Looking for practice material?

Find thousands of free archived packets for practice and study from the Quizbowl Packet Archive!

Head Coach Career Record

Discussion of quizbowl topics not related to specific tournaments
MCY

Head Coach Career Record

Post by MCY »

MSHSAA asked for a little background info for the sectionals. They asked about coaching record. I started to wonder, what would the landmark win totals for a coach. 100 wins is a big deal for football. What would that be for quiz bowl? Do we have any coaching records for the state?

MichaelMenkhus

Re: Head Coach Career Record

Post by MichaelMenkhus »

It's an interesting question. Once upon a time, a coach or team getting somewhere in the range of 35-40 wins in a season would probably be an enormous accomplishment (since so many tournaments were either after schools or were limited-round conference tournaments).

If my count is correct, Fair Grove A has won over 50 games this semester at non-district, non-conference tournaments.

In terms of what a "landmark win total" would be... Assuming a team attends 8 MOQBA-style events a season and wins an average of 8 games at those tournaments, and a coach does that for 10 years... That'd be 640 wins. Add in an additional 4ish wins a year from the state series, and we get close enough to 700 wins. 700 wins seems like a nice landmark number to me, but curious as to what others might think.

dwd50

Re: Head Coach Career Record

Post by dwd50 »

It's also a question of does that just include your A team, or do B, C, etc., count towards the record.

Anyway, I don't even think they publish the coach's record in the state programs, or at least I don't remember that being the case when we've gone.

Usually I just make up numbers when that comes up.