Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Collegiate Novice at The University of Missouri - Sept. 28th

Discuss collegiate quizbowl here!
khrum

Collegiate Novice at The University of Missouri - Sept. 28th

Post by khrum »

The University of Missouri Quizbowl Club will be hosting Collegiate Novice 4 on September 28th at the University of Missouri in Columbia, Missouri. Information about the set can be found here. This tournament will be co-directed by Avery Wagner and myself, Itamar Naveh-Benjamin. Eligibility for this event is governed by the following rules:

1. All ACF eligibility rules apply, except when they contradict the rules below.

2. This is a tournament for introducing collegiate novices to quizbowl. Consequently, no high school teams or players are eligible.

3. Anyone (who does not break Rules 1 or 2) who has never played quizbowl before is automatically eligible. Other academic competition does not count as quizbowl for this rule.

4. Players meeting one or more of the following criteria must apply to the head editor for special permission to play:

i. If you have already completed your second year of college (calculated from time in college, not credits). Time in a post-secondary high school program does not count.

ii. If you were ever on a playoff or top-bracket team at NAQT HSNCT or PACE NSC.

iii. If you have ever scored at least 30 points per game at any college tournament.

iv. If you have ever won any college tournament.

5. Anyone who does not fall into any of the four categories listed in Rule 4 is automatically eligible to play.

If one of these rules excludes you, but you would like to receive special permission to play, please email Andrew Hart at hartam@gmail.com.

Fee structure:
Base fee: $15 per player
Buzzers: -$5 per functioning buzzer system
Travel discount: -$10 per 200 miles one-way
Minimum fee: $5 per player

To register, email itamar_naveh_benjamin@yahoo.com with "Collegiate Novice" as the subject line.

Logistics:

We are going to set a soft field cap of 12 teams for this event. If we get enough interest, we may expand the field.

Registration for the tournament will begin at 8:30 am. The first game will begin at 9:30 am. There will be an hour-long lunch break that will begin sometime between 12 and 1. Depending on the size of the field, all teams will be guaranteed 8 to 10 rounds of play. The tournament should come to a close no later than 4:30 pm.

Field:
House (1)
Truman (1)
UIUC (1-2)
Kansas State (2)

Interest:

House (1)
Truman (1)

We hope to see a lot of new faces show up to this!

khrum

Re: Collegiate Novice at The University of Missouri - Sept. 28th

Post by khrum »

Updated the field with a couple of new registrations.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Stats can be found here.

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

Ok, so for the most part, this tournament was not a disaster and I'm glad it happened. That said, there is one main thing that could be improved.

The only thing I can remember that really caused problems is that you didn't include in the announcement where the tournament was going to be. I checked the posted announcements to see if they mentioned where the tournament is going to be, and when I didn't see the location posted, I called you (Itamar) to find out the location. However, due to the location on campus not being posted, Kansas State ended up staying at Rock Bridge High School for 20 minutes. Also, I didn't get an email saying where we should meet on campus or anything else to indicate where to go. This is something that should be done before every tournament.

EDIT: Also, I want to praise Itamar and Avery for doing a pretty good job of keeping their heads level and for keeping the tournament moving along. We started 20 minutes later than we wanted to and still were done by 3:45.

socalcaptain

Post by socalcaptain »

While I agree that it should have been communicated to teams where the building was, it *is* pretty clear from the announcement that the event was being held at the University and not at Rock Bridge HS.

All in all, this tournament ran really well and every issue was handled gracefully and quickly. I appreciated the early finish time!

Mickey0R0urke

Post by Mickey0R0urke »

socalcaptain wrote:While I agree that it should have been communicated to teams where the building was, it *is* pretty clear from the announcement that the event was being held at the University and not at Rock Bridge HS.

All in all, this tournament ran really well and every issue was handled gracefully and quickly. I appreciated the early finish time!
Right. I have no idea why they thought it would be at Rock Bridge, because the announcement makes it clear it's on campus. What I'm saying is, just remember to post and email the location on campus where the tournament will be and we should be good the next time Mizzou hosts (we're just going to call this a learning experience).