Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

College Teams

Discuss collegiate quizbowl here!
KyleYehle

College Teams

Post by KyleYehle »

After graduating next year, I would like to extend my Quiz Bowl career into college. I haven't decided on a college yet, but I've got a rough list that I've been thinking about:

Northwest Missouri State
Missouri
Kansas
Iowa State

Do any of those colleges already have teams (I've heard a lot about Missouri)? If not, how hard would it be to start a college team?

Mickey0R0urke

Re: College Teams

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Iowa State has gone to things recently and hosts stuff, so that could be another school for you.

For starting up a team, generally you have to go to your University's New Programs office and get a certain number of people to agree to participate. It really just depends on the University you're at.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

NWMO and Kansas don't have teams.

KyleYehle

Post by KyleYehle »

NWMO and Kansas don't have teams.
Hmm, well that narrows down the list to three. Say, how do you college kids travel to quiz bowls at other colleges anyway? Do you just all pool into someone's vehicle and declare a road trip?

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

That's pretty much the standard, yes. Mizzou has only flown once, and that was to Stanford. We pretty much just drive everywhere; most tournaments we want to go to have a site within 7-8 hours (Chicago, UIUC, and WashU all host stuff regularly, in addition to many other places in that radius).

octo

Post by octo »

Car, charter bus, plane

L-Town Expatriate
Location: Riding a Mule down the Katy Trail to the State Fair

Post by L-Town Expatriate »

ashkenaziCD wrote:NWMO and Kansas don't have teams.
But Truman does. NW is too busy becoming the Auburn of D-II, if not Central or Pitt State.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Man, do you ever make references that are remotely comprehensible? Is there some twin of yours out there who reads this and understands your private language together?

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

I understood that reference...

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

You really pay attention to athletics at NWMO, Pitt State, or whichever Central he's talking about? I know full well who Auburn is.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

I don't know a whole lot about it, but I do know that NWMO and Pitt State are perennially contenders for the D-II football championship.

Anyway, we're off track.

Sykology

Post by Sykology »

Does Vanderbilt still have a team? From what I've read it seems like Vandy has a decent quiz bowl affiliation in the past, but I am having a hard time finding any recent quiz bowl activity for Vanderbilt. I know there used to be a generally well-received tournament hosted at Vanderbilt? Anyway, if the team is no longer active, I would really like to help start it back up when I arrive as a freshman this fall. Not really sure about how college quiz bowl works, though, so that may be over the top.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Sykology wrote:Does Vanderbilt still have a team? From what I've read it seems like Vandy has a decent quiz bowl affiliation in the past, but I am having a hard time finding any recent quiz bowl activity for Vanderbilt. I know there used to be a generally well-received tournament hosted at Vanderbilt? Anyway, if the team is no longer active, I would really like to help start it back up when I arrive as a freshman this fall. Not really sure about how college quiz bowl works, though, so that may be over the top.
Brent, Vanderbilt's team still exists. They went to SCT this past year at Virginia Tech and competed, so you will still be able to play as much quizbowl as you want, hopefully. If you look at the Vanderbilt club on NAQT's site, it should tell you who to contact, hopefully.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

Vanderbilt actually doesn't have much of a team right now. That sectional appearance was their sole tournament appearance this year. There probably are people involved who would go to stuff if you were interested in prodding them that way.

Sykology

Post by Sykology »

Yeah, I've already talked to a person or two that will also be a freshmen and there is some interest. I'll try to get in contact with someone, as I really am not ready to be done with quiz bowl. Just wondering, but is specialization more popular in college? It seems like the information gets in-depth enough that it would be almost mandatory? Also, is ABC still happening?

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

Sykology wrote:Not really sure about how college quiz bowl works, though, so that may be over the top.
I understand your hesitation, but just know that if you're passionate enough, you'll figure it all out. You have plenty of resources to help you - Charlie and I rebooted a defunct Mizzou team from scratch, so with the tiny bit of inertia still going at Vandy you have it even easier. I can't speak personally for everyone on this board, but I'm confident in saying most of us are willing to give you all the help you ask for!

Sykology

Post by Sykology »

socalcaptain wrote:
Sykology wrote:Not really sure about how college quiz bowl works, though, so that may be over the top.
I understand your hesitation, but just know that if you're passionate enough, you'll figure it all out. You have plenty of resources to help you - Charlie and I rebooted a defunct Mizzou team from scratch, so with the tiny bit of inertia still going at Vandy you have it even easier. I can't speak personally for everyone on this board, but I'm confident in saying most of us are willing to give you all the help you ask for!
Sounds good, thanks. I found the contact info for the person in charge so I'm just going to try to get a feel for what the condition of the program is at the moment. In the meantime, I should probably try to become a better player, since I never was that great in high school... I just enjoy it, lol.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

As far as I know, the ABC tournament is dead.

Charlie Dees

Post by Charlie Dees »

No it's not, they hosted it on an IS set in the fall. http://naqt.com/stats/tournament-teams. ... nt_id=4006