaptain on Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:23 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Reason: field updates

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

We'll have 1 DI team and 2-4 DII teams; we just haven't registered yet due to being busy on WUHSAC.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Just make sure you guys don't forget over the weekend to finish doing that - Monday (Jan 31) is the deadline. I'll remind you again at WUHSAC.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Thanks to the generosity of Caleb Robbins and the Harding team, UALR is now registered in D1.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

University of Tulsa has expressed interest in attending. I do not know at this point whether one Mr. Grant Gates is at all involved or even aware of this.

This brings our total up to teams from 11 schools. Impressive, considering some regions have as few as two or three teams registered at this point.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

We're up to five people who are planning on going, so I've signed us up for another team. One of the teams is me playing solo, so if it turns out that condensing back down to one team makes the numbers work out better, we're willing to do that.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Hey, I hear SCT is somewhat short on staff, so if any St. Louis area high schoolers would like to staff, WUSTL would probably be willing to take them with us. We'd also be willing to throw in a WUHSAC discount for next year into the mix if that would convince some people.

Acceleration

Post by Acceleration »

Charbroil wrote:Hey, I hear SCT is somewhat short on staff, so if any St. Louis area high schoolers would like to staff, WUSTL would probably be willing to take them with us. We'd also be willing to throw in a WUHSAC discount for next year into the mix if that would convince some people.
I would be interested in staffing this if I could get a ride.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Thanks, Charles! And Dylan, too.

It would be great to see some people coming down to get the experience of a college meet, hearing the questions and seeing a timed meet. We could probably wrangle a MFAT/Tiger Bowl/Mort Walker discount too.

DeckardCain

Post by DeckardCain »

Yeah, same goes for S&T Spring.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

I've sent out an email to teams already, but I wanted to see what staff availability would be like on the 19th. OSU has already cancelled, Arkansas is likely to be shorthanded at best, and some other teams have expressed concerns about travel conditions.

Obviously, the 12th will not work because most of our staff will be working Mort Walker, so the 19th is really our only option. Jeremy at MSU said rooms are nearly impossible to get on Sundays without a whole bunch of conditions, including have a staff person present (which he cannot be).

An email will also go out to all staffers who have already expressed their interest.

octo

Post by octo »

I believe the 19th works for me. I will get a more definite answer as soon as possible.

Jason Loy

Post by Jason Loy »

We'll be at Villa the 19th, so that wouldn't work for me.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

I should make it clear that I'm just checking for availability - we aren't for sure moving yet. Actually, we're likely to stay on the 5th.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Dylan, can you still come?

PenforPrez

Post by PenforPrez »

socalcaptain wrote:Just got off the conference call. Basically, Jeff Hoppes and some other hosts just reiterated a lot of what I already know from running tournaments and staffing HSNCT before, so I can't say it was thrillingly helpful, but it was nice just to be reminded of policies, etc.
Just wanted to touch on this for a moment. That's mainly for the ACUI people who have never run tournaments before. Or at least that's why they did it last year. This was the call that I asked Jason Loy to attend last year where the ACUI person from Indiana asked if it would be OK to guarantee three rounds and seven byes. (Do I have that right, Jason?) But they also want the experienced folks to chip in. It's a good thing they do that. :)

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

socalcaptain wrote:Dylan, can you still come?
WUSTL is bringing Dylan, so presumably.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Good. Thanks again for bringing him!

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Well, I'm alive and still have all my hair intact. So you can tell that this went pretty well.

WUSTL A won Division I, and WUSTL C won Division II.

Full stats are on another computer, but I should be receiving an email sometime soon with them.

Charbroil

Post by Charbroil »

Stats are here.