Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Penn-ance Mirror October 27, 2012 at WUSTL

Discuss collegiate quizbowl here!
scphilli

Penn-ance Mirror October 27, 2012 at WUSTL

Post by scphilli »

Thank you all for your patience in us figuring out how to do this since WUSTL had two of the worst possible weekends for this in the schedule, but thanks to Richard Yu pulling out a rabbit (mad props), we will be mirroring this after all.

This tournament will be written entirely by a team of James Lasker, Patrick Liao, Saajid Moyen, Eric Mukherjee, Sam Passaglia, Dallas Simons, David Xu, and Korey Gall. Eric Mukherjee will be head-editing, with assistance from Jerry Vinokurov.

All questions will be power marked and no question will go past the 8th line (including bolding for power). The target difficulty is equivalent to MAGNI, the tournament that held this spot in the schedule last year.

The distribution we are using is as follows:
4/4 Literature (1/1 World and Other)
4/4 History
4/4 Science (1/1 Math and Other)
3/3 Arts
3/3 RMP
1/1 SS
1/1 Geography, CE, Trash, and Other

Each packet will also have a tiebreaker tossup and an extra bonus, each from literature, history, or science.

No open teams (Sorry Charlie). Teams must be current students at the university or high school level.

We will use the following fee structure:
Base fee: $120 per team
Working buzzer discount: $10 each
Laptop discount (IF NEEDED; We will only honor this discount on a first come, first needed served basis): $10
Approved moderator discount: $15 each
Travel discount: $15 (more than 200 miles one way according to Google maps)

If you have any questions, please contact the tournament director Sean Phillips at seanqb1982@gmail.com

The tournament will be in Eads Hall, Building number 33 in the following map http://www.wustl.edu/community/visitors ... rthmap.pdf . Registration will be in Eads 102 starting at 8:30 am and rounds will begin at 9 am. I hope to see you all there!

Sean Phillips
Last edited by scphilli on Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mickey0R0urke

Re: Penn-ance Mirror October 27, 2012 at WUSTL

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

We're coming with one team and a buzzer system, plus my laptop if you need it. Jared should be emailing you this information soon.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Logistics info. added also Field so far:

Field (6/12)
Truman State 1 team, 1 buzzer, 1 laptop
Illinois 3 teams, 3 buzzers
SEMO 1 team
Tamil Tigers 1 team, 1 buzzer

Please send registrations to seanqb1982@gmail.com

Hope to see you there!
Last edited by scphilli on Tue Oct 23, 2012 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Registration for this will close at 12:00 am Thursday night/Friday morning. I will be sending registered teams an email this evening once I get off work.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

After 10 rounds of our double round robin, Illinois B leads Illinois A by one game thus earning the advantage in the final. The Tamil Tigers finished in third with a 7-3 record!

Stats for prelims are here:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... ble_rr%29/

Will post more once finals are done and I get dinner!

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

Illinois A won both games of an advantaged final to take the tournament outright with a 10-2 record. Full results are here:

http://www.hsquizbowl.org/db/tournament ... dividuals/

I would like to thank everyone who came to play today and hoped they enjoyed it! I would like to thank all our staffers, Spencer Fish, Nick, Curtis, Tirth, Sam Haynes, and mostly Richard Yu who did a lot of work in making this happen at the last minute! You all were awesome today! A huge congratulations to all the teams and our scoring leaders and Illinois for taking home the hardware!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Thanks a ton to Sean, Richard, and all of the other Wash U people who made this tournament possible. I had a good time today playing the Penn-ance set.
Last edited by Mickey0R0urke on Tue May 21, 2013 5:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

scphilli

Post by scphilli »

If anyone wants to see a detailed line of the finals go to: http://young-frankenstein.wustl.edu/sco ... ebreaker=0

then click on the scoresheets for Rounds 11 and 12. This is Gordon Arsenoff's program. I realized after writing the first thank you post that I neglected to thank him, first for being a friend then for also writing this wonderful program which saved so much time and resources today and also for being available throughout the day to discuss the program and what wasn't working 100% with it. I'm very lucky to have worked with him for 6 seasons now.