- Each game shall consist of two halves of ten tossups each, with each correct tossup followed by a three-part bonus. All tossups are five seconds, and there is no math computation.
- Correct tossup answers are ten points each, with additional five points will be awarded if a tossup is answered correctly before a pre-determined point. No penalty will be assessed for interrupting the moderator with an incorrect answer.
- The team that receives the bonus will have five seconds to answer each part. The moderator will prompt after four seconds.
- In the event a game is tied after regulation, additional tossups shall be read until the next change in score.
- Each team shall have one 30-second timeout per match. Substitutions, scorechecks, and team conferences may occur at the half, prior to overtime, or during any timeout called by either team.
- Teams rosters shall be limited to seven players; schools are encouraged to bring junior varsity and “B” teams to compete. Teams may play with fewer than four players. Rosters shall be submitted in advance and finalized at registration the morning of the tournament. Players may not change teams during the tournament.
We have secured The Scottie, written by members of the Glasgow (Ky.) Scholar Bowl Team. More information is available at https://hsquizbowl.org/forums/viewtopic ... 09&t=24136. This set is also in use at events hosted by Calvary Lutheran and Parkway South. If you compete at these or any other tournament using this set, you will be unable to compete at the Showdown. Additionally, we are currently limiting the field to 18 teams; this may expand depending on staff availability. Additional teams will be placed on a waitlist and contacted should an opening occur.
Teams will play five morning rounds, break for lunch, then return for at least three afternoon games. This setup is subject to change, depending on the number of teams signed up. Teams should begin logging in around 8 a.m., with the first round set for 8:15 a.m. and afternoon rounds slated to begin at 1:30 p.m. With the exception of any playoff games for trophies, we anticipate the last game ending between 4 and 5 p.m.
Fee structure is as follows, per school:
- Each team: $70
- Discount for providing a competent scorekeeper: $10
- Discount for providing a competent moderator: $20
The tournament is under the direction of Central High School Coach Madison Cochran and veteran scholar bowl moderator Kyle Hill of the Missouri Quizbowl Alliance, an organization dedicated to promoting quality scholar bowl tournaments around the state. We anticipate receiving certification and assistance from their membership. Participants will be expected to abide by the Honor Pledge and Section I (Ethics and Conduct) promulgated by the Partnership for Academic Competition Excellence (PACE).
To register for this tournament, please visit http://tinyurl.com/2021CentralShowdown. Teams outside Missouri who wish to compete need to register no later than January 19th, owing to the MSHSAA sanctioning process.
Questions concerning the tournament may be directed to either Madison Cochran at MCochran@spsmail.org or Kyle Hill at email@example.com. Please include “2021 Central Bulldog Showdown” in the subject line.
We look forward to seeing you via Zoom on February 20th!